Union Vote and merger impact? what else?

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
4th&long
MVP

Union Vote and merger impact? what else?

Post by 4th&long »

>> Sportico@Sportico
The @USFL players union is expected to start bargaining on a labor contract, once this week’s election results are officially certified by the National Relations Labor Board.
10:30 PM · Jun 7, 2022·TweetDeck <<

While I think this union vote was ridiculous and detrimental to the leagues success what other impact could it have?

The XFL (read RBC) is watching this, what concerns will they have. What shortterm benefit do they see this giving the XFL? Does the fact that two similar leagues exist give the players more leverage (imo-yes).
And does the union help the USFL to attract players? What leverage do they really have with players signing 2 yr contracts? How does this make Fox/RBC think long term?
Lots of questions but there will be some impact.
herns
Head Coach

Re: Union Vote and merger impact? what else?

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:08 pm

>> Sportico@Sportico
The @USFL players union is expected to start bargaining on a labor contract, once this week’s election results are officially certified by the National Relations Labor Board.

While I think this union vote was ridiculous and detrimental to the leagues success what other impact could it have?

The XFL (read RBC) is watching this, what concerns will they have. What shortterm benefit do they see this giving the XFL? Does the fact that two similar leagues exist give the players more leverage (imo-yes).
And does the union help the USFL to attract players? What leverage do they really have with players signing 2 yr contracts? How does this make Fox/RBC think long term?
The positives would be fox being forced to listen to the players so changes in roster size wouldn’t have to come mid season and hopefully there’s longer camps. As long as the union isn’t asking for crazy things it’s going to be a positive for the players and league. I would also say yes a union will help get some players, not many but some. The organization behind the USFL pa has said they’re planning on establishing an xfl one as well I don’t think it’s going to end in a merger but at the very least it’s interesting
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:03 am
4th&long wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:08 pm

>> Sportico@Sportico

The positives would be fox being forced to listen to the players so changes in roster size wouldn’t have to come mid season and hopefully there’s longer camps. As long as the union isn’t asking for crazy things it’s going to be a positive for the players and league. I would also say yes a union will help get some players, not many but some. The organization behind the USFL pa has said they’re planning on establishing an xfl one as well I don’t think it’s going to end in a merger but at the very least it’s interesting
I'm looking at it from perspective of the league, the players getting paid more isn't a positive from their perspective or long term league survival. Hence why I think its ridiculous at this time. Raising cost into what looks like a recession isn't going to help USFL chances (or XFL for that matter).
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Ownership has a ton of leverage; I think they're more or less going to be able to dictate terms. This isn't the NFL where everyone loses money if the league doesn't play a season or even the CFL where you'll be the villain if this cultural institution is lost. The USFL ownership can honestly say, "we're losing money funding this league. This is all we are comfortable offering. Take it or leave it."

Hopefully from the player's side, having a united front will at least give them a sense of agency. And maybe having the players organized will at least make communication easier for the league.

From the XFL's perspective, this will undoubtedly happen to them as well. I think I like the USFL having to go first. Surely there will be lessons to be learned from both sides of the table.

I basically agree that this isn't super helpful for a league trying to get on its feet. I also don't think it's the end of the world. And there will be some silver linings.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:33 am Ownership has a ton of leverage; I think they're more or less going to be able to dictate terms. This isn't the NFL where everyone loses money if the league doesn't play a season or even the CFL where you'll be the villain if this cultural institution is lost. The USFL ownership can honestly say, "we're losing money funding this league. This is all we are comfortable offering. Take it or leave it."

Hopefully from the player's side, having a united front will at least give them a sense of agency. And maybe having the players organized will at least make communication easier for the league.

From the XFL's perspective, this will undoubtedly happen to them as well. I think I like the USFL having to go first. Surely there will be lessons to be learned from both sides of the table.

I basically agree that this isn't super helpful for a league trying to get on its feet. I also don't think it's the end of the world. And there will be some silver linings.
I hope you are correct.
SamTheRam28
Quarterback

Post by SamTheRam28 »

Tank55 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:33 am Ownership has a ton of leverage; I think they're more or less going to be able to dictate terms. This isn't the NFL where everyone loses money if the league doesn't play a season or even the CFL where you'll be the villain if this cultural institution is lost. The USFL ownership can honestly say, "we're losing money funding this league. This is all we are comfortable offering. Take it or leave it."

This is a great point and something I hadn't really considered. The CFL was backed into a corner and had to give in to the CFLPA because they couldn't afford to miss a season. FOX can dump this league after this year no problem if the players demand too much.

I don't think this is the end of the world either. And like you said, the XFL will undoubtedly deal with this as well.
St. Louis BattleHawks
XFLUSFLGUY
Running Back

Post by XFLUSFLGUY »

Why would the vote to unionize be a factor in a merger? I’m genuinely asking as I don’t understand much about the whole unionization of things.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

SamTheRam28 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:32 pm

This is a great point and something I hadn't really considered. The CFL was backed into a corner and had to give in to the CFLPA because they couldn't afford to miss a season. FOX can dump this league after this year no problem if the players demand too much.

I don't think this is the end of the world either. And like you said, the XFL will undoubtedly deal with this as well.
The XFL might deal with it differently though since The Rock is a member of the Screen Actors Guild and I think Dani Garcia is a member of the Producers Guild.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

XFLUSFLGUY wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:40 pm Why would the vote to unionize be a factor in a merger? I’m genuinely asking as I don’t understand much about the whole unionization of things.
If the two league see the unions as using the XFL to play off the USFL and vice versa, then it would make sense to merge. The players would also have considerably less options in this case. The last thing the leagues want is a real bidding war for talent with the union pushing it. The USFLPA or what ever they call it is already saying they will be looking to force the USFL to pay supposed XFL salaries.
- Is that giving the union too much credit? Perhaps, but is likely a concern for both leagues.

That's just one aspect and one POV but there's likely much more.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:47 pm
SamTheRam28 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:32 pm

The XFL might deal with it differently though since The Rock is a member of the Screen Actors Guild and I think Dani Garcia is a member of the Producers Guild.
I seriously doubt that SAG or PG membership is going to get in the way of their decision about their money. And RBC is likely calling the shots.