SpringFB vs MLS tv ratings

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
4th&long
MVP

Re: SpringFB vs MLS tv ratings

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:22 pm
4th&long wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:18 pm
herns wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:55 pm Now that Messi is coming to the mls that leagues numbers are gonna be really inflated next year
I have no idea who that is as a loathe soccer. But on a tangent - MLS has teams in all major markets, 2 in some, , great attendance, and ratings still suck.
He’s the greatest soccer player in history, he’ll bump ratings a an insane amount wherever he’s on TV
It will be interesting to see next year, will he or won't he?
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

herns wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:22 pm
4th&long wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:18 pm
herns wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:55 pm Now that Messi is coming to the mls that leagues numbers are gonna be really inflated next year
I have no idea who that is as a loathe soccer. But on a tangent - MLS has teams in all major markets, 2 in some, and ratings still suck.
He’s the greatest soccer player in history, he’ll bump ratings a an insane amount wherever he’s on TV
He'll be a year older than Pele (who also has a bigtime argument for GSP) was when he came to the NASL. MLS is more solid than NASL was, but eventually they're going to have to stop expanding and inflating the pie.
4th&long
MVP

Re: SpringFB and Cable TV channels

Post by 4th&long »

Disney doing same thing that Warner doing with TBS/TNT and NBC with USA. Putting sports on FX. Yet they have multiple dedicated sports channels. NBC in contrast ditched its dedicated sports channel and moved sports to its USA network to retain Carriage fees and viewers.

Disney and FX sports is an different play. Will it work?

>> The cable networks that are ramping up sports programming can use a boost. The average subscriber base for FX, USA, TBS and TNT is expected to decline in 2022, compared with 2021, according to market researcher Kagan. Kagan projects the average subscriber count at USA, TBS and TNT to each fall from around 80 million to between 76 million and 77 million. The average number of subscribers at FX, meanwhile, is expected to drop from 79.7 million to 74.8 million.

Just putting sports on the air won’t solve the problem. The networks need to weave the new live sports rights into their brand. FX is best known as a purveyor of high-quality programming that its parent, Disney, has been trying to parlay into a streaming sub-venue on Hulu that can compete with Netflix and HBO Max. Sports have not necessarily been the first thing that comes to mind when viewers talk about its programming, or that of USA.

Cable entities will have to spend more money to market sports in order for their investment in rights to pay off, Cohen says. Infusing sports into their lineups makes the big cable networks resemble broadcast TV: an outlet that offers a little something for everyone. <<

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/fx-tnt ... 235295209/

Sports is the golden goose right now to save cable .... and streaming.

Apple doing same with MLS.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

>> Tweet
See new Tweets
Conversation
Seth “Collector of Footballs” Lessans Retweeted
Sports TV Ratings @SportsTVRatings
I agree with @Ourand_SBJ
but I can also see owners hating it in a "despite anemic TV ratings, it will be much harder for us to fuel our Ponzi scheme via expansion if we are out of sight and out of mind on Apple" way.
Quote Tweet
Mike Ozanian @MikeOzanian
· 14h
Vast majority of MLS owners I have spoken with hate it and view it as a negative for team values. <<

I'm Shocked I tell you Shocked! Yes Its a ponzi scheme, Yes AppleTV is going to effectively hide MLS. IMO this opens the door for Offseason FB a bit more
SamTheRam28
Quarterback

Post by SamTheRam28 »

4th&long wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:22 am

>> Tweet
See new Tweets
Conversation
I agree with @Ourand_SBJ
but I can also see owners hating it in a "despite anemic TV ratings, it will be much harder for us to fuel our Ponzi scheme via expansion if we are out of sight and out of mind on Apple" way.
Quote Tweet
· 14h
Vast majority of MLS owners I have spoken with hate it and view it as a negative for team values. <<

I'm Shocked I tell you Shocked! Yes Its a ponzi scheme, Yes AppleTV is going to effectively hide MLS. IMO this opens the door for Offseason FB a bit more
MLS ratings are absolutely atrocious. I knew they weren't great but Jesus. Less than 100K on FS1, less than 150K on ESPN. They get like 500K on broadcast.

