Larry Fedora mentions he’s heard rumors of expansion

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
GDAWG
MVP

Re: Larry Fedora mentions he’s heard rumors of expansion

Post by GDAWG »

MGB01 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:38 am Oh so I guess the stadium that just hosted eight weeks of the USFL is only used for that and the six UAB games

Good to know
No I am saying that most NFL stadiums are only used for 10-20 events a year and a lot of those stadiums are in good condition. I don't consider the stadium that just hosted the USFL, since they also host about 15-20 Birmingham Legion soccer games.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Just these stadiums that house both NFL and MLS teams, obviously that isn't just "10-20 events a year", and that's not even adding concerts, truck rallies what have you.

What do you think SoFi or AT&T look like for the next year?
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

MGB01 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:57 am Just these stadiums that house both NFL and MLS teams, obviously that isn't just "10-20 events a year", and that's not even adding concerts, truck rallies what have you.

What do you think SoFi or AT&T look like for the next year?
I don't know about SoFi, but AT&T has it's usual 8-10 Cowboys games (could be as much as 12 as pre-season and post season games count) and 2 college football games. It has the occasional concert, soccer game, other big event like March Madness or Wrestlemania but that doesn't happen every year. It's the stadium that will be the home of the Dallas Renegades that will have more events.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

GDAWG wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:48 am
MGB01 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:38 am Oh so I guess the stadium that just hosted eight weeks of the USFL is only used for that and the six UAB games

Good to know
No I am saying that most NFL stadiums are only used for 10-20 events a year and a lot of those stadiums are in good condition. I don't consider the stadium that just hosted the USFL, since they also host about 15-20 Birmingham Legion soccer games.
But really, those stadiums are so big that they don't really have much other use than for the NFL. That's the huge controversy about the Buffalo stadium—they're spending a lot of money for a stadium that's not going to be useful for anything but the Bills. Most people wanted a dome, and more central location to get enough stadiums within an hour to host a Super Bowl. I suggested a stadium more along the lines of an upscaled CFL venue, which would've cost less than half the current proposal yet had many of the same amenities. The Bills (from which the current XFL staff were ousted a few years back) conspired with local media to plant stories that pooh-poohed all opposing ideas.
biggy734
Linebacker

Post by biggy734 »

So if they’re doing two hubs and potentially adding teams, you would think that would be 4 more teams. That gives you 6 teams at each hub, they play the other 5 teams twice and they never have to travel until the playoffs.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

biggy734 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:23 pm So if they’re doing two hubs and potentially adding teams, you would think that would be 4 more teams. That gives you 6 teams at each hub, they play the other 5 teams twice and they never have to travel until the playoffs.
I feel like that’ll be it if they go the expansion+hubs route. Try and get an NL vs AL mlb feel
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

I am always leery of new leagues expanding way too fast. If I am the USFL, I would wait until I get into the cities and get established in those cities before I consider expansion. New leagues expanding too fast tend to spell the beginning of the end of those type of leagues.

I'd wait at least 3-4 years before expansion should be an option.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:26 pm I am always leery of new leagues expanding way too fast. If I am the USFL, I would wait until I get into the cities and get established in those cities before I consider expansion. New leagues expanding too fast tend to spell the beginning of the end of those type of leagues.

I'd wait at least 3-4 years before expansion should be an option.
The only reason I could see for expansion is if Fox or NBC or a new partner is looking to televise MORE games. And I only see 2 teams. Could CBS/Paramount+ or NF or Apple be looking for content? Possible. Otherwise it could be expansion/contraction ie moving teams. Or its just an idea with rumor.