Murdoch says fox plans on building up and selling teams for the next 5-7 years

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
herns
Head Coach

Re: Murdoch says fox plans on building up and selling teams for the next 5-7 years

Post by herns »

GregParks wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:45 pm
MarkNelson wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:01 am I’m willing to hedge a bet that the XFL owners are no different. They want to build the league so they can sell franchises. Making a huge return on their investment. Don’t be disappointed if they say this is about football, because it is only partially about football.

I believe in my heart McMahon had more interest in the game of football. WWE shareholders saw it as an investment.
The Rock at least was in the same position a lot of these players are in, so he can relate to their struggles and their desire to have a place to play football and make a living. I truly don't think Vince McMahon could name a half-dozen current NFL players. Go back to his 2001 XFL press conference and when asked, the only players he could name were from decades before. He's famous for having little to no real-world current events knowledge outside of WWE and its business interests, which he lives and breathes 24/7.

Both ownership groups probably want(ed) to cash in on the exploding TV rights fees for sports. But in terms of which really has more interest in the game of football, I fall on the side of the the new ownership.
I do think you’re right, Vince was all in on proving it can work and he was the guy to make a great football alternative and seemed to really love it. It’s probably why it was the best spring league we’ve seen. I think that both leagues have people in charge who are passionate but they also have entities who are in it for other reasons
Gopher123
Quarterback

Re: Murdoch says fox plans on building up and selling teams for the next 5-7 years

Post by Gopher123 »

I’ve always been surprised it took Vince 20 years to relaunch. XFL 1.0 showed the interest/crowds were there to begin with. Was it necessary to wait that long to get rid of the sour taste? Or was it something else? After all, he was not a young man when he relaunched.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Supposedly, it was shooting the 30 for 30 that gave him the itch again.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion