SpringFB vs MLS tv ratings

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
4th&long
MVP

Cable vs Streaming and Live content

Post by 4th&long »

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/busin ... 235276586/

>> Across every major studio, economic emergency brakes have been pulled, with hiring freezes, enhanced scrutiny on travel and entertainment expenses, and, yes, layoffs. In the legacy media world, where studios have been betting on streaming to make up for declining cable revenues, it also has provided a gut check. Profits are still years off for many, and the economic headwinds are accelerating cost-cutting measures that may have already been in motion as executives, and Wall Street, get more pragmatic about streaming.

Macroeconomic trends are hurting linear advertising dollars, which companies had used to help support investments in streaming. And while companies with live sports may be able to leverage those events to minimize damage to their advertising businesses (Fox, for example, says that its sports ad business continues to boom), pure-play entertainment companies will feel the most pain, due to the macroeconomic hit, in addition to secular challenges. <<

No surprise to me here, all streaming is is a cable premium channel independent of a cable subscription. Big deal. And that means its discretionary. Its also more cumbersome than cable to navigate (esp flipping "channels"

Now they realize without covid fear and lockdowns that people want only quality programming (not woke boring stuff). By standing alone they need content. Since they are too afraid to make another Seinfeld or In Living Color - all that's left is live sports. Its why Fox wants the USFL to work and why Disney is taking a chance on XFL.

The media companies are used to operating in a stable environment that was a virtual monopoly. For example Disney ruined SW and Kathleen Kennedy still standing. Time to wake up and get real creative people and stop worrying about every whiner. Having said that - live sports is the beneficiary, so I hope USFL and XFL can capitalize.
4th&long
MVP

Media companes hurting themselves - shock

Post by 4th&long »

https://www.axios.com/2023/01/02/tv-str ... amount-nfl

>> The big picture: Today, most media giants are left in limbo, trying desperately to reap what's left of their lucrative linear television businesses while simultaneously investing in their expensive new streaming services. <<

While I don't agree with everything listed in article - its worth the read. Big media, while pushing back on ala cart cable allowed its cousin individual 'streaming' services a door open.
Cable does not have to die at all, but morphing into a hulu/sling/youtubetv alternative will work. Which is all cable is anyway.

How this impacts sports, media, news, movies, streaming & cable will be interesting. Saw this coming and now its fun to watch these arrogant media companies adjust.
4th&long
MVP

Top 100 most-watched shows in 2022

Post by 4th&long »

>> Tweet
See new Tweets
Conversation
XFLNewsHub@XFLNewsHub
Do you still think Spring Football wont work? #XFL2023
Quote Tweet
Kurt Badenhausen@kbadenhausen
·
8h
The NFL represented 82 of the 100 most-watched U.S. TV broadcasts in 2022, up from 75 in 2021. The next biggest category was college football with 5 broadcasts. <<

FB RULES Baby! :mrgreen:
4th&long
MVP

ProBowl Games even do well

Post by 4th&long »

Even the abomination of the Pro Bowl had good ratings... It likely didn't hurt it was early Feb but I flipped it on mid way for maybe a minute and quickly turned that off.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2023/0 ... -football/

>> Sunday’s inaugural NFL “Pro Bowl Games” averaged a 3.4 rating and 6.28 million viewers across ABC, ESPN and DisneyXD, down just 5% in ratings and 6% in viewership from last year’s traditional Pro Bowl (3.6, 6.70M) and up dramatically from the virtual “Pro Bowl Celebration” two years ago (1.2, 1.84M).

The “Pro Bowl Games” averaged fewer viewers than last year’s all-star games in Major League Baseball (7.51M) and the NBA (6.284 to 6.282 million), with the caveat that those two events are more traditional versions of their respective sports. The “reimagined” Pro Bowl was a flag football game interspersed with skills challenges.

Even if down just slightly from last year, viewership was on the low end of the recent Pro Bowl trend. This year’s event tops only the virtual edition two years ago as the least-watched Pro Bowl since 2006 (5.96M). The event averaged 12.2 million viewers as recently as a decade ago and consistently topped the ten million mark from 2010-14.<<
4th&long
MVP

More RSN shake ups

Post by 4th&long »

Beyond the Diamond Sports Group likely bankruptcy (caused by financing a leveraged buyout).

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/D ... -news.aspx

>> Warner Bros. Discovery has told teams that it plans to exit the regional sports network business entirely within the next several weeks.

The company, which operates three AT&T SportsNet-branded channels in Denver, Houston and Pittsburgh and has a minority stake in the Root Sports channel in Seattle, has told teams that they have until March 31 to reach an agreement to take their rights back. If the RSNs can’t reach deals with the teams, the channels eventually plan to move forward with a Chapter 7 liquidation filing.

In a statement provided to SBJ, WBD said, “AT&T SportsNet is not immune to the well-known challenges that the entire RSN industry is facing. We will continue to engage in private conversations with our partners as we seek to identify reasonable and constructive solutions.” <<

WBD

>> OTHER RSN TROUBLES: This move also comes as another big RSN group is preparing to file for bankruptcy. Diamond Sports Group, which holds the rights to 42 MLB, NBA and NHL teams on 19 regional sports networks, is expected to file for bankruptcy protection in the middle of March. Diamond’s RSNs operate under the name of Bally Sports.

