SBJ: BREAKING - USFL Return confirmed, to play in 2/4 Markets

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
4th&long
MVP

Re: SBJ: BREAKING - USFL Return confirmed, to play in 2/4 Markets

Post by 4th&long »

4th&long wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:43 pm Here's my "hook or by crook" games in markets on the cheap pitch to the USFL 2023.
I got cut off so here goes:

I really don't see them going into 4 markets just yet, but well maybe they can in a neo-hub style. I've posted about this for a while on XFL Board and ArenaFan already

Philly is the logical choice up north due to its presense along the NJ border were it can effectively pull some fans from that Market. Granted the NJ teams is targeting North NJ/NY area- but beggars can't be choosers.

The Subaru Park is just o/s of philadelphia city which avoid all those related regs and costs. It's home to Philadelphia Unon MLS Soccer - they may not go for 20 games but... Even if Philly/NJ/Mich/Pitt played a round robin style 4 weeks there - the league could squeeze in 6-8 games in say weeks 4-7.

NJ at Philly
Pitt at Philly & Mich at NJ
Mich at Philly & Pitt at NJ
Philly at NJ
(6 games)

All other games back in Birm.

But you could add like so:
NJ at Philly
Philly at NJ & Mich at Pitt
NJ at Mich and Philly at Pitt
NJ at Pitt and Philly at Mich
(9 games - 4 philly in market, 4 NJ near market)
All other games back in Birm. And that only leaves one Mich/Pitt game played in Philly.

Something along those lines.

Also NOLA - can do a XFL-esq practice in place (Birm), but play in NO w/o flying as Birm to NO is busing distance.

They could add 5-9 games that way (playing Birm in NOLA is net no gain).

Conclusion: The USFL can go from 10 in market games to as few as 21 or as many as 26 using a low cost partial northern hub and NOLA game day only strategy. That covers 65% of the games providing TV with a better audience while more importantly building fan bases in 4 local markets. That's my 4th&long USFL Yr 2 strategy.
super390
Receiver

Post by super390 »

I've always felt Pittsburgh was the odd team out.
They need another Midwestern team so that city and the Panthers can share a home base.

New Orleans and Houston can share, or they can consider moving a southern team so that Tampa can share with another Florida team. I'm not exactly seeing Gamblers fever here in Houston. Maybe Birmingham shares with a new Memphis team if that's not a sign of the Apocalypse.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:13 pm
4th&long wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:43 pm Here's my "hook or by crook" games in markets on the cheap pitch to the USFL 2023.

I really don't see them going into 4 markets just yet, but well maybe they can in a neo-hub style. I've posted about this for a while on XFL Board and ArenaFan already

Philly is the logical choice up north due to its presense along the NJ border were it can effectively pull some fans from that Market. Granted the NJ teams is targeting North NJ/NY area- but beggars can't be choosers.

The Subaru Park is just o/s of philadelphia city which avoid all those related regs and costs. It's home to Philadelphia Unon MLS Soccer - they may not go for 20 games but... Even if Philly/NJ/Mich/Pitt played a round robin style 4 weeks there - the league could squeeze in 6-8 games in say weeks 4-7.

NJ at Philly
Philly at NJ
(6 games)

NJ at Philly
All other games back in Birm. And that only leaves one Mich/Pitt game played in Philly.

Also NOLA - can do a XFL-esq practice in place (Birm), but play in NO w/o flying as Birm to NO is busing distance.

Conclusion: The USFL can go from 10 in market games to as few as 21 or as many as 26 using a low cost partial northern hub and NOLA game day only strategy. That covers 65% of the games providing TV with a better audience while more importantly building fan bases in 4 local markets. That's my 4th&long USFL Yr 2 strategy.
They have a second team playing there, called (unsurprisingly) The Philadelphia Union II, so the dates might be filled up with the Union and it's partner team, so there might not be any free dates for the XFL.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:33 pm

NJ at Philly
Philly at NJ
(6 games)

NJ at Philly

They have a second team playing there, called (unsurprisingly) The Philadelphia Union II, so the dates might be filled up with the Union and it's partner team, so there might not be any free dates for the XFL.
When does this soccer madness end... (breaths deep)...
I had to look...there are more people in the men's room at a Maulers Panthers game in Birmingham than attend these games.
https://www.mlsnextpro.com/competitions ... 5-16-2022/

Ok I stepped off the bridge... This stinks... 3rd tier US Soccer- MLS Next Pro please.
But there is no way they are not passing up a rent check for PU-Too :lol:

They'll work around the Union of course. It can easily be done

On a related note... we can have 5 leagues of sub MLS teams - but not one 8 team sub NFL FB league (smacks head)
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:24 am
GDAWG wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:33 pm

NJ at Philly
Philly at NJ
(6 games)

NJ at Philly

When does this soccer madness end... (breaths deep)...
I had to look...there are more people in the men's room at a Maulers Panthers game in Birmingham than attend these games.
https://www.mlsnextpro.com/competitions ... 5-16-2022/

Ok I stepped off the bridge... This stinks... 3rd tier US Soccer- MLS Next Pro please.
But there is no way they are not passing up a rent check for PU-Too :lol:

They'll work around the Union of course. It can easily be done

On a related note... we can have 5 leagues of sub MLS teams - but not one 8 team sub NFL FB league (smacks head)
They will work with the Union. They do not own the stadium but are the primary tenant, therefore have first priority on dates.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Another thing, I think that the Chicago Blitz should have been one of the original 8 teams and then in 2023, have one of the hubs play in Chicago. This way, the USFL can test to see if Chicago can support a non-NFL team, which they have never done before.
super390
Receiver

Post by super390 »

The original Blitz would have done fine if the owner hadn't swapped franchises in 1984. That roster that was brought in from Arizona had no chance.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

super390 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:07 pm The original Blitz would have done fine if the owner hadn't swapped franchises in 1984. That roster that was brought in from Arizona had no chance.
That and Marv Levy could have sued for false pretense, as he was hired before. But there was no money, just mountain ranges of debt.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

GDAWG wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:26 pm Another thing, I think that the Chicago Blitz should have been one of the original 8 teams and then in 2023, have one of the hubs play in Chicago. This way, the USFL can test to see if Chicago can support a non-NFL team, which they have never done before.
I never thought I'd see you advocate for Chicago.

The thing with these hubs is they're not test runs, they're actually much more intense than just a single team. Even if you forget all the games that don't involve the home team, that's still 10 games (or potentially 9 with two hubs) rather than 5 you're asking the market to support.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Tank55 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:08 pm
GDAWG wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:26 pm Another thing, I think that the Chicago Blitz should have been one of the original 8 teams and then in 2023, have one of the hubs play in Chicago. This way, the USFL can test to see if Chicago can support a non-NFL team, which they have never done before.
I never thought I'd see you advocate for Chicago.

The thing with these hubs is they're not test runs, they're actually much more intense than just a single team. Even if you forget all the games that don't involve the home team, that's still 10 games (or potentially 9 with two hubs) rather than 5 you're asking the market to support.
They haven't supported non NFL football before and I have always said that in order for these alternative leagues to know if Chicago works, have neutral site games there. A Northern based hub in Chicago would have been the best way to know if the USFL 2.0 can work in Chicago.