SBJ: BREAKING - USFL Return confirmed, to play in 2/4 Markets

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
4th&long
MVP

SBJ: BREAKING - USFL Return confirmed, to play in 2/4 Markets

Post by 4th&long »

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/D ... n-Fox.aspx

>> Shanks, who also serves as Chair of the USFL BOD, said that the league will continue to have its league office in Birmingham, where it has played all of its games this season. But the USFL’s eight teams will play out of between two and four markets next season, meaning each market will house multiple teams. Eventually, the plan is for all the teams to be in their home markets. “We’re talking to those cities now in terms of how many we’re going to be in locally,” Shanks said during a telephone interview over the weekend.

The league, which plays its inaugural championship game this weekend, will not expand the number of teams next season beyond eight, but it expects to add more teams by 2024
~
Shanks said. “If anything, the success of season one makes me even more excited than we were before going into Season 2 and beyond."

The decision to embark on a second season is noteworthy, as several spring leagues, including the Alliance of American Football and two versions of the XFL, failed to make it past one year. A third version of the XFL is slated to launch next spring and compete with the USFL.
<<

HUGE News
GDAWG
MVP

Re: SBJ: BREAKING - USFL Return confirmed, to play in 2/4 Markets

Post by GDAWG »

2 to 4 markets? Hopefully the stadiums won't be too big. They might not have any choice in Pittsburgh and Tampa but 5 other cities have options outside NFL stadiums.
SamTheRam28
Quarterback

Post by SamTheRam28 »

Really hoping for 4 obviously. Seems like Birmingham and Philadelphia are the obvious ones. I'd guess Detroit and New Orleans if they do 4 cities.

I'd like to see:

Birmingham - Protective Stadium (47,100)

Philadelphia - Subaru Park (18,500) if possible, Franklin Field (52,958) or Lincoln Financial Field (69,879) if not

Detroit - Ford Field (65,000)

New Orleans - Yulman Stadium (30,000)

Philly is a weird one because there aren't any great options. Subaru Park would be nice but I just don't know if it's possible, especially for all 10 weeks, with the MLS team playing at the same time. Franklin Field is nice looking and a better size, but may be too old for the league. The Link would look as bad as Metlife did for the Guardians on TV.

Detroit only has Ford Field which is huge, but they could darken the upper deck like the Commanders and BattleHawks did with their domes in the AAF & XFL and it'd look alright.

Birmingham and New Orleans both have really good stadiums, assuming Tulane would let the league use Yulman.
St. Louis BattleHawks
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

SamTheRam28 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:19 pm Really hoping for 4 obviously. Seems like Birmingham and Philadelphia are the obvious ones. I'd guess Detroit and New Orleans if they do 4 cities.

I'd like to see:

Philadelphia - Subaru Park (18,500) if possible, Franklin Field (52,958) or Lincoln Financial Field (69,879) if not

Philly is a weird one because there aren't any great options. Subaru Park would be nice but I just don't know if it's possible, especially for all 10 weeks, with the MLS team playing at the same time. Franklin Field is nice looking and a better size, but may be too old for the league. The Link would look as bad as Metlife did for the Guardians on TV.

Detroit only has Ford Field which is huge, but they could darken the upper deck like the Commanders and BattleHawks did with their domes in the AAF & XFL and it'd look alright.

Birmingham and New Orleans both have really good stadiums, assuming Tulane would let the league use Yulman.
Detroit could go for Eastern Michigan's Stadium, which seats 30,000.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

If they're saying 2-4, it's going to be 2.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Tank55 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:03 pm If they're saying 2-4, it's going to be 2.
Probably, but the poor attendance in Birmingham for games not involving the Stallions—and only marginal improvement in Canton—may force their hand.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:07 am https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/D ... n-Fox.aspx

>> Shanks, who also serves as Chair of the USFL BOD, said that the league will continue to have its league office in Birmingham, where it has played all of its games this season. But the USFL’s eight teams will play out of between two and four markets next season, meaning each market will house multiple teams. Eventually, the plan is for all the teams to be in their home markets. “We’re talking to those cities now in terms of how many we’re going to be in locally,” Shanks said during a telephone interview over the weekend.

The league, which plays its inaugural championship game this weekend, will not expand the number of teams next season beyond eight, but it expects to add more teams by 2024
~
Shanks said. “If anything, the success of season one makes me even more excited than we were before going into Season 2 and beyond."

The decision to embark on a second season is noteworthy, as several spring leagues, including the Alliance of American Football and two versions of the XFL, failed to make it past one year. A third version of the XFL is slated to launch next spring and compete with the USFL.
<<

HUGE News
If they can do 4 hubs League will be in great shape next year attendance and social media marketing wise.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Here's my "hook or by crook" games in markets on the cheap pitch to the USFL 2023.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

SamTheRam28 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:19 pm Really hoping for 4 obviously. Seems like Birmingham and Philadelphia are the obvious ones. I'd guess Detroit and New Orleans if they do 4 cities.

I'd like to see:

Franklin Field hosts the Penn Relays the same weekend as the USFL opening weekend, so that might cause some problems.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:40 pm Probably, but the poor attendance in Birmingham for games not involving the Stallions—and only marginal improvement in Canton—may force their hand.
Let's hope. But two hubs gives you enough games with home crowds for FOX and NBC, and they can hide the rest of the cable networks/Peacock.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion