New details about USFL contracts show players may not be able to leave even if picked up and cut by an nfl

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
herns
Head Coach

New details about USFL contracts show players may not be able to leave even if picked up and cut by an nfl

Post by herns »

https://usflnewshub.com/usfl-news/exclu ... e-xfl-cfl/

This is a later addition but it boils down to getting an nfl contract no longer voids your USFL deal and if you’re cut by the nfl and want to continue playing it must be with the USFL. This is one of the first strike of the early spring football war but it looks like the USFL is attempting to bring back everyone not on an nfl roster
nick1091
Running Back

Re: New details about USFL contracts show players may not be able to leave even if picked up and cut by an nfl

Post by nick1091 »

I’m actually ok with this. It closes a loophole they probably should’ve considered when the originals went out.

That being said, if I’m a current player already under an original contract, there’s no way I’m signing this.
Gopher123
Quarterback

Re: New details about USFL contracts show players may not be able to leave even if picked up and cut by an nfl

Post by Gopher123 »

nick1091 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:29 pm I’m actually ok with this. It closes a loophole they probably should’ve considered when the originals went out.

That being said, if I’m a current player already under an original contract, there’s no way I’m signing this.
I agree, and would bet the vast majority won’t.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

herns wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:56 pm https://usflnewshub.com/usfl-news/exclu ... e-xfl-cfl/

This is a later addition but it boils down to getting an nfl contract no longer voids your USFL deal and if you’re cut by the nfl and want to continue playing it must be with the USFL. This is one of the first strike of the early spring football war but it looks like the USFL is attempting to bring back everyone not on an nfl roster
Basically it sounds like a mix of 'other league exempt' and rights to player X

Problem is while it seems a strike against the XFL it also looks like a kneejerk reaction to the current CFL mess, since they had such a back-and-forth with Derrick Jones this seems like something they'd want to stay away from.
Joker
Quarterback

Post by Joker »

Player just asks for the pizza and they get released. Right? That’s your loophole.
Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:56 pm https://usflnewshub.com/usfl-news/exclu ... e-xfl-cfl/

I'm glad. Hopefully alot of the post initial rosters are under this contract clause. While the XFL is trying to make points, USFL is not sleeping.

The Spring FB wars are in full stride!

It also tells me USFL is serious about year 2
SamTheRam28
Quarterback

Post by SamTheRam28 »

nick1091 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:29 pm I’m actually ok with this. It closes a loophole they probably should’ve considered when the originals went out.

I'd have to think there's some sort of bonus or other incentive to signing this. Otherwise, there's just no reason to. Even if you are enjoying your time in the USFL and think you want to return next year, keeping your options open is an obvious choice.
St. Louis BattleHawks
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

That's a reserve clause, and it has repeatedly been struck down in courts for decades.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

I'm not a lawyer, but it seems like they're trying to have their cake and eat it too. NFL won't work with any players under contract elsewhere, so this contract gives the USFL player a way out. But the contract reactivates once the player is cut by the NFL? Doesn't that sort of mean that the player does have a contracted relationship with another league the entire time?
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
SamTheRam28
Quarterback

Post by SamTheRam28 »

Tank55 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:25 am I'm not a lawyer, but it seems like they're trying to have their cake and eat it too. NFL won't work with any players under contract elsewhere, so this contract gives the USFL player a way out. But the contract reactivates once the player is cut by the NFL? Doesn't that sort of mean that the player does have a contracted relationship with another league the entire time?
The way I interpreted it was that this was an agreement to re-sign with the USFL upon termination in the NFL. It's not 100% clear, though. I could be wrong.
St. Louis BattleHawks