USFL Ascending

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
herns
Head Coach

Re: New XFL logo and promo

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:29 pm Based on the SocMedia reaction I'm thinking this new XFL logo and regurgitated video saying the same VS stuff since 2020, I think this actually helps the USFL
Ya that and Mike Mitchell’s article saying they’re considering a hub has made the xfl only crowd more open, from what I’ve seen
Tank55
MVP

Re: USFL Ascending

Post by Tank55 »

The fact that the USFL is in a hub is the only thing really preventing me from fully embracing it. But definitely looking forward to everyone getting on the field and actually having an actual product to compare rather than just vibes.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:12 pm The fact that the USFL is in a hub is the only thing really preventing me from fully embracing it. But definitely looking forward to everyone getting on the field and actually having an actual product to compare rather than just vibes.
The USFL hub in year one? Really? I guess I look at as they clearly intend to move the teams to cities - they named them - and that we see that hub action is doable. Ultimately Football is made for TV and that's how I'll be viewing it so its no biggie to me. Now if they fail to move any teams in year 2, that would be a bit disappointing.

And I agree - looking forward to players on the field and seeing actual game play vs PR and talk shows on FB.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:09 pm
Tank55 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:12 pm The fact that the USFL is in a hub is the only thing really preventing me from fully embracing it. But definitely looking forward to everyone getting on the field and actually having an actual product to compare rather than just vibes.
The USFL hub in year one? Really? I guess I look at as they clearly intend to move the teams to cities - they named them - and that we see that hub action is doable. Ultimately Football is made for TV and that's how I'll be viewing it so its no biggie to me. Now if they fail to move any teams in year 2, that would be a bit disappointing.

And I agree - looking forward to players on the field and seeing actual game play vs PR and talk shows on FB.
The issue is where the teams would play when they move to their respective cities.

Birmingham- I would think that the Stallions will want Protective Stadium since that is newer. It seats 45,000. Legion Field is too old and too big.
Houston- Plenty of options: TDECU Stadium (where the XFL Roughnecks played), PNC Stadium (MLS Houston Dynamo but also Texas Southern) and Rice Stadium. I don't know if going to NRG Stadium (72,220 capacity) would be a good idea.
Michigan- If it's Detroit, it's probably Ford Field. Any possible attendance issues would be glaring.
New Orleans- could go to Yulman Stadium if Tulane (who owns the Stadium) allows it. That seats 30,000. If they aren't allowed to, there's also Tad Gormley Stadium which seats 26,500, but would likely need major renovations. The Superdome seats 73,000 for football, would be too big but might be the only choice at the end.
New Jersey- Red Bull Arena would be a nice fit for them to play. It's just the right size at 25,000. We saw the XFL at MetLife, and it wasn't good.
Philadelphia- Several options: Franklin Field, Lincoln Financial Field and Subaru Park, although the latter is in the suburbs.
Pittsburgh- The only option is Heinz Field.
Tampa Bay- The only option is Raymond James Stadium.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

4th&long wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:09 pm The USFL hub in year one? Really?
Oh, definitely. I'm thrilled they're playing and I'll definitely be paying attention, but it's not the same. Look how much energy the fans in St. Louis, DC, and Seattle added to the XFL. The novelty of seeing the Renegades in Globe Life. You won't have that in a hub.

And if they are in home markets in 2023, great. I'll be all in. But this is alternative pro football, so nothing should be taken for granted. I could just as easily see them decide to take yet another incremental step and decide to split into two hubs.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

GDAWG wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:19 am

The issue is where the teams would play when they move to their respective cities.

Birmingham- I would think that the Stallions will want Protective Stadium since that is newer. It seats 45,000. Legion Field is too old and too big.
Houston- Plenty of options: TDECU Stadium (where the XFL Roughnecks played), PNC Stadium (MLS Houston Dynamo but also Texas Southern) and Rice Stadium. I don't know if going to NRG Stadium (72,220 capacity) would be a good idea.
Michigan- If it's Detroit, it's probably Ford Field. Any possible attendance issues would be glaring.
New Orleans- could go to Yulman Stadium if Tulane (who owns the Stadium) allows it. That seats 30,000. If they aren't allowed to, there's also Tad Gormley Stadium which seats 26,500, but would likely need major renovations. The Superdome seats 73,000 for football, would be too big but might be the only choice at the end.
New Jersey- Red Bull Arena would be a nice fit for them to play. It's just the right size at 25,000. We saw the XFL at MetLife, and it wasn't good.
Philadelphia- Several options: Franklin Field, Lincoln Financial Field and Subaru Park, although the latter is in the suburbs.
New Jersey has some college stadiums they could use as well. The rumor I’ve heard with Pittsburgh is they’re interested in highmark which is small but with a great view so TV wise could work. Sadly I think you’re right with Tampa unless they wanted to go the hockey route with Tampa and Pittsburgh of getting small stadiums that will fill, both are water front
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

Rutgers stadium is an absolute pain in the A$$ to get to with no mass transit anywhere near. Princeton is more in the Philly Market than NJ/NYC metro area and would eat into the Stars fanbase. Please don't say Montclair or Monmouth's stadium, they're glorified high school fields.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

herns wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:45 am New Jersey has some college stadiums they could use as well.
Like what? Rutgers, although my understanding is that it's hard to get in and out of. Princeton is pretty far outside the NY/NJ metro area, but I guess they could draw from Trenton. Is there anything else? Monmouth's stadium is pathetic.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

laxtreme56 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:07 am Please don't say Montclair or Monmouth's stadium, they're glorified high school fields.
LOL, I nearly described Monmouth as a mediocre Texas HS field.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:19 am

Good list!

Could they use George M. Steinbrenner Field in TB? Likely not so yes its RJS.

To summarize - There are 4 cities with available non-NFL stadiums, 1 (NOLA) is a maybe, and 3 without. That's not bad.