Final 4 coaches on The Herd today

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
laxtreme56
Coach

Re: Final 4 coaches on The Herd today

Post by laxtreme56 »

Mehh, definitely not AAF or XFL level coaches so far. The first group of 4 were satisfactory, if underwhelming. Skip Holtz is Lou's son so I guess that means something, these hires aren't going to turn any heads like a Stoops, Spurrier, Martz hiring.
4th&long
MVP

Re: UPDATE: 2 USFL coaches on The Herd today

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:17 pm
4th&long wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:38 pm Just FYI

The Herd will announce 2 of the 4 new coaches today.
Extremely disappointing that they’re changing it to only announce 2
They didn't change it - they never said 4 were being announced that was assumed by people, it was an incorrect assumption that's all.

They are going to milk the announcements for all the buzz they can get - so it makes sense to me to split them up. Its actually what I was expecting. And/or perhaps they are looking at Jim Caldwell or someone that is being pursued elsewhere and they need the dust to settle - maybe Jim Caldwell?
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:22 pm Mehh, definitely not AAF or XFL level coaches so far. The first group of 4 were satisfactory, if underwhelming. Skip Holtz is Lou's son so I guess that means something, these hires aren't going to turn any heads like a Stoops, Spurrier, Martz hiring.
The XFL had one head turner in Stoops - Jim Zorn was a local fav in Seattle too. AAF had 2 in Martz and Spurrier plus maybe Singletary but more as a player. Let's see who the final 2 are but so far sans one big name its inline with AAF and XFL.
4th&long
MVP

Article from Birmingham

Post by 4th&long »

https://www.al.com/sports/2022/01/skip- ... lions.html

>> Veteran college football coach Skip Holtz has been named head coach of the Birmingham Stallions of the re-constituted USFL, the league announced Thursday.

The 57-year-old Holtz spent the last nine seasons at Louisiana Tech, and has also been head coach at Connecticut, East Carolina and South Florida. He is the son of Hall of Fame coach Lou Holtz. <<
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:26 pm

They didn't change it - they never said 4 were being announced that was assumed by people, it was an incorrect assumption that's all.

They are going to milk the announcements for all the buzz they can get - so it makes sense to me to split them up. Its actually what I was expecting. And/or perhaps they are looking at Jim Caldwell or someone that is being pursued elsewhere and they need the dust to settle - maybe Jim Caldwell?
They said on Twitter and in the press release all 4 final spots would be announced today on the herd…. https://twitter.com/usfl/status/1484163 ... 40321?s=21
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

All the release said was it was going to be a special announcement about the final four USFL coaches. So yes, it didn’t actually say all four would be announced today but technically it didn’t say any would be. That’s why I said I’m assuming they would be named but yeah it was a little vague. After all, it wasn’t really about the final four either if only two were announced. But whatever, at least we got a couple more!
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

4th&long wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:29 pm
laxtreme56 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:22 pm Mehh, definitely not AAF or XFL level coaches so far. The first group of 4 were satisfactory, if underwhelming. Skip Holtz is Lou's son so I guess that means something, these hires aren't going to turn any heads like a Stoops, Spurrier, Martz hiring.
The XFL had one head turner in Stoops - Jim Zorn was a local fav in Seattle too. AAF had 2 in Martz and Spurrier plus maybe Singletary but more as a player. Let's see who the final 2 are but so far sans one big name its inline with AAF and XFL.
I would put Gilbride in there as well, 2 Super Bowl championships with the Giants and didn't bounce around/get fired from a bunch of teams before winding up in the XFL. While Pep Hamilton wasn't necessarily a head turner, he was still an up and coming coach with an impressive resume, hence his current NFL status.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:25 pm
4th&long wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:29 pm
I would put Gilbride in there as well, 2 Super Bowl championships with the Giants and didn't bounce around/get fired from a bunch of teams before winding up in the XFL. While Pep Hamilton wasn't necessarily a head turner, he was still an up and coming coach with an impressive resume, hence his current NFL status.
Gilbride was a good hire for the XFL and TSL to be sure, but not a head turner IMO. He's like a better Haley. I was hoping he'd take the NJ Generals spot but that wasn't meant to be apparently. As far as Pep - he was a nobody until the XFL for me - I'd never heard of him. He may have benefited more from XFL than any other coach.

Kirby is like the Jonathon Hayes or WInston Moss from XFL but for the USFL. Both were seasoned position coaches in NFL.

USFL going more CFB than XFL with Holtz and Sumlin vs XFL having more CFL connections (Jones and Trestman and yes they were NFL too but more Canada)... so far...
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

With the possibility that some, if not all of the current vacancies being filled after the divisional playoffs, I think the USFL is waiting to see if one of those hires is Caldwell. He's already interviewed with the Jags and Bears. If Caldwell had a choice: return to the NFL or give the USFL a shot, he would return to the NFL. Same goes for Todd Haley and the newly hired Kirby Wilson.
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

So what was the Jeff Fisher deal all about? Was it even USFL related? I wasn’t able to watch.