Vote for the USFLPA coming on the 6th

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
herns
Head Coach

Vote for the USFLPA coming on the 6th

Post by herns »

If the vote passes which I assume it will then that will mean we have a USFL Player Association and CBA negotiations may begin in the off-season. So long as requests are reasonable this could help the players get better contracts, more money, and more negotiating power. Having a PA may help the league being in some players as well so long as the league appears viable and does well in year 2. There are obvious possible negatives but there are also positives
MGB01
MVP

Re: Vote for the USFLPA coming on the 6th

Post by MGB01 »

It'll be worth it just to see Florio report on it, and then take both sides (pretending to be concerned for the league's survival, but with a Cubby Chubby for the players--he is a MONEYMAN BAD/BAAAD/BAAAAAADDDD!!!!!!! lawyer after all).

And that way, he's never wrong (SEE IM TEH SMART/DERPZ!!!!!1111) :lol:
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:23 pm

If the vote passes which I assume it will then that will mean we have a USFL Player Association and CBA negotiations may begin in the off-season. So long as requests are reasonable this could help the players get better contracts, more money, and more negotiating power. Having a PA may help the league being in some players as well so long as the league appears viable and does well in year 2. There are obvious possible negatives but there are also positives
More negative for league survival chances, this is not good imo
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Maybe they just want something more for the league than the current (apparently won't change much in 2023) 'WE BUILT IT NOW COME!!!!!' strategy

Or three letters followed by 2.0
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

MGB01 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:44 pm Maybe they just want something more for the league than the current (apparently won't change much in 2023) 'WE BUILT IT NOW COME!!!!!' strategy

Or three letters followed by 2.0
Ya, I know farrow has said the early years of the league it’s more about making things like living situations and getting meal companies easy for the players to access and if the league sticks around then more bargaining on wages
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

It appears fox is not against the players Union, they may see it as a way to get a leg up on the xfl for next year as it can help bring in players if they know they have a PA, also having a PA does make it look more major league imo
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

Seems a little premature to me...
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

The guy who I was assured would be great pub for the USFL has chimed in on it:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... on-june-6/

Of course this time he takes the angle of pretending to care for alt-league players (after he, you know, has spent many a time over the years bashing said alt leagues/players), how cute..................................

If I was Moose, I'd come back and follow up to the players that if Florio's for it, you might wanna reconsider with everything I stated above. FOX, who predictably gets attacked at the end of the piece, might want to as well.
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

herns wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:15 am

It appears fox is not against the players Union, they may see it as a way to get a leg up on the xfl for next year as it can help bring in players if they know they have a PA, also having a PA does make it look more major league imo
I think it would look more major league if one of these spring leagues makes it past a couple seasons without getting buried for one reason or another. Maybe the USFL, XFL, or one of its teams gets to be worth over a billion dollars so they don’t eventually get pushed around by these unions’ demands. That would seem more major league to me.
nick1091
Running Back

Post by nick1091 »

MGB01 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:26 pm The guy who I was assured would be great pub for the USFL has chimed in on it:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... on-june-6/

Of course this time he takes the angle of pretending to care for alt-league players (after he, you know, has spent many a time over the years bashing said alt leagues/players), how cute..................................

If I was Moose, I'd come back and follow up to the players that if Florio's for it, you might wanna reconsider with everything I stated above. FOX, who predictably gets attacked at the end of the piece, might want to as well.
I'm certainly not shocked Florio is pro-union here. He's made a career about acting holier-than-thou about this stuff while he appears on NFL affiliated broadcasts so he can have his sanctimonious cake and eat it too.

That being said, of course it's in the player's best interest to unionize. Logistically, while it's obviously going to cost USFL some money and aggravation, there are benefits to collectively bargain with the players as well. Right now they're fortunate to be essentially being able to set the price point of salaries without competition, but what happens when (if?) XFL contract details come out and the salaries are decently higher? Easier to lobby with one collective group then deal with a lot of disgruntled players individually.