USFL Ball hard to kick

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
Tank55
MVP

Re: USFL Ball hard to kick

Post by Tank55 »

I like the accurate measurements -- I think it's less of adding a thrill and more of eliminating a source of frustration -- but definitely not worth the price of a ball that's hard to throw.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Tank55 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:15 pm I like the accurate measurements -- I think it's less of adding a thrill and more of eliminating a source of frustration -- but definitely not worth the price of a ball that's hard to throw.
In theory, yes. But you're still at the whim of the official to begin with regarding where the ball is spotted. That chip can't tell when a knee hits the ground.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

On a related topic: AAF used a chip ball, too, but they didn't have these issues. XFL2, we all know, tested out their balls extensively before Game 1. How did Fox let this slip through so badly, especially after Butterfinger Balls the XFL1 used?
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

MarkNelson wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:12 pm Seriously, not trotting out the chains for a measurement means they are missing out on a point of drama. Seeing a digital graphic of the ball placement with a measurement of inches to go is not even close to being a thrill.
I liked the graphic/knowing how many inches away the ball is but it isn’t close to worth sacrificing play quality for
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:54 pm On a related topic: AAF used a chip ball, too, but they didn't have these issues. XFL2, we all know, tested out their balls extensively before Game 1. How did Fox let this slip through so badly, especially after Butterfinger Balls the XFL1 used?
Some things were bound to fall through the cracks with their shorter runway. Perhaps not thoroughly testing the game balls was one of those things. I would have thought this would have shown up in the 2-3 week practice leading up to the season. Maybe it did but it was too late or didn’t want to make a change, idk. I agree, changing balls for the kickers would be an easy fix but I’m more concerned with if it’s really effecting the throw and catch. If so, this could turn ugly quick, if play and game quality suffer because of it.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Gopher123 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:21 pm
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:54 pm On a related topic: AAF used a chip ball, too, but they didn't have these issues. XFL2, we all know, tested out their balls extensively before Game 1. How did Fox let this slip through so badly, especially after Butterfinger Balls the XFL1 used?
Some things were bound to fall through the cracks with their shorter runway. Perhaps not thoroughly testing the game balls was one of those things. I would have thought this would have shown up in the 2-3 week practice leading up to the season. Maybe it did but it was too late or didn’t want to make a change, idk. I agree, changing balls for the kickers would be an easy fix but I’m more concerned with if it’s really effecting the throw and catch. If so, this could turn ugly quick, if play and game quality suffer because of it.
So far so good! We'll see if it does or doesn't - no sweat!
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

I can't understand how they would ever allow an "unbalanced" ball to be used in any circumstance? Even with the chip in one end they still could have balanced the ball, assuming they couldn't put it in the center. If it's not working for the QBs, get rid of it and try something else...like chains!
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Gopher123 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:21 pmI would have thought this would have shown up in the 2-3 week practice leading up to the season.
That's why I asked if they've been practicing with chipped balls this whole time. Sounds like everyone was caught off guard, so I'm thinking they were new for game day.
Firecop wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:13 pm I can't understand how they would ever allow an "unbalanced" ball to be used in any circumstance? Even with the chip in one end they still could have balanced the ball, assuming they couldn't put it in the center. If it's not working for the QBs, get rid of it and try something else...like chains!
The chip has to be in both ends -- otherwise, it's not like the runners know which end to stick forward to get a first down. So I'm imagining the weight within the chip isn't evenly distributed, which is throwing everything off.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

Tank55 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:17 pm
Gopher123 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:21 pmI would have thought this would have shown up in the 2-3 week practice leading up to the season.
That's why I asked if they've been practicing with chipped balls this whole time. Sounds like everyone was caught off guard, so I'm thinking they were new for game day.
Firecop wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:13 pm I can't understand how they would ever allow an "unbalanced" ball to be used in any circumstance? Even with the chip in one end they still could have balanced the ball, assuming they couldn't put it in the center. If it's not working for the QBs, get rid of it and try something else...like chains!
The chip has to be in both ends -- otherwise, it's not like the runners know which end to stick forward to get a first down. So I'm imagining the weight within the chip isn't evenly distributed, which is throwing everything off.
Tank, I saw you ask that question earlier in the thread but never saw an answer. Introducing it on game day would certainly explain the surprise. Definitely agree Firecop, how do you introduce an unbalanced ball on game day?!!
super390
Receiver

Post by super390 »

herns wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:21 pm
4th&long wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:13 pm
herns wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:53 am

Ya I saw reports the ball is lopsided and 5 oz heavier which qbs were saying makes it near impossible to throw correctly
The issue with QBs is that its used by refs for ball placement. Kicking not an issue
Ya but the chains are still on the sideline, it’d be a really easy fix imo
I recall Pat Summerall was promoting some company that used laser rangefinders.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/7885v4/ ... wn-markers