Final 4 coaches on The Herd today

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
herns
Head Coach

Re: Final 4 coaches on The Herd today

Post by herns »

Gopher123 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:47 pm So what was the Jeff Fisher deal all about? Was it even USFL related? I wasn’t able to watch.
He ended up not being on the show but I would assume yes. When talking about the USFL Todd Haley said it was great to meet up with old friends and mentioned Fisher. The fact they changed the announcement from 4 to 2 and then he ended up not being on like he was supposed to makes me think it was USFL related
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

herns wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:56 pm
Gopher123 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:47 pm So what was the Jeff Fisher deal all about? Was it even USFL related? I wasn’t able to watch.
He ended up not being on the show but I would assume yes. When talking about the USFL Todd Haley said it was great to meet up with old friends and mentioned Fisher. The fact they changed the announcement from 4 to 2 and then he ended up not being on like he was supposed to makes me think it was USFL related

I see. Thanks for answering me on that herns!
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Holtz is interesting because he coached this past year, and he had Tech in six straight bowls so he wasn't overtly bad or anything. His best success probably came decades ago when UConn was FCS, maybe if there was a Hartford team.............I definitely can get behind the Moss vibes for Wilson.

These hires may not be as 'meh' as first appeared. I'd like June Jones, but at last check he was semi-lobbying to return to Hawaii (maybe that ends up as an 11th hour thing). So as long as they're not just filling the gaps to say 'we have coaches' they're fine.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

I don't want to make too much of it, but it's interesting that they didn't find someone for the Stallions that could help move tickets. Not trying to throw shade at Holtz, because he's a name college fans know and I think he's totally qualified. But it's definitely not a sexy name, and with only one actual home team, you'd think they would try to get some sizzle in that spot if nowhere else.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Tank55 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:56 pm I don't want to make too much of it, but it's interesting that they didn't find someone for the Stallions that could help move tickets. Not trying to throw shade at Holtz, because he's a name college fans know and I think he's totally qualified. But it's definitely not a sexy name, and with only one actual home team, you'd think they would try to get some sizzle in that spot if nowhere else.
It's too bad what happened to Tarvaris Jackson, who was just beginning his coaching career when he was killed. Maybe he makes a pit stop in the USFL with Birmingham and becomes another Joe Lombardi, Dave Ragone, Shane Waldron, or Mike McDaniel (all current NFL offensive coordinators who spent time in the XFL/UFL). Sure, an assistant wouldn't be a needle mover, but then again neither was Jack Pardee (or Matt Dunigan for that matter) for either Birmingham or the CFL US expansion. A serious coaching staff (which would include some potential up and comers) would be a good start though.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Someone should pull a list of all these alt leagues teams attendance in their first year and their coach's Q score and see if there's any correlation.

I hadn't seen that Tavaris Jackson died. That's terrible. Drive safe folks.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Yeah it was in April 2020 just shy of his birthday, he was QB coach at Tennessee State in 2019 (and his alma mater Alabama State before that). Bummer.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Pretty much obvious after this Titanic choke that the USFL should announce Mike Mularkey as Maulers HC as a nice 'hello Tennessee'.

Reminder that Mularkey was fired despite reaching the divisional round in 2017 (which means Vrabel should be fired too by that logic). I never hold bad moves by clueless ownership against anybody.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

And the final coach should be...............................Winston Moss for Michigan

Not that Mike McCarthy was any sort of savior, but obviously Mike Jr. isn't either.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:36 pm Pretty much obvious after this Titanic choke that the USFL should announce Mike Mularkey as Maulers HC as a nice 'hello Tennessee'.

Reminder that Mularkey was fired despite reaching the divisional round in 2017 (which means Vrabel should be fired too by that logic). I never hold bad moves by clueless ownership against anybody.
Malarkey would be a good pickup for the USFL. In NOLA or Michigan - Maulers already have Kirby.

He's like a Haley, mix of position, OC and HC experience in NFL and out of FB for 2 years. Also a player. I like that move and hope USFL can get him in one of the 2 remaining open positions.