I get that the amount of games is a big factor but those numbers are awful for an established league. If they can get $250M for a non-exclusive deal then the USFL can get some good money too.
St. Louis BattleHawks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

SamTheRam28 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:40 am

>> Tweet
See new Tweets
Conversation
I agree with @Ourand_SBJ
Quote Tweet
· 14h

MLS ratings are absolutely atrocious. I knew they weren't great but Jesus. Less than 100K on FS1, less than 150K on ESPN. They get like 500K on broadcast.

I get that the amount of games is a big factor but those numbers are awful for an established league. If they can get $250M for a non-exclusive deal then the USFL can get some good money too.
They certainly are on Cable and BTW 2021 was their best yr in a long time.

Well many of us have said that the biggest loser on winter-summer FB could be MLS. I'm sure their presence didn't help MLS TV negotiations. Also NHL on ESPNs/TBS-TNT.

Here's some other take aways... lots of people say a bigger league will increase support... it clearly hasn't for MLS. In fact it could hurt as it may dilute the player pool and stretch the national revenue over too many teams.

There are 28 MLS teams now. They are in most major markets - in some cases 2 teams (NY/LA) and still they can't get TV viewership. They have existed for 25 years. Attendance is the key money generator for MLS. The use of ponzi like new franchise fees has run its course. I think AppleTV was a stretch but they need the$ and we'll see what happens next (ie any linear TV deals). Ironically I do think it was a good move by Apple.
SamTheRam28
Quarterback

Post by SamTheRam28 »

4th&long wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:57 am
SamTheRam28 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:40 am

>> Tweet
See new Tweets
Conversation
I agree with @Ourand_SBJ
Quote Tweet
· 14h

They certainly are on Cable and BTW 2021 was their best yr in a long time.

Well many of us have said that the biggest loser on winter-summer FB could be MLS. I'm sure their presence didn't help MLS TV negotiations. Also NHL on ESPNs/TBS-TNT.

Here's some other take aways... lots of people say a bigger league will increase support... it clearly hasn't for MLS. In fact it could hurt as it may dilute the player pool and stretch the national revenue over too many teams.

There are 28 MLS teams now. They are in most major markets - in some cases 2 teams (NY/LA) and still they can't get TV viewership. They have existed for 25 years. Attendance is the key money generator for MLS. The use of ponzi like new franchise fees has run its course. I think AppleTV was a stretch but they need the$ and we'll see what happens next (ie any linear TV deals). Ironically I do think it was a good move by Apple.
Agreed with this. I don't think a spring football league should have more than 16 teams. That's enough to build a national presence and cover most major markets without diluting the talent and overextending yourself.
St. Louis BattleHawks
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

One thing missing from MLS numbers, the viewers on ESPN Deportes. While not a huge amount, it adds an extra 50-100k per broadcast
4th&long
MVP

SpringFB vs NHL playoff tv ratings

Post by 4th&long »

>>Sports Media Watch
@paulsen_smw
Full Stanley Cup playoff viewership -8% from 2019, ranking 7th out of the 17 postseasons since the lockout.

No games aired on broadcast prior to the Cup Final for the first time since 1992. Every Cup Final game aired on broadcast for the first time ever.
1:48 PM · Jun 28, 2022<<

NHL playoffs on ESPN, TBS, TNT, ABC = 1.36mm for 2022. It was 1mm in 2021 and 924k in 2020. Not sure how many games it was but its plenty.

That compares to USFL 708k (or 727k*) avg all games or 984k (or 1029k*) broadcast and 311k cable for USFL all games. * indicates counting opener as 1 game. Reg Season included in earlier post.

Also note NHL has a $625 million+ media rights deal.
Last edited by 4th&long on Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

4th&long wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:22 am Mike Ozanian @MikeOzanian
· 14h
I'm basically calling BS. I'll buy that it's not the windfall it might appear to be, but if the vast majority of MLS owners hated it, they wouldn't have agreed to it. Maybe they hate that they couldn't land a big money contract from a broadcaster. Or maybe this guy has spoken to like three owners. But it seems like a totally respectable deal for a pretty flawed sports media property.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion