Week 6 TV ratings & predictions

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
4th&long
MVP

Week 6 TV ratings & predictions

Post by 4th&long »

Sunday NJ v Houston 4pm FOX
Got thumped by NJ last week with 45min rain delay. Sunday Birm Not looking better weather wise. NY weather could be hot, wet and sticky.
Tough local competition NY Rangers in Rd 2 on ESPN and Yankees at 3:05. Houston looks open
At least no NBA though.
Prediction 750K (based on last week and above)

Saturday TB v Philly 1:30pm NBC
Philly will be HOT and sticky. But Phillies not on till 6pm, no Sixers Or NBA or NHL at all. TB Rays on a night.
Hot but hopefully no thunderstorms in Birm. Its inside TV vs sunny hot outside in Philly, who knows.
Prediction 950K - 1mm (based on Philly last week and above)

Saturday Mich v Birm 7:30pm NBC local 6:30
Hot but dry in Birm? Lets hope so, rain delays a killer.
Western NHL game on TNT not eh, But Miami Celts on NBA at 8:30 on ABC... Hmm tough. Plus Detroit MLB at 6pm
Preakness as lead in - Can NBC pull it off?
Prediction 1mm - 1.1mm

Sunday Pitt v NOLA noon FS1
Got thumped by NJ last week with rain delay. Sunday Birm Not looking better weather wise.
MLB Pirates on at 11:30am
Prediction 250K (based on last week and above)

For the NBA and NHL this may be playoff peak w/e. Hopefully they get to Finals ASAP; NHL Rangers in NY not helping but down 2-0. Hopefully not too optimistic and maybe we get a positive surprise or two.

An FYI After week 6 the TV leans more cable than weeks 1-6 based on preseason reporting and games played so far.

What's your take?
MGB01
MVP

Re: Week 6 TV ratings & predictions

Post by MGB01 »

Not off to a great start. NBC games will be both below 1 mil, if they're not giving FOX anything that will seriously make a dent if they wanna bounce in the offseason (like they did the Arena League) let them. Their coverage has been spotty, USA just isn't there, and WWE Network might have given Peacock a nice bump but as far as live games no--Notre Dame fans are still lighting NBC on fire from streaming a game on PC last year.

I'd seriously consider going to a regional/national setup next year with both game days on FOX (contingent on going to market), which I still I don't believe is for an eight-team league but this would be the year to change that. That way you don't have to have an undesirable matchup stand alone. Plus you can build the markets up that way, take a page from the NFL.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 2:51 am Not off to a great start. NBC games will be both below 1 mil, if they're not giving FOX anything that will seriously make a dent if they wanna bounce in the offseason (like they did the Arena League) let them. Their coverage has been spotty, USA just isn't there, and WWE Network might have given Peacock a nice bump but as far as live games no--Notre Dame fans are still lighting NBC on fire from streaming a game on PC last year.

I'd seriously consider going to a regional/national setup next year with both game days on FOX (contingent on going to market), which I still I don't believe is for an eight-team league but this would be the year to change that. That way you don't have to have an undesirable matchup stand alone. Plus you can build the markets up that way, take a page from the NFL.
Why do you think both will be below 1mm? Granted the late game rain delay was a massive CF and ruined what was likely a clear 1mm+ day.

Bottomline - a 30mm rain delay is BS, they need grow a pair.

Did someone say the Fox MLS game was delayed too.

Here's the thing MG - this is filler programming (sports) in a time both FOX and NBC need it. They want the flexing ability - even though it hurts ratings. There are only 23 (broadcast games) and 3 of those are playoffs and 1 was the dual opener. That leaves only 5 Broadcast games for remaining 4 weeks 7-10. This was their plan, let's see if they stick to it. Assuming they do the televised games will be more cable heavy going forward.
4th&long
MVP

Re: Week 6 TV ratings Final

Post by 4th&long »

4th&long wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 2:27 am Sunday NJ v Houston 4pm FOX
Got thumped by NJ last week with 45min rain delay. Sunday Birm Not looking better weather wise. NY weather could be hot, wet and sticky.
Tough local competition NY Rangers in Rd 2 on ESPN and Yankees at 3:05. Houston looks open
At least no NBA though.
Prediction 750K (based on last week and above)

Saturday TB v Philly 1:30pm NBC
Philly will be HOT and sticky. But Phillies not on till 6pm, no Sixers Or NBA or NHL at all. TB Rays on a night.
Hot but hopefully no thunderstorms in Birm. Its inside TV vs sunny hot outside in Philly, who knows.
Prediction 950K - 1mm (based on Philly last week and above)

Saturday Mich v Birm 7:30pm NBC local 6:30
Hot but dry in Birm? Lets hope so, rain delays a killer.
Western NHL game on TNT not eh, But Miami Celts on NBA at 8:30 on ABC... Hmm tough. Plus Detroit MLB at 6pm
Preakness as lead in - Can NBC pull it off?
Prediction 1mm - 1.1mm

Sunday Pitt v NOLA noon FS1
Got thumped by NJ last week with rain delay. Sunday Birm Not looking better weather wise.
MLB Pirates on at 11:30am
Prediction 250K (based on last week and above)

For the NBA and NHL this may be playoff peak w/e. Hopefully they get to Finals ASAP; NHL Rangers in NY not helping but down 2-0. Hopefully not too optimistic and maybe we get a positive surprise or two.

An FYI After week 6 the TV leans more cable than weeks 1-6 based on preseason reporting and games played so far.

What's your take?
Actuals received:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/sked ... -2022.html

Saturday 5/21(NBC): Bandits-Stars averaged 785,000 viewers (prediction 950k - actual under by 165k)

Saturday 5/21(NBC): Stallions-Panthers averaged 1.196 million viewers (prediction 1-1.1mm - actual over by 146k)

Sunday 5/22(FS1): Maulers-Breakers averaged 281,000 viewers. (prediction 250k - actual over by 31k)

Sunday, 5/22(FOX): Generals-Gamblers averaged 665,000 viewers (prediction 750k - actual under by 65k)

Overall - over 4 games actual was under by 53k, Not a bad prediction!!! :shock: :mrgreen:

Warm / Hot spring weather is tough competition esp in NE, as was NHL NY Rangers in NY area market, but even that was down from last game.
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

The Fox Sunday rating is the biggest disappointment. Great game in a traditional NFL Sunday time slot. I believe 750k viewers on network is the Mendoza Line and that game was quite a bit below. FS1 number a bit better than I expected and primetime game about 5-10% off what I thought as well.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:53 am The Fox Sunday rating is the biggest disappointment. Great game in a traditional NFL Sunday time slot. I believe 750k viewers on network is the Mendoza Line and that game was quite a bit below. FS1 number a bit better than I expected and primetime game about 5-10% off what I thought as well.
That Mendoza line line... times be changing. NJ was going up against the NY Rangers and summer weather. Day games in May/June are going to be troublesome and I'm sure Fox knows that. Night games should do better esp when NHL/NBA are kaput.
Put this game on in Feb and get 2.5mm. Summer (weather 91-95 degrees) in spring, is going to be problematic.
4th&long
MVP

Re: Week 6 Birm crowd before the delay

Post by 4th&long »

pretty nice