Konnor Fulk breaks down why Eric Barrierer(panthers new qb) is the biggest signing the USFL has had

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
herns
Head Coach

Konnor Fulk breaks down why Eric Barrierer(panthers new qb) is the biggest signing the USFL has had

Post by herns »

“ Guys, this Eric Barriere (@EB3__ ) signing may be the biggest acquisition in history of the @USFL (draft and free agency)…let me explain why: 🧵

The 2021 Walter Payton Award winner (given to best offensive player in the entirety of the FCS) has found a home with the Panthers.

In his @EWUFootball career, Barriere threw for 110 TD’s / just 28 interceptions / 21 TD’s on the ground. Many thought Eric would potentially be drafted in the April NFL draft, the only NFL opportunity that came to fruition (so far) was recent Rookie Camp tryout with the Broncos.

Eric is looking to the #USFL to get immediate game tape and exposure to scouts, with hope that he can be signed by an NFL team prior to camp. His career resume is certainly deserving, regardless of the pass happy prolific offense he came from at the FCS level.

In my opinion, Eric is automatically the best QB on the @USFLPanthers roster. He joins Guy Myers (D2 University or Charleston - New Jersey Generals) as the youngest and only 2022 draft eligible QB’s in the league. 1-2 weeks practice and you may see EB playing a significant role.

Again, this is exactly the type of mid season acquisition all USFL teams should target in this current league schedule. Scoop up all the available overlooked, talented, 2022 NFL draft eligible players. NFL scouts can’t catch them all. Guys are fresh, healthy, young, and motivated”

https://twitter.com/konnorfulk/status/1 ... uNh16C5M5Q

I would say the USFL going with largely rookies and second year players in the recent free agent additions may have also been a play to try and get some potential stars for next year while also possibly preventing the xfl from signing them. It’s the exact thing Eric Galko was saying on the Markcast they needed to do to make sure they stay ahead of the xfl in terms of talent
Tank55
MVP

Re: Konnor Fulk breaks down why Eric Barrierer(panthers new qb) is the biggest signing the USFL has had

Post by Tank55 »

That's very interesting. How soon could he be up to speed and ready to play?
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
herns
Head Coach

Re: Konnor Fulk breaks down why Eric Barrierer(panthers new qb) is the biggest signing the USFL has had

Post by herns »

Tank55 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:25 pm That's very interesting. How soon could he be up to speed and ready to play?
I would’ve said a few weeks but Vad Lee did it in 5 days so who knows. Both Patterson and Lynch are hurt so he may be needed sooner rather than later
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

This is HUGE, I'm not sure what kind of viewership the USFL is getting up here in the Northwest (where even in market Houston is the westernmost team) but you just added a bunch of them. Maybe the USFL signing Dallas Hobbs, who was vocal in the push towards NIL (and was at WWE tryouts during Wrestlemania week) would add a few more, I mean hell if you had Chase DeMoor..................

My first post on this board was about his predecessor, Gage Gubrud. So while G2's long done with football and in the private sector, way to go to EB. And what a kick in the ass this is for the CFL, who's been somewhat of a next stop for EWU QBs (Matt Nichols, Bo Levi Mitchell, Vernon Adams).

How fast can he get up to speed? He did it for G2 in 2017 when he was suspended, granted a little different being in the program for an entire season and going from there as opposed to coming in off the street. But we're talking a guy that's played in a FCS title game and another playoff, so it's not the usual street free agent that the USFL would have.

Great signing.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Smart move by the USFL to do this instead of signing Mike Glennon, Josh Rosen, Jake Fromm, AJ McCarron and Blake Bortles, who are the remaining NFL Free agent QB's left who have even a remote chance of going to the USFL. Nick Foles is in talks with the Colts, Ryan Fitzpatrick is probably going to retire and Cam Newton has not been ruled out of a return to Carolina. I would go for names like Levi Lewis, whom the Seahawks just released today as well as Aqeel Glass, Kaleb Eleby, Nick Starkel and Terry Wilson, all of whom were in NFL rookie minicamps.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:58 pm This is HUGE, I'm not sure what kind of viewership the USFL is getting up here in the Northwest (where even in market Houston is the westernmost team) but you just added a bunch of them. Maybe the USFL signing Dallas Hobbs, who was vocal in the push towards NIL (and was at WWE tryouts during Wrestlemania week) would add a few more, I mean hell if you had Chase DeMoor..................

My first post on this board was about his predecessor, Gage Gubrud. So while G2's long done with football and in the private sector, way to go to EB. And what a kick in the ass this is for the CFL, who's been somewhat of a next stop for EWU QBs (Matt Nichols, Bo Levi Mitchell, Vernon Adams).

How fast can he get up to speed? He did it for G2 in 2017 when he was suspended, granted a little different being in the program for an entire season and going from there as opposed to coming in off the street. But we're talking a guy that's played in a FCS title game and another playoff, so it's not the usual street free agent that the USFL would have.

Great signing.
Does anyone know how the USFL rules work for players going to an NFL team and getting cut, are they no longer under USFL contract? Specifically for 2023. That's not clear.

Herns- Patterson is hurt? What happened to him? He had his best game last Friday.

GDawg, The USFL money is likely unable to attract NFL guys even Like Mike Glennon or McCarron.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 12:32 am
MGB01 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:58 pm This is HUGE, I'm not sure what kind of viewership the USFL is getting up here in the Northwest (where even in market Houston is the westernmost team) but you just added a bunch of them. Maybe the USFL signing Dallas Hobbs, who was vocal in the push towards NIL (and was at WWE tryouts during Wrestlemania week) would add a few more, I mean hell if you had Chase DeMoor..................

Great signing.
Does anyone know how the USFL rules work for players going to an NFL team and getting cut, are they no longer under USFL contract? Specifically for 2023. That's not clear.

Herns- Patterson is hurt? What happened to him? He had his best game last Friday.

GDawg, The USFL money is likely unable to attract NFL guys even Like Mike Glennon or McCarron.
Ya I think he’s listed as questionable right now, we’ll see if he’s good to play or not. I think that getting an nfl contract for camps is the only way they let you out of the second year of your deal, you get an nfl offer it voids then USFL contract
SamTheRam28
Quarterback

Post by SamTheRam28 »

4th&long wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 12:32 am

Great signing.

The way I remember seeing it worded was that the USFL would release players from contracts for NFL offers. If they get cut they are free agents.
St. Louis BattleHawks