USFL coaches

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
4th&long
MVP

Re: USFL coaches

Post by 4th&long »

Gopher123 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:30 pm
super390 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:42 pm Wow, I'm a Jeff Fisher believer. His teams weren't flashy, but they controlled games and did a lot with what they had. It was frustrating to see the Oilers leave before he could establish himself, and then become a routine division winner when the Texans were stuck in the same division as the Titans.

I'm making the Michigan Panthers my early favorite to be the 1st champions of BOTH USFLs.
I agree, all kidding aside, Jeff Fisher is my favorite hire. He had some damn good Titans teams on both sides of the ball. Never really got the same results with the Rams but who knows why for sure. Players, GM, whatever it just didn’t really work. He is the headliner for name recognition. His time in the NFL is probably done but he has a lot to bring to the USFL, IMO.I was hoping for one more bigger name like a Wade Phillips. I’m still surprised there wasn’t another TSL coach even though apparently Shanks didn’t want to go down that road. I thought Hal Mumme did a hell of a good job with the Lineman and it would have been nice to see them bring him and the Air Raid to the USFL.
Fisher rumors were out there but I wasn't sure he'd be a coach, but he is. I like him, always have. Saving the biggest hire for last and glad they stretched it out a week for the extra SM and media/press coverage.

I was routing for Hal Mumme too. But remember he was an OC in the XFL, and could be again in USFL. Fisher is a Def conservative coach, USFL needs "O" I don't count Hal Mumme out as an OC at all. Could be any team.

Over all the USFL HC group is on par with XFL/AAF and the next steps are staffs and players. Getting more real folks!
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:37 pm
Gopher123 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:30 pm
super390 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:42 pm Wow, I'm a Jeff Fisher believer. His teams weren't flashy, but they controlled games and did a lot with what they had. It was frustrating to see the Oilers leave before he could establish himself, and then become a routine division winner when the Texans were stuck in the same division as the Titans.

I'm making the Michigan Panthers my early favorite to be the 1st champions of BOTH USFLs.
I agree, all kidding aside, Jeff Fisher is my favorite hire. He had some damn good Titans teams on both sides of the ball. Never really got the same results with the Rams but who knows why for sure. Players, GM, whatever it just didn’t really work. He is the headliner for name recognition. His time in the NFL is probably done but he has a lot to bring to the USFL, IMO.I was hoping for one more bigger name like a Wade Phillips. I’m still surprised there wasn’t another TSL coach even though apparently Shanks didn’t want to go down that road. I thought Hal Mumme did a hell of a good job with the Lineman and it would have been nice to see them bring him and the Air Raid to the USFL.
Fisher rumors were out there but I wasn't sure he'd be a coach, but he is. I like him, always have. Saving the biggest hire for last and glad they stretched it out a week for the extra SM and media/press coverage.

I was routing for Hal Mumme too. But remember he was an OC in the XFL, and could be again in USFL. Fisher is a Def conservative coach, USFL needs "O" I don't count Hal Mumme out as an OC at all. Could be any team.

Over all the USFL HC group is on par with XFL/AAF and the next steps are staffs and players. Getting more real folks!
I’ve seen some speculation about norm chow as a candidate for panthers OC since him and fisher have history. Also a big positive is we know fishers had time to prep since Haley said he was there when Haley was signed
super390
Receiver

Post by super390 »

It may not be fair, but it's necessary for a new league's New York area franchise to be better than average. The AFL and ABA both stage-managed the arrival of their leagues' signature superstars to New York. Thus Herschel Walker ended up with the original Generals. Since this new USFL will be too salary-capped to send a high-profile player to New Jersey, something else needed to be tilted in their favor. The head coach was the next option.

Perhaps Fisher didn't want the hassle of dealing with the New York media in 2023, but if at all possible the league should have tried to keep that seat open to get its most famous coach there. The fans there love running and defense, Fisher's hallmarks.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

super390 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:23 pm It may not be fair, but it's necessary for a new league's New York area franchise to be better than average. The AFL and ABA both stage-managed the arrival of their leagues' signature superstars to New York. Thus Herschel Walker ended up with the original Generals. Since this new USFL will be too salary-capped to send a high-profile player to New Jersey, something else needed to be tilted in their favor. The head coach was the next option.

Perhaps Fisher didn't want the hassle of dealing with the New York media in 2023, but if at all possible the league should have tried to keep that seat open to get its most famous coach there. The fans there love running and defense, Fisher's hallmarks.
What I’m really interested to see is they’re claiming each team will have 5-6 high profile players, I wonder what they consider high profile
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

For a league like this, the smaller the market the more the media is going to be a hassle.

No chance they have 5-6 players per team that could reasonably be called high profile. How many did the AAF or XFL have total? Like 3?
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

Tank55 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:49 pm For a league like this, the smaller the market the more the media is going to be a hassle.

No chance they have 5-6 players per team that could reasonably be called high profile. How many did the AAF or XFL have total? Like 3?
I agree but in the player pool they’ve said they’ve got them already. 5-6 per team. I was wondering if theyre counting xfl stars as part of that like Ta’amu because If so then I could easily see it
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:10 am
Tank55 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:49 pm For a league like this, the smaller the market the more the media is going to be a hassle.

I agree but in the player pool they’ve said they’ve got them already. 5-6 per team. I was wondering if theyre counting xfl stars as part of that like Ta’amu because If so then I could easily see it
I think they mean names that may be recognizable not high profile in an NFL sense.
super390
Receiver

Post by super390 »

4th&long wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:18 am
herns wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:10 am

I think they mean names that may be recognizable not high profile in an NFL sense.
Or names that will be recognizable to people in each team's official city. The original USFL did have a regional draft for that purpose.
4th&long
MVP

USFL coaching assistants

Post by 4th&long »

https://xflnewsroom.com/usfl/new-jersey ... ing-staff/

>>

Generals coaching staff update:
-Jay Locey will serve as the TEs and RBs coach
-Jeff McInerney will be the DLs and Special Teams coach

— USFL News (@Newsusfl) February 12, 2022 <<