SBJ: Fox, NBC pleased with USFL

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
MGB01
MVP

Re: SBJ: Fox, NBC pleased with USFL

Post by MGB01 »

It also should be remembered that MLS is the soccer league in the states (with USL as their feeder). So naturally, even if it is inflato money it is what it is (remember they don't ask how it's how many). Now the question is is this part of a last minute push for Sunday Ticket or is this the recognition that they're probably running third to Amazon and Disney?

Either way, they and the USFL aren't exactly the same fruit here.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:56 pm Right, they want subscribers. And despite their national TV ratings, MLS is positioned to deliver. USFL can sleepwalk to respectable broadcast ratings, but they wouldn't be able to move the needle for a paid platform. (Just ask Peacock.)

Because they are different. And that's OK. They both have things to offer media companies.
MLS is not positioned to deliver... much. I assume you are saying that rabid fan base that goes to games will now sign up for AppleTV in sizable numbers? I don't buy that... but Apple needs sports and will be working hard to get them to sign up. And Apple needs something LIVE to attract people, something to offer subscribers, and MLS was available.

Perhaps you are right the USFL isn't mature enough to attract those subscriptions... but certainly more people will watch USFL over MLS on TV. I do not think USFL is destination viewing and that will take a while, which I guess is saying the same thing. That is why going up against beautiful summer weather is going to be hard.
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

Every MLS season ticket holder gets a free subscription to Apple TV. With 28 teams and let's say an average of 7500 season ticket holders that's 200k subscriptions right off the bat.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

4th&long wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:11 pmI assume you are saying that rabid fan base that goes to games will now sign up for AppleTV in sizable numbers? I don't buy that...
Fine. But understand that's what Apple is buying, not their TV ratings.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion