Philly Inquirer: The USFL will be back

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
4th&long
MVP

Philly Inquirer: The USFL will be back

Post by 4th&long »

https://www.inquirer.com/sports/usfl-re ... ource=t.co

>> Daryl Johnston, executive vice president of football operations, didn’t think the level of play in the early weeks of the United States Football League met his expectations.

The adjustments that followed, in Johnston’s eyes, have helped carry the USFL to its championship week, pitting the Philadelphia Stars and the Birmingham Stallions on Sunday at 7:30 p.m. The game will be played at Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium in Canton, Ohio.

“I think the big thing for us is how much further down the road are we going to be Week 1 of year two,” Johnston said. “And how can we make that starting point a little bit better.” <<

Perfect timing as the Big news paper of the city puts out a USFL article.
4th&long
MVP

Re: Philly Inquirer: The USFL will be back

Post by 4th&long »

Here's something else that was interesting from the Bart Andrus interview:

>>“What they’ve done here is build a sustainable business model,” Andrus said. “I didn’t even really see that in the XFL during the 2020 season. I just kept saying to myself this isn’t sustainable. They were top heavy in administration and had big salaries for a lot of guys.” <<

Interesting...
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

4th&long wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:33 am Here's something else that was interesting from the Bart Andrus interview:

>>“What they’ve done here is build a sustainable business model,” Andrus said. “I didn’t even really see that in the XFL during the 2020 season. I just kept saying to myself this isn’t sustainable. They were top heavy in administration and had big salaries for a lot of guys.” <<

Interesting...
You mean the starting quarterbacks that actually drew the TV ratings that were consistently higher than the USFL's? I'm sorry if viewers were more interested in seeing Josh Johnson or Landry Jones instead of Case Cookus, but there was a reason for that, and it showed on the field and in the stands.

The XFL paid most of its rank and file players LESS than the USFL's. The only thing the USFL has as a net financial advantage is the smaller roster size. Even the single market ended up biting them with depressed attendance.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:53 am
4th&long wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:33 am Here's something else that was interesting from the Bart Andrus interview:

Interesting...
You mean the starting quarterbacks that actually drew the TV ratings that were consistently higher than the USFL's? I'm sorry if viewers were more interested in seeing Josh Johnson or Landry Jones instead of Case Cookus, but there was a reason for that, and it showed on the field and in the stands.

The XFL paid most of its rank and file players LESS than the USFL's. The only thing the USFL has as a net financial advantage is the smaller roster size. Even the single market ended up biting them with depressed attendance.
XFL and USFL non QB pay was almost exactly the same with all bonuses at 55k a full season.

XFL got better TV ratings due to weather primarily as people are home bound and there was less competition on TV. No NBA or NHL playoffs or MLB and WINTER and Market size. The QB play was slightly better in the XFL (im a long time Johnson fan), but that wasn't the driver.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

Interesting...

It literally says he’s talking about them being top heavy with administration……. Xfl 2020 was great hell it was the best spring football league since the og USFL but that doesn’t mean it was perfect and that’s ok to say. There was flaws mainly in how high expenses were
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:51 pm

Interesting...

It literally says he’s talking about them being top heavy with administration……. Xfl 2020 was great hell it was the best spring football league since the og USFL but that doesn’t mean it was perfect and that’s ok to say. There was flaws mainly in how high expenses were
Herns,

Meaning what Andrus said?.. absolutely.

The XFL and USFL had nearly identical pay scales for non-QB play. The QB's were paid more, but some were busts like C Jones, McGloin and Flowers. The play was slightly better in the XFL due to larger roster and extra week or 2 of camp (at least for the early games), but not enough to drive the TV ratings.

The TV ratings for XFL were higher than USFL due primarily:

1) Playing in WINTER - You have a captured in home audience looking for something to watch
2) Teams in Markets making up 22% of households (AAF was 9.3%, USFL 16.1%). XFL 3.0 is look at 12.3%.
3) Two year run up to launch
4) Two MAJOR network groups televising and promoting the league, with dedicated sports focus, using their Broadcast and Top cable ch primarily.
5) A preset and more regular TV schedule that allowed fans more easily find and tune in
6) Playing games in Market helped fan interest.
7) No major competition through week 5 XFL 2.0

Those are all legit reason, some of those will not apply in XFL 3.0 at least not in full or at same level. We'll see how things progress in the months ahead.