USFL Ascending

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
GDAWG
MVP

Re: USFL Ascending

Post by GDAWG »

herns wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:45 am
GDAWG wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:19 am
4th&long wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:09 pm

The USFL hub in year one? Really? I guess I look at as they clearly intend to move the teams to cities - they named them - and that we see that hub action is doable. Ultimately Football is made for TV and that's how I'll be viewing it so its no biggie to me. Now if they fail to move any teams in year 2, that would be a bit disappointing.

And I agree - looking forward to players on the field and seeing actual game play vs PR and talk shows on FB.
The issue is where the teams would play when they move to their respective cities.

Birmingham- I would think that the Stallions will want Protective Stadium since that is newer. It seats 45,000. Legion Field is too old and too big.
Houston- Plenty of options: TDECU Stadium (where the XFL Roughnecks played), PNC Stadium (MLS Houston Dynamo but also Texas Southern) and Rice Stadium. I don't know if going to NRG Stadium (72,220 capacity) would be a good idea.
Michigan- If it's Detroit, it's probably Ford Field. Any possible attendance issues would be glaring.
New Orleans- could go to Yulman Stadium if Tulane (who owns the Stadium) allows it. That seats 30,000. If they aren't allowed to, there's also Tad Gormley Stadium which seats 26,500, but would likely need major renovations. The Superdome seats 73,000 for football, would be too big but might be the only choice at the end.
New Jersey- Red Bull Arena would be a nice fit for them to play. It's just the right size at 25,000. We saw the XFL at MetLife, and it wasn't good.
Philadelphia- Several options: Franklin Field, Lincoln Financial Field and Subaru Park, although the latter is in the suburbs.
Pittsburgh- The only option is Heinz Field.
Tampa Bay- The only option is Raymond James Stadium.
New Jersey has some college stadiums they could use as well. The rumor I’ve heard with Pittsburgh is they’re interested in highmark which is small but with a great view so TV wise could work. Sadly I think you’re right with Tampa unless they wanted to go the hockey route with Tampa and Pittsburgh of getting small stadiums that will fill, both are water front
Highmark only seats 5,000 and I think the USFL will want at least 15,000 seats as the minimum capacity, so unless Fox is willing to pay for expansion of the stadium, it seems unlikely to happen. Plus it's logistically impossible to expand based on photos of the stadium.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

GDAWG wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:44 pm
GDAWG wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:19 am

The issue is where the teams would play when they move to their respective cities.

Birmingham- I would think that the Stallions will want Protective Stadium since that is newer. It seats 45,000. Legion Field is too old and too big.
Houston- Plenty of options: TDECU Stadium (where the XFL Roughnecks played), PNC Stadium (MLS Houston Dynamo but also Texas Southern) and Rice Stadium. I don't know if going to NRG Stadium (72,220 capacity) would be a good idea.
Michigan- If it's Detroit, it's probably Ford Field. Any possible attendance issues would be glaring.
New Orleans- could go to Yulman Stadium if Tulane (who owns the Stadium) allows it. That seats 30,000. If they aren't allowed to, there's also Tad Gormley Stadium which seats 26,500, but would likely need major renovations. The Superdome seats 73,000 for football, would be too big but might be the only choice at the end.
New Jersey- Red Bull Arena would be a nice fit for them to play. It's just the right size at 25,000. We saw the XFL at MetLife, and it wasn't good.
Philadelphia- Several options: Franklin Field, Lincoln Financial Field and Subaru Park, although the latter is in the suburbs.
Pittsburgh- The only option is Heinz Field.
Tampa Bay- The only option is Raymond James Stadium.
New Jersey has some college stadiums they could use as well. The rumor I’ve heard with Pittsburgh is they’re interested in highmark which is small but with a great view so TV wise could work. Sadly I think you’re right with Tampa unless they wanted to go the hockey route with Tampa and Pittsburgh of getting small stadiums that will fill, both are water front
Highmark only seats 5,000 and I think the USFL will want at least 15,000 seats as the minimum capacity, so unless Fox is willing to pay for expansion of the stadium, it seems unlikely to happen.
The local Pittsburgh people I’ve talked to say it has expansion seating in place to be more around 9000. But given the view I still think at 5000 it wouldn’t be a bad choice
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

herns wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:46 pm

Highmark only seats 5,000 and I think the USFL will want at least 15,000 seats as the minimum capacity, so unless Fox is willing to pay for expansion of the stadium, it seems unlikely to happen.
The local Pittsburgh people I’ve talked to say it has expansion seating in place to be more around 9000. But given the view I still think at 5000 it wouldn’t be a bad choice
Based on photos I have seen, there's no doubt it would have the best views in the USFL. 9,000 is better than 5,000, but it all depends on what the USFL wants as their minimum seating capacity for their stadiums.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:49 pm
herns wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:46 pm

Based on photos I have seen, there's no doubt it would have the best views in the USFL. 9,000 is better than 5,000, but it all depends on what the USFL wants as their minimum seating capacity for their stadiums.
It sounds like it could be a low cost alternative and 9k would work at least in short term, and easier to fill.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/usfl-dar ... ing-season

>> USFL exec Daryl Johnston previews 'unprecedented' fan experience for upcoming season <<

https://www.outkick.com/usfl-reveals-of ... etermined/

>> USFL Reveals Official Mascots, Names To Be Determined <<

FOX pumping the league on all TV/Web assets...
4th&long
MVP

Re: USFL - Mike P on Fox News pimping new rules

Post by 4th&long »

Pumping and pimping continues across FOX assets

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6303698461001#sp=show-clips

>> SFL set for debut with exciting new rules

Apr. 12, 2022 - 4:29 - USFL officiating head Mike Pereira explains innovating ways excitement is being added to the game on 'Fox & Friends.' <<
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

FOX pumping to the end.. good article though

>>Alex McGough has a 50-50 chance of owning a unique slice of history on Saturday, which is why he might be paying a little closer attention to the coin toss than usual.

Either McGough, quarterback for the Birmingham Stallions, or New Jersey Generals QB De’Andre Johnson will gain the distinction this weekend of handling the very first snap as the United States Football League gets underway.

"It is a pretty cool opportunity to be able to say something like that," McGough told me in the telephone conversation this week. "I hope it’s me." <<

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/usfl/ ... new-league
4th&long
MVP

NBC4-NY: News segment on USFL

Post by 4th&long »

First I saw with NBC's boracast team chiming in Jac C & Jason Garrett

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/usfl-ki ... k/3648353/
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

Has anyone seen any updates on total social media followers broken down per team? I know overall the league is above 500,000 but I haven’t seen a team breakdown since Dec/Jan. I’m curious what ones are most/least popular now that the season has arrived. Obviously I can’t judge fan support based off of team attendance. Although I expect Birmingham to really show up tonight (obviously).
nick1091
Running Back

Post by nick1091 »

Gopher123 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:42 am Has anyone seen any updates on total social media followers broken down per team? I know overall the league is above 500,000 but I haven’t seen a team breakdown since Dec/Jan. I’m curious what ones are most/least popular now that the season has arrived. Obviously I can’t judge fan support based off of team attendance. Although I expect Birmingham to really show up tonight (obviously).
Using the social blade.com, Panthers with the most followers at 35K+, Generals the lowest with 18K+. All the other teams in the 20-26K range.

I’m guessing the Panthers higher based on choosing a UM QB, but that’s speculation.