USFL Rules changes

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
4th&long
MVP

USFL Rules changes

Post by 4th&long »

https://twitter.com/USFL/status/1525083687204708352

>> RULE UPDATE:

A statement from Head of Officiating @MikePereira
on a rule change related to extra point options for Head Coaches <<

Click link and full change, its minor change but can have big impact and IMO its a good change.
herns
Head Coach

Re: USFL Rules changes

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:13 am https://twitter.com/USFL/status/1525083687204708352

>> RULE UPDATE:

A statement from Head of Officiating @MikePereira
on a rule change related to extra point options for Head Coaches <<

Click link and full change, its minor change but can have big impact and IMO its a good change.
This was a necessary change, so far I like both changes they’ve made
LtCmdrData
Linebacker

Post by LtCmdrData »

It's a good change. When I first read the rule differences before the season started, it surprised me that they wouldn't allow a change of option upon the calling of a time-out, or the commission of a defensive foul. Good for Pereira to make the change...

Btw, do rule changes have to be approved by the league, or cam Mike Pereira make them unilaterally-?
To the XFL & USFL. May those leagues run forever... :D
Here comes Secretariat to the wire! An unbelievable, an amazing performance! He hits the finish... 25 lengths in front! (it was actually 31)-
LtCmdrData
Linebacker

Post by LtCmdrData »

Another rule change, one that has me wondering, is the decision to run the clock after the ball is re-spotted on an incomplete pass. Does anyone have specifics on that rule? It looks like they're sometimes enforcing it, and other times not. Expert help would be appreciated.

They put the change in, I heard, so that games wouldn't take as long. Hmm. Hope it's not a bad omen...
Here comes Secretariat to the wire! An unbelievable, an amazing performance! He hits the finish... 25 lengths in front! (it was actually 31)-
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

LtCmdrData wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 8:57 pm It's a good change. When I first read the rule differences before the season started, it surprised me that they wouldn't allow a change of option upon the calling of a time-out, or the commission of a defensive foul. Good for Pereira to make the change...

Btw, do rule changes have to be approved by the league, or cam Mike Pereira make them unilaterally-?
I think it’s proposed by coaches and go to Pereira but I’m not certain about that
LtCmdrData
Linebacker

Post by LtCmdrData »

herns wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:18 pm
LtCmdrData wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 8:57 pm It's a good change. When I first read the rule differences before the season started, it surprised me that they wouldn't allow a change of option upon the calling of a time-out, or the commission of a defensive foul. Good for Pereira to make the change...

I think it’s proposed by coaches and go to Pereira but I’m not certain about that
I know Jeff Fisher made the request. However, I didn't hear about any vote or consideration, and it went through quickly. Given that FOX Sports owns the league, you would think someone from their office would need to okay such a change (though they probably just rubber-stamped it).

Also, what do you all think about rule changes mid-season in general? The "major" sports leagues seldom do such a thing except perhaps to clarify a rule. Their changes occur during the off-season...

I've umped a lot of baseball... nobody would think of changing the rules at the All-Star Break...
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

LtCmdrData wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 8:59 pm Another rule change, one that has me wondering, is the decision to run the clock after the ball is re-spotted on an incomplete pass. Does anyone have specifics on that rule? It looks like they're sometimes enforcing it, and other times not. Expert help would be appreciated.

They put the change in, I heard, so that games wouldn't take as long. Hmm. Hope it's not a bad omen...
In the first and third quarters. You may have seen it in the second quarter where the clock didn't run, thus looked like selective enforcement. Believe me as a non-fan I already had it out with the props to the death over it I'd just be getting started again if that were the case.

You could look at the fact they probably had an eye towards the SNL season finale (cause the last time this happened............) and the Preakness wraparound DH on NBC before it. I say tough, that's why you have 3 1/2 hour windows.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

LtCmdrData wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:24 pm
herns wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:18 pm

I know Jeff Fisher made the request. However, I didn't hear about any vote or consideration, and it went through quickly. Given that FOX Sports owns the league, you would think someone from their office would need to okay such a change (though they probably just rubber-stamped it).

Also, what do you all think about rule changes mid-season in general? The "major" sports leagues seldom do such a thing except perhaps to clarify a rule. Their changes occur during the off-season...

I've umped a lot of baseball... nobody would think of changing the rules at the All-Star Break...
So far I don’t mind them, it’s a new league and new rule book so I’d rather have it changed on the fly than go with a bad rule. The only time I’ve had an issue with changing in the fly was fcf and that was because they changed in between games
SamTheRam28
Quarterback

Post by SamTheRam28 »

Pereira said during the lightning delay yesterday that he and his "group" (or something to that effect) discussed the Fisher rule and decided it would be best to implement it. So it isn't just him, but a probably small group of him and a couple other league execs.
St. Louis BattleHawks