USFL announces they’re expanding rosters

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
herns
Head Coach

USFL announces they’re expanding rosters

Post by herns »

https://twitter.com/usfl/status/1526895 ... Vr8bk-u9_Q

Active rosters will add 2 spots while proactive squad adds 3 spots, this was a change needed this off-season and I’m glad they didn’t wait until the off-season to make it
4th&long
MVP

Re: USFL announces they’re expanding rosters

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:10 am https://twitter.com/usfl/status/1526895 ... Vr8bk-u9_Q

Active rosters will add 2 spots while proactive squad adds 3 spots, this was a change needed this off-season and I’m glad they didn’t wait until the off-season to make it
I was projecting 2/2 as of week 7 (at least to myself) so this is perfect. You knew as playoffs approached and the season dragged there was going to be a late adjustment.
It also may tie up more players from XFL. (Spring FB wars are on!)

Good news for sure.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

4th&long wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:34 am
herns wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:10 am https://twitter.com/usfl/status/1526895 ... Vr8bk-u9_Q

I was projecting 2/2 as of week 7 (at least to myself) so this is perfect. You knew as playoffs approached and the season dragged there was going to be a late adjustment.
I think you meant to say, "obviously the USFL is getting this out today as a way to blunt the XFL getting attention with yesterday's news." :D
@gregmparks
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

GregParks wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:38 am

I think you meant to say, "obviously the USFL is getting this out today as a way to blunt the XFL getting attention with yesterday's news." :D
I see you also saw Florios article hahaha, it’s headline was basically that and USFL takes 50 more players from the xfl player pool
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

That's part of it I'm sure - like I said the SpringFB wars are on. They also want to lock out players from XFL contracts.

In the end we will likely see a merger or collaboration of some sort, unless ESPN/Disney wants it all like CFB which Fox/NBC don't want to see. So maybe Spring FB wars are also Spring Sportscasting Wars too?
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:55 am

That's part of it I'm sure - like I said the SpringFB wars are on. They also want to lock out players from XFL contracts.

In the end we will likely see a merger or collaboration of some sort, unless ESPN/Disney wants it all like CFB which Fox/NBC don't want to see. So maybe Spring FB wars are also Spring Sportscasting Wars too?
Definitely could be the wars between broadcast companies depending on the details of the xfl deal and how bought in Disney is. If it’s a war between companies and they’re both all in/willing to lose money that may not be a bad thing
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:52 am

I see you also saw Florios article hahaha, it’s headline was basically that and USFL takes 50 more players from the xfl player pool

No I did not see Florio's article but great minds think alike - wait?! What!?! :lol:

Its common sense - We all knew Disney was in on XFL (and they want Rock too). The fact the NBC, which everyone saw as natural for Rock to land XFL at not happening is interesting too.

Comcast/NBC/Universal and Disney are the closest in similarity with Broadcast/Cable/Streaming/Large Movie Studios and Theme Parks and Market Cap. While NBC is scaling back dedicated Sports nets - It still needs sports for its Cable nets.

Bottomline - media has destroyed its ability to produce quality TV programming and its been sinking for last 12-15 years. Streaming is not the answer - its same s##t different pkg. But Sports is the golden goose for programming. They all need it.
super390
Receiver

Post by super390 »

Media hasn't destroyed its ability to produce quality programming. The very concept of "quality" has been destroyed by the fragmentation of audiences to the point where there's no longer a public to dictate what quality means. The only thing that brings people briefly together are nostalgia-fests that connect us to our shared past conformity. That's true of everything from Stranger Things to the USFL, engaging in '80s fan-service. (Or Harry Potter's neo-Victorian look and riff on the English public school novel genre, Lord of the Rings' giant nexus of nostalgist pop culture, and Marvel superheroes.)

The actual outcome of a live game, at least, is not predetermined by nostalgia and tropes. So here we are at the only spontaneous thing left in life.
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

I don’t know how much the XFL announcement had to do with this but I think the rosters needed to be increased anyway. Simply because of the heat coming to Birmingham for the second half of the schedule. Temps will reach into the 90’s through Saturday, before cooling off come Sunday. I saw many players sucking air and cramping up last week. Obviously they can’t substitute as much with limited rosters, so this could be a problem with guys getting very fatigued by the 4th quarter of games later in May and June.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Gopher123 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:24 pm I don’t know how much the XFL announcement had to do with this but I think the rosters needed to be increased anyway. Simply because of the heat coming to Birmingham for the second half of the schedule. Temps will reach into the 90’s through Saturday, before cooling off come Sunday. I saw many players sucking air and cramping up last week. Obviously they can’t substitute as much with limited rosters, so this could be a problem with guys getting very fatigued by the 4th quarter of games later in May and June.
I agree Gopher. I was thinking it was coming - phased in weeks 7-8. This was welcome news though.