Diamond, which is carrying about $8 billion worth of debt, has told the leagues and teams that it plans to continue producing and carrying games even through bankruptcy. <<

The leveraged Buyout of FOX(via Disney) RSN added billions in cost to what is Diamond Sports Group. Now WBD is looking to sell off 3 RSNs - these look healthier - at least 2 of the 3.

What is the longterm impact on Sports Rights Fees? Have we peaked? Or is this just a restructuring as RSN's morph into TV/Streaming Hybrids as the restructure their debt. National sports like CFB and NFL are not really impacted.
4th&long
MVP

RSN's demise and the return of OTA

Post by 4th&long »

Could broadcast reinvent itself with smaller TV networks and provide alternative for regional sports and perhaps national? We saw the CW sign a deal with LIV. ION/Scripps is looking to scavenge the carcass of ATT/SN and Sinclairs Diamond group. This opens some doors for sports programming.

https://tvnewscheck.com/programming/art ... at-sports/

>> Sports would give them a massive infusion of top-quality programming that would spawn lucrative shoulder programming and provide a platform for promoting their news and other shows.

Sports would provide opportunities to cozy up to big advertisers, media buyers and sponsors. It will be easier to close deals after you’ve squired them to courtside seats and or sent them out to the mound to throw the first pitch in recognition of their favorite charity.

And sports would bind stations more tightly with their communities. As Lawlor says, nothing energizes a city and brings its people together more than a winning team. Broadcasters need to be fully part of that excitement and good feeling again. And it would be a gift to those who love sports but cannot afford cable or satellite.<<

AND Scripps is looking to get assets or IP cheap.

https://tvnewscheck.com/business/articl ... in-sports/

>> “As we sit here today witnessing the implosion of the RSN business model, it’s also why Scripps Sports has been getting a very warm reception in that marketplace. Our ubiquitous over-the-air, pay TV and connected TV reach through Ion and the Scripps Networks has immense appeal for leagues looking for both new and consistent franchise viewing events across a national footprint. For us, we see the right live sports as an unparalleled opportunity to drive the value of our linear television streams even higher. Locally, live sports will draw young new audiences to our brands as fervent fans employ digital antennas to watch their favorite local teams for free again,” the CEO said.

While potential league deals would likely focus on the Ion Network’s national footprint, Scripps Sports is also pitching potential deals for teams to partner with local Scripps stations. In answer to one analyst’s question, Symson said that is not necessarily limited to markets where Scripps has duopoly stations, since it also has Ion OTA stations in so many markets. <<
nick1091
Running Back

Re: SpringFB vs MLS tv ratings

Post by nick1091 »

At least here in the ATL area, seems like the local RSN’s either got greedy with carriage fees of the carriers are playing hardball, but Bally Sports SE isn’t available on any of the major streamers except DTV Stream (so no YouTube TV, Hulu Live, etc.). They do have a standalone service but charge an outrageous $20 monthly. If this is representative of their other RSN’s I’m sure they’re losing a lot of as revenue without coverage in the major streamers as cordcutting accelerates.
USXFL
Kicker

Post by USXFL »

With MLS going to Apple TV I think their ratings are going to plummet, and Spring Football leagues will benefit due to being over the air on Fox, ABC, and on cable with ESPN etc. The MLS package price point seems to be very high to me when most just want to watch their team. Time will tell I guess.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

USXFL wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:18 am With MLS going to Apple TV I think their ratings are going to plummet, and Spring Football leagues will benefit due to being over the air on Fox, ABC, and on cable with ESPN etc. The MLS package price point seems to be very high to me when most just want to watch their team. Time will tell I guess.
The pyramid scheme of MLS team values requires constant and ever faster expansion... but of course that needed to end. Then then needed a big Media deal. TV didn't offer it so they went to Apple exclusively. Good Luck with that MLS. The league is an MLmeSs.
Add to that MLB constantly tinkering with the sport and further annoying their base and spring FB chances of survival increase.
Interestingly CFB's Pac-12 is finding itself in a similar situation, but reverse. Losing UCLA/USC not moving quickly with a new TV deal. Its possible they breakup or at least splinter. Apple is looking at them too. Shame - I like the Pac-12 but they have a poor commissioner at a time they need a great one.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Funny, there was a guy that had a chance to be P12 commish, but MUH PRINCIPLE and stuff. Really doesn't say much when the league that was driven into the ground by Larry Scott (fully propped up by USC/UCLA I might add, hate for that fact to get lost in the media's adulation of the poor oppressed LA institutions who clearly have struggled for years) won't even consider the father, who happens to have experience at what they're looking for, of one of their greatest QBs. As I said at the time, the lawsuit had consequences, the biggest that he effectively removed his name from consideration himself.

Not that he would have been great but I'm not seeing much, as I also predicted at the time, from Kliavkoff other than "Not Larry Scott', which doesn't even register as a bar.