SpringFB vs MLS tv ratings

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
4th&long
MVP

SpringFB vs MLS tv ratings

Post by 4th&long »

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2022/0 ... ld-palmer/

>> Primetime MLS on FOX (Charlotte-LA Galaxy) averaged a 0.26 and 475,000 viewers last Saturday night, up from the previous week (Portland-New England: 0.25, 436K), <<

Recall the TSL on FOX averaged 411k in the spring, during the day not prime time and for a non-promoted one off on TV TSL.

And forget XFL's 1.9mm over 20 games in 2020.

Alt springFB is coming and NHL is not strong (though better than MLS) either. USFL LFG...!

P.S. Brady is BACK
Last edited by 4th&long on Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Re: SpringFB vs MLS tv ratings

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Primetime MLS on FOX (Charlotte-LA Galaxy) averaged a 0.26 and 475,000 viewers last Saturday night, up from the previous week (Portland-New England: 0.25, 436K), <<

Network prime time, and they're PAYING MLS for that kind of decrepitude? That's horrendous viewership that would get any other program cancelled.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:33 am Primetime MLS on FOX (Charlotte-LA Galaxy) averaged a 0.26 and 475,000 viewers last Saturday night, up from the previous week (Portland-New England: 0.25, 436K), <<

Network prime time, and they're PAYING MLS for that kind of decrepitude? That's horrendous viewership that would get any other program cancelled.
Exactly johnny, its why FOX is going all in with USFL. The biggest issue with AltSpringFB is .... will it last. No one wants investing in temp leagues. The USFL is looking to demonstrate that stability.

I really don't know what to expect for TV ratings but I do expect them to beat TSL (no major prediction there) on broadcast.
I made my predictions earlier based on XFL 2.0 and accounted for reduced market size of the cities USFL is in 16% households vs 22% for XFL 2.0 and 9% for AAF; And spring vs winter which I think will be lower. I'll see if I can find that post.

Here it is:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3354&p=21847&hilit= ... ngs#p21847

-> Based on this where do TV ratings fall in 2022/23?

My guess is XFL has more of a winter trapped audience IF they can get good TV deal they may do better with larger TV markets too.
USFL I'll take a 40% hit for spring and then say 25% for smaller cities from that number for TV h/h share size.

First USFL 2022 TV Ratings guesstimate:
XFL 2.3mm viewers on Broadcast x 60% = 1.4% less 25% equals 1.05mm viewers on Broadcast for USFL games as target. And for Cable 550-675k depending on network. <-

I would add a range of 850k downside and 1.250mm upside, again just IMO
Last edited by 4th&long on Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

While MLS ratings are certainly low, they have the youngest demo in all North American professional sports and a good majority of their fans stream games and forego traditional T.V. Charlotte just sold out the entire football stadium last week and could've had 80k had the stadium been bigger. Soccer may not be a great tv option, but the optics of a full stadium and crowd enthusiasm are very impressive for the league.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:54 am While MLS ratings are certainly low, they have the youngest demo in all North American professional sports and a good majority of their fans stream games and forego traditional T.V. Charlotte just sold out the entire football stadium last week and could've had 80k had the stadium been bigger. Soccer may not be a great tv option, but the optics of a full stadium and crowd enthusiasm are very impressive for the league.
But those optics aren't translating into TV ratings - and that's where the rubber hits road. $$

To me soccer is like Baseball, its boring much of the time - even more so. It may appeal like BB though, is it cheap to attend vs other sports? On a nice day, why not go? that time of thing
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

4th&long wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:51 am
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:33 am Primetime MLS on FOX (Charlotte-LA Galaxy) averaged a 0.26 and 475,000 viewers last Saturday night, up from the previous week (Portland-New England: 0.25, 436K), <<

Exactly johnny, its why FOX is going all in with USFL. The biggest issue with AltSpringFB is .... will it last. No one wants investing in temp leagues. The USFL is looking to demonstrate that stability.

I really don't know what to expect for TV ratings but I do expect them to beat TSL (no major prediction there) on broadcast.
I made my predictions earlier based on XFL 2.0 and accounted for reduced market size of the cities USFL is in 16% households vs 22% for XFL 2.0 and 9% for AAF; And spring vs winter which I think will be lower. I'll see if I can find that post.

Here it is:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3354&p=21847&hilit= ... ngs#p21847

-> Based on this where do TV ratings fall in 2022/23?

My guess is XFL has more of a winter trapped audience IF they can get good TV deal they may do better with larger TV markets too.
USFL I'll take a 40% hit for spring and then say 25% for smaller cities from that number for TV h/h share size.

First USFL 2022 TV Ratings guesstimate:
XFL 2.3mm viewers on Broadcast x 60% = 1.4% less 25% equals 1.05mm viewers on Broadcast for USFL games as target. And for Cable 550-675k depending on network. <-

I would add a range of 850k downside and 1.250mm upside, again just IMO
For USFL: I'm sticking with this for now, I'll add downside range of 400k and upside 800k for cable. The above prediction dates to Dec when we got the USFL teams names . As far as XFL - all bets off until we know the team and TV deal.

Others?
4th&long
MVP

Fox EVP on rights fees

Post by 4th&long »

https://twitter.com/mulvihill79/status/ ... 9818288128

>> Tweet
See new Tweets
Conversation
Michael Mulvihill@mulvihill79
The point of comparing the USFL to things like NHL, F1, EPL, MLS isn’t to imply that any of these are struggling. We make the comp precisely *because they’re succeeding*

They’re all getting huge rights increases. The USFL is showing it can play at the same level.

On to Week 2.
12:01 PM · Apr 21, 2022·Twitter for iPhone <<

Exactly Mike, Exactly.
4th&long
MVP

USFL game selection Wk 3 on TV

Post by 4th&long »

Not sure why the 2 biggest TV markets in the USFL aren't play on broadcast TV in WK3

The Stars-Generals game is only on Peacock (I know the plan was 4 games on Peacock only). But why this game? Why not smaller market teams?
MGB01
MVP

Re: USFL game selection Wk 3 on TV

Post by MGB01 »

4th&long wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:25 pm Not sure why the 2 biggest TV markets in the USFL aren't play on broadcast TV in WK3

The Stars-Generals game is only on Peacock (I know the plan was 4 games on Peacock only). But why this game? Why not smaller market teams?
As I said in the game thread, looks like NBC's set to follow the Peacock simulcast in two weeks at 3:00, which is probably going to be Gamblers/Breakers

As for next week, FOX took the Stallions and then likely wanted JT/Haley, leaving the other two to Sunday. I'd kick Maulers/Panthers over to Peacock, but I could understand why NBC would want to push the bigger game.
4th&long
MVP

Re: USFL game selection Wk 3 on TV

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:12 pm
4th&long wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:25 pm Not sure why the 2 biggest TV markets in the USFL aren't play on broadcast TV in WK3

As I said in the game thread, looks like NBC's set to follow the Peacock simulcast in two weeks at 3:00, which is probably going to be Gamblers/Breakers

As for next week, FOX took the Stallions and then likely wanted JT/Haley, leaving the other two to Sunday. I'd kick Maulers/Panthers over to Peacock, but I could understand why NBC would want to push the bigger game.
Yeah I'm not following you sir