PFT: On USFL playing in Birminghan

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
herns
Head Coach

Re: PFT: On USFL playing in Birminghan

Post by herns »

Tank55 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:42 pm The cost savings may be worth it, but I disagree that the bubble season is going to make moving tickets easier. There's a novelty factor that's being lost. Plus half of these teams, by definition, are going to finish in the bottom half of the standings.
It won’t make moving tickets easier at all. The good need is ticket revenue doesn’t factor into their business plan much so long as they can find a way to have an entertaining broadcast when games are lower in attendance
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:48 pm
Tank55 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:42 pm The cost savings may be worth it, but I disagree that the bubble season is going to make moving tickets easier. There's a novelty factor that's being lost. Plus half of these teams, by definition, are going to finish in the bottom half of the standings.
It won’t make moving tickets easier at all. The good need is ticket revenue doesn’t factor into their business plan much so long as they can find a way to have an entertaining broadcast when games are lower in attendance
I have to disagree. Unlike AAF and XFL 2.0 who had to market a team to fans in cities with no idea what to expect, or whether they would get through the season was not easy. The USFL can use yr 1 demonstrate the league, team, an demonstrate longevity and get poeple excited to sell the fans in those cities in year 2 when they play there. What better way to promote ticket sales than playing on TV.
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

The USFL should hire a marketing team in each teams market to get word out. Why would I be a NJ Generals fan if I have no connection to the team, but live in the state. Put up a few billboards along the NJ Turnpike to "get behind your Generals." Have some pub crawls and watch parties in the North Jersey and NYC to build a fanbase. MLS does a great job at this with supporter groups being formed 2-3 years before an expansion team kicks off.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:36 am The USFL should hire a marketing team in each teams market to get word out. Why would I be a NJ Generals fan if I have no connection to the team, but live in the state. Put up a few billboards along the NJ Turnpike to "get behind your Generals." Have some pub crawls and watch parties in the North Jersey and NYC to build a fanbase. MLS does a great job at this with supporter groups being formed 2-3 years before an expansion team kicks off.
Of course there is a connection to the Generals if you are from NJ/NY. The season itself is the promotion you are talking about. Expect Riley to do the radio and newpaper circuit in NY metro area. This is a north NJ team - SNJ has the Stars.
FOX is promoting the league now which is correct. We're all anxious for heavy spend now, but they have 15 months before they have games in NJ at the very least. That was the point of playing in a hub, to grow into it and use the season to build local fan bases while savings costs and playing in 2022 vs 2023 which was not feasible in local markets given the time constraints and FOX's goals . And MLS can take 10 years their still going no where.