USFL coaches

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
herns
Head Coach

USFL coaches

Post by herns »

Stallions: skip Holtz
Bandits: Todd Haley
Generals: mike Riley
Stars: Bart Andrus
Gamblers: Kevin Sumlin
Panthers: Jeff fisher
Breakers: Larry Fedora
Maulers: Kirby Wilson

Who do you guys think is the best hire and who’s the worst?
4th&long
MVP

PFT on Jeff Fisher

Post by 4th&long »

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -panthers/

Its getting attention...

>> Jeff Fisher is heading back to the sidelines.

The USFL announced on Thursday that Fisher will be the coach of the Michigan Panthers when the league opens business this spring. They also announced that Larry Fedora will coach the New Orleans Breakers.

Fisher spent 17 seasons as the head coach of the Oilers/Titans before moving on to the Rams. He was fired in 2016 during his fifth season with the Rams and went 173-165-1 during his time in the NFL.

Fedora was the head coach of Southern Miss from 2008-2011 and North Carolina from 2012-2018. He was 34-19 in his first stop and 45-43 in his second.

And, because we’re sure you’re asking, the USFL season will not be 16 games long so Fisher has no risk of getting back on that 7-9 bullshit. <<
MGB01
MVP

Re: USFL coaches

Post by MGB01 »

I don't really see any outright bad hires just some unknowns (re: questions). For instance the league playing in Birmingham this year probably helped them land Riley (former Bama DB), who's never coached east of NO where he was DB coach in 2002--for that reason the Breakers might have been better but that moment's passed now.

Don't see what the problem is with Fisher and Haley. Want bigger name more successful coaches? They're interviewing for NFL jobs this week. The original league wouldn't have held up under this criteria: George Allen went back to the Rams and was fired six months later, Jack Pardee (who replaced him in DC) was gone in three seasons. What do some people want here?

As far as the college coaches, you want Urban Meyer?
4th&long
MVP

CBS article on Fisher

Post by 4th&long »

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jeff ... ar-hiatus/

>> Longtime NFL coach Jeff Fisher is returning to the sidelines after a half-decade away from the game. The United States Football League's Michigan Panthers named Fisher its head coach on Thursday.

Fisher, 63, last coached with the Los Angeles Rams in 2016. He was fired midseason that year after compiling a 4-9 record, ensuring the Rams would not have a winning season during his entire five-year tenure with the team, which moved back to L.A. in 2016 from St. Louis. <<

FYI - USFLPanthers picking up Twitter followers following thisnannouncement
herns
Head Coach

Re: CBS article on Fisher

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:59 pm https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jeff ... ar-hiatus/

>> Longtime NFL coach Jeff Fisher is returning to the sidelines after a half-decade away from the game. The United States Football League's Michigan Panthers named Fisher its head coach on Thursday.

Fisher, 63, last coached with the Los Angeles Rams in 2016. He was fired midseason that year after compiling a 4-9 record, ensuring the Rams would not have a winning season during his entire five-year tenure with the team, which moved back to L.A. in 2016 from St. Louis. <<

USFL had 3 of the top 20 trending topics on twitter
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

I think they're all fine. I think Sumlin is the "best" and Holtz the "worst", but that's not really fair to either of them. Holtz just because Birmingham is the only home team; its too bad they couldn't get a juicier name in that spot.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

Tank55 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:49 pm I think they're all fine. I think Sumlin is the "best" and Holtz the "worst", but that's not really fair to either of them. Holtz just because Birmingham is the only home team; its too bad they couldn't get a juicier name in that spot.
It’s funny because I’m kinda opposite of that. Sumlin brings name value but is the most iffy for me. Holtz I think is a homerun
4th&long
MVP

Re: CBS article on Fisher

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:15 pm
4th&long wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:59 pm https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jeff ... ar-hiatus/

USFL had 3 of the top 20 trending topics on twitter
as of 5pm USFLpanthers picked up 1k followers. Likely why they saved him for last
super390
Receiver

Post by super390 »

Wow, I'm a Jeff Fisher believer. His teams weren't flashy, but they controlled games and did a lot with what they had. It was frustrating to see the Oilers leave before he could establish himself, and then become a routine division winner when the Texans were stuck in the same division as the Titans.

I'm making the Michigan Panthers my early favorite to be the 1st champions of BOTH USFLs.
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

super390 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:42 pm Wow, I'm a Jeff Fisher believer. His teams weren't flashy, but they controlled games and did a lot with what they had. It was frustrating to see the Oilers leave before he could establish himself, and then become a routine division winner when the Texans were stuck in the same division as the Titans.

I'm making the Michigan Panthers my early favorite to be the 1st champions of BOTH USFLs.
I agree, all kidding aside, Jeff Fisher is my favorite hire. He had some damn good Titans teams on both sides of the ball. Never really got the same results with the Rams but who knows why for sure. Players, GM, whatever it just didn’t really work. He is the headliner for name recognition. His time in the NFL is probably done but he has a lot to bring to the USFL, IMO.I was hoping for one more bigger name like a Wade Phillips. I’m still surprised there wasn’t another TSL coach even though apparently Shanks didn’t want to go down that road. I thought Hal Mumme did a hell of a good job with the Lineman and it would have been nice to see them bring him and the Air Raid to the USFL.