SpringFB vs MLS tv ratings

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Re: SpringFB vs MLS tv ratings

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Tank55 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:03 pm I'm basically calling BS. I'll buy that it's not the windfall it might appear to be, but if the vast majority of MLS owners hated it, they wouldn't have agreed to it. Maybe they hate that they couldn't land a big money contract from a broadcaster. Or maybe this guy has spoken to like three owners. But it seems like a totally respectable deal for a pretty flawed sports media property.
That, I suspect, is the case.

I do wonder if this is the point where MLS's investors start questioning their investment.
4th&long
MVP

Cable vs Streaming

Post by 4th&long »

Can we get some clarify here?

https://ir.nielsen.com/news-events/pres ... fault.aspx

>> Nielsen's monthly total TV and streaming snapshot. Streaming represented a record 34.8% share of total television consumption, while cable and broadcast came in at 34.4% and 21.6%, respectively <<

Question? - So when they say broadcast - do they mean Over-The-Air or broadcast channels - ie ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC and other old school UHF like local channels? OR do they mean Broadcast channels viewed on any medium?
And same for cable.

Because if its the former all they are saying is people are choosing to view mostly Cable-Internet-OTT services that are of 2 types. Both are still using cable lines for the most part but not cable's proprietary service. The two types of OTT services are cable substitutes and (cable) premium like channels.

Hulu/Yahoo fall in the first type while NF, Amazon, Disney+ fall into the second.

So as a consumer, you still need Internet service, an OTT cable like service and then you choose your premium services.
How is any of this saving consumers money sans all the government taxes and fees on cable, which will soon be imposed on OTT?
It is not "ala cart viewing" - for example if I want TNF I still need ALL of Amazon Prime, not just the 3-4 hours shown 17 weeks. It's just meet the New King same as the Old King.

Cable is also way easier to navigate from one channel to the other. And with Streaming becoming more weekly showings vs dump all episodes at once and adding commericials - and cable allowing on demand and streaming especially with premium subscriptions they are becoming more alike. In fact i'm surprised NF/Amazon haven't offered their "channels" on cable yet.

And another thing is - there isn't enough talent to make broadcast and cable good viewing - all this streaming is just adding more channels that lack good talent.
4th&long
MVP

Re: Cable vs Streaming

Post by 4th&long »

4th&long wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:27 pm Can we get some clarify here?

>> Nielsen's monthly total TV and streaming snapshot. Streaming represented a record 34.8% share of total television consumption, while cable and broadcast came in at 34.4% and 21.6%, respectively <<

Question? - So when they say broadcast - do they mean Over-The-Air or broadcast channels - ie ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC and other old school UHF like local channels? OR do they mean Broadcast channels viewed on any medium?
And same for cable.

Because if its the former all they are saying is people are choosing to view mostly Cable-Internet-OTT services that are of 2 types. Both are still using cable lines for the most part but not cable's proprietary service. The two types of OTT services are cable substitutes and (cable) premium like channels.

Hulu/Yahoo fall in the first type while NF, Amazon, Disney+ fall into the second.

So as a consumer, you still need Internet service, an OTT cable like service and then you choose your premium services.
How is any of this saving consumers money sans all the government taxes and fees on cable, which will soon be imposed on OTT?
It is not "ala cart viewing" - for example if I want TNF I still need ALL of Amazon Prime, not just the 3-4 hours shown 17 weeks. It's just meet the New King same as the Old King.

Cable is also way easier to navigate from one channel to the other. And with Streaming becoming more weekly showings vs dump all episodes at once and adding commericials - and cable allowing on demand and streaming especially with premium subscriptions they are becoming more alike. In fact i'm surprised NF/Amazon haven't offered their "channels" on cable yet.

And another thing is - there isn't enough talent to make broadcast and cable good viewing - all this streaming is just adding more channels that lack good talent.
Lets me add...

And while I streamed alot this weekend - most of it was throught my cable service not streaming $$.

so what is the deal?
4th&long
MVP

Football Rules - Labor Day TV that is...

