Stadium Attendance for Playoffs?

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
CFLfan_inPhilly
Running Back

Stadium Attendance for Playoffs?

Post by CFLfan_inPhilly »

What the heck will stadium attendance look like for these upcoming playoff games in Canton ??

Is it too late to re-brand the Generals or the Stars as the Canton Bulldogs ??

The league should already be giving away freebie tickets to every citizen in that town... with the hope that just enough actually show up and make the stands appear respectable on TV.
4th&long
MVP

Re: Stadium Attendance for Playoffs?

Post by 4th&long »

CFLfan_inPhilly wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 4:01 pm What the heck will stadium attendance look like for these upcoming playoff games in Canton ??

The league should already be giving away freebie tickets to every citizen in that town... with the hope that just enough actually show up and make the stands appear respectable on TV.
OH is a big FB state, and its a smaller stadium at 20k.

Birm is not a big city, and its not close to any big cities. I hope that get at least 8-10k per game.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

CFLfan_inPhilly wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 4:01 pm What the heck will stadium attendance look like for these upcoming playoff games in Canton ??

I would not be surprised at all if the NFL still owns the trademarks for the Canton Bulldogs. Not sure if they still do, but if they do, then it's not happening.

If I am the USFL, if the league expands, they need to go to markets that weren't in the previous incarnation of the USFL. I think if that happened at the start, their would not have been a lawsuit from the Real USFL.
XFLUSFLGUY
Running Back

Post by XFLUSFLGUY »

I would not be surprised at all if the NFL still owns the trademarks for the Canton Bulldogs. Not sure if they still do, but if they do, then it's not happening.

If I am the USFL, if the league expands, they need to go to markets that weren't in the previous incarnation of the USFL. I think if that happened at the start, their would not have been a lawsuit from the Real USFL.
According to Wikipedia..

“An unrelated "Canton Bulldogs" team played in the United Football League in 1964. This team's name was coincidental, as it had moved from Cleveland and kept its original nickname. That team moved to Philadelphia, where it became the "Philadelphia Bulldogs."[2][unreliable source?] All in all, this version of the Cleveland-Canton-Philadelphia Bulldogs played from 1961 to 1966, its last two years in Philadelphia as a member of the Continental Football League.[3] Another "Canton Bulldogs" team was slated to begin play in the Stars Football League in 2012, although that team was never organized.”

Maybe the USFL could have a Canton Bulldogs team If they really wanted too since it looks like the name has been used in other football iterations.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

XFLUSFLGUY wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:07 pm

According to Wikipedia..

“An unrelated "Canton Bulldogs" team played in the United Football League in 1964. This team's name was coincidental, as it had moved from Cleveland and kept its original nickname. That team moved to Philadelphia, where it became the "Philadelphia Bulldogs."[2][unreliable source?] All in all, this version of the Cleveland-Canton-Philadelphia Bulldogs played from 1961 to 1966, its last two years in Philadelphia as a member of the Continental Football League.[3] Another "Canton Bulldogs" team was slated to begin play in the Stars Football League in 2012, although that team was never organized.”

Maybe the USFL could have a Canton Bulldogs team If they really wanted too since it looks like the name has been used in other football iterations.
I can't see the USFL using the name Canton Bulldogs though. If they bring in a team in Canton, it will be an original name, not Bulldogs. I don't think the USFL needs to revive the name of one of the original NFL teams after reviving the names of 8 original XFL teams.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

Championship will be decently packed but idk about the playoff games. Good thing is stadium size will help
CFLfan_inPhilly
Running Back

Post by CFLfan_inPhilly »

I was being facetious about the Canton Bulldogs idea.
Because the regular season games have been completely empty unless the home team is playing.

The bottom line question is still : Will anybody actually attend these playoff games??
And for those who think that people will be in the stands... Why do you think so?
There has been no indication that the public will watch teams that aren't their home team.

This league may want to consider requiring ALL players from the NON-playoff teams to attend these games-- just to fill some seats.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

There's a novelty factor for Canton that doesn't exist for Birmingham. Birmingham football fans have a Stallions game every week to go to, so there's a lot less reason to go see Breakers-Generals or whatever. Hopefully in Canton, a lot of the casual fans will be more interested in the games even though a team isn't wearing a Canton uniform.

My expectations are still modest, but I don't think the stands will be completely empty like they are for most of the USFL games.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

It is the pro football hall of fame, and it's a nice idea to have the championship there. It's a small stadium so if they can get 10 to 15k it'll look good.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

In Birmingham, you have one home team and seven opponents, meaning only two will get any sort of crowd at one time

In Canton you not only have four neutral teams in a playoff, you're literally surrounded by pro football--that and the game that takes a place a month after the USFLCG (plus with the Stars a virtual lock for the playoffs you can conjure up memories/images of Sam Mills even if the team is in name only)