Post by 4th&long »

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/sked ... -2022.html

The CFB games kicked azz with DN - Ohio St topping the List... at 10.5mm!

Football rules... can spring FB grow ?
DavedaHammer
Quarterback

Re: Football Rules - Labor Day TV that is...

Post by DavedaHammer »

4th&long wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:06 pm https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/sked ... -2022.html

The CFB games kicked azz with DN - Ohio St topping the List... at 10.5mm!

Football rules... can spring FB grow ?
Yes it can. If people watch the CFL when it plays in early June and moved it's season into May next year. It's possible. Lots of Football to be consumed by Football fans
MGB01
MVP

Re: SpringFB vs MLS tv ratings

Post by MGB01 »

I think ESPN, given we're now in the bizarro world of FOX/NBC and ESPN/ABC essentially having traded both leagues over time, actually might have helped the USFL in one instance. Back in April when a section of Empower Field caught on fire they actually went on about it like the Broncos were playing the Jets/whoever on Sunday and they would have had to find a new venue. So that probably caused a not-insignificant number of viewers to go looking for an actual game on Sunday, and I believe there was on NBC (ironically from Birmingham, where the Broncos nearly relocated to in the 60s).

Just up to the leagues to give the viewers what they came for.
4th&long
MVP

Re: Cable vs Streaming

Post by 4th&long »

4th&long wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:09 pm
4th&long wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:27 pm Can we get some clarify here?

And same for cable.

Lets me add...

And while I streamed alot this weekend - most of it was throught my cable service not streaming $$.

so what is the deal?
Some CLARITY (not 100%) on what is included in TV vs Streaming viewers...

>> Linear Streaming, including live TV apps offered by MVPDs (multichannel video programming distributors such as Charter/Spectrum and DirecTV apps) and vMVPDs (virtual multichannel video programming distributors such as YouTube TV, Hulu Live), is included in the streaming category and represents 4.2% of total television usage. Broadcast and cable content viewed through linear streaming apps also credits its respective category. <<

So now we know at least a portion of Linear streaming is included in streaming though its source is a traditional linear channel is listed as Streaming.
4th&long
MVP

FB tv ratings - NFL dominates entertainment

Post by 4th&long »

>> Front Office Sports@FOS
NFL games are averaging 17.2 million viewers this season, smashing Hollywood's biggest annual properties.

The NFL isn't just America's top sports league by viewership — its asserting itself as the nation’s premier entertainment brand.

@MMcCarthyREV explains ⤵️
8:03 PM · Oct 6, 2022<<

Granted that's thru 4 weeks, but CFB is kicking butt too. This is why there are and will be spring FB attempts.

On a side note that TNF game SUCKED as did Wilson Ryan and HACKett, 9-9 to OT and a double Russell CHOKE. the game play for both teams in week 5 was brutal.
MGB01
MVP

Re: FB tv ratings - NFL dominates entertainment

Post by MGB01 »

4th&long wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:01 am

NFL games are averaging 17.2 million viewers this season, smashing Hollywood's biggest annual properties.

The NFL isn't just America's top sports league by viewership — its asserting itself as the nation’s premier entertainment brand.

Granted that's thru 4 weeks, but CFB is kicking butt too. This is why there are and will be spring FB attempts.

On a side note that TNF game SUCKED as did Wilson Ryan and HACKett, 9-9 to OT and a double Russell CHOKE. the game play for both teams in week 5 was brutal.
In fairness to the NFL scheduling committee (I guess broadcast planning officially), nobody expected either QB to be absolutely washed much less both. Cue the 'Hakeem vs Patrick.......................in 2002' memes.
4th&long
MVP

Re: FB tv ratings - NFL dominates entertainment

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:12 am
4th&long wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:01 am

In fairness to the NFL scheduling committee (I guess broadcast planning officially), nobody expected either QB to be absolutely washed much less both. Cue the 'Hakeem vs Patrick.......................in 2002' memes.
Yeah, I'm not even saying it was a bad for TNF/Prime Video, its was just bad period. Wilson needs to step UP!