PFT: On USFL playing in Birminghan

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
4th&long
MVP

PFT: On USFL playing in Birminghan

Post by 4th&long »

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... irmingham/

>> Via Roy S. Johnson of AL.com, USFL officials acknowledged earlier this week that, on January 25, the Fox-owned venture will announce that all 43 games for 2022 will be played in Birmingham, Alabama.

The approach eliminates all travel costs, an important consideration given that the primary purpose of the games will be to put them on TV, and to use them as the impetus for legal gambling in the states that allow it. Where the games will be played doesn’t matter. Whether anyone attends the games doesn’t matter.

What matters is that, after football season ends, gamblers will have football games on which to wager.

As noted by Johnson, the initial eight teams could begin playing games in the cities for which they are named.<<
herns
Head Coach

Re: PFT: On USFL playing in Birminghan

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:24 am https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... irmingham/

>> Via Roy S. Johnson of AL.com, USFL officials acknowledged earlier this week that, on January 25, the Fox-owned venture will announce that all 43 games for 2022 will be played in Birmingham, Alabama.

The approach eliminates all travel costs, an important consideration given that the primary purpose of the games will be to put them on TV, and to use them as the impetus for legal gambling in the states that allow it. Where the games will be played doesn’t matter. Whether anyone attends the games doesn’t matter.

What matters is that, after football season ends, gamblers will have football games on which to wager.

As noted by Johnson, the initial eight teams could begin playing games in the cities for which they are named.<<
Not surprising, it’s an interesting business model at least for the bubble season and of next years a half bubble. I wonder how much that changes if they find team owners or viewership is really high
Uncle Coaster
Receiver

Post by Uncle Coaster »

4th&long wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:24 am Whether anyone attends the games doesn’t matter.
I’m sure the Birmingham officials love seeing this.

I am very interested in what type of attendance they can get and what ticket prices will look like. I’m hoping to get there for a weekend set myself.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Attendance matters. Most importantly, hopefully the Stallions can get some traction in the market. But beyond that, the crowd influences the quality of the television broadcast, which is what is especially important. Clearly, going with a bubble means you're making a conscious decision to sacrifice attendance, so I'm sure expectations are modest, but I don't think that means it doesn't matter at all.

Hopefully the Birmingham officials are doing this for the sake of having all these players, coaches, and league officials come to town and spend money. Other than maybe a few sickos like us, out of town fans aren't going to be coming in.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Uncle Coaster wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:02 pm
4th&long wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:24 am Whether anyone attends the games doesn’t matter.
I’m sure the Birmingham officials love seeing this.

I am very interested in what type of attendance they can get and what ticket prices will look like. I’m hoping to get there for a weekend set myself.
That's Mike Florio's take - not mine. recall that 1/4 games every week will include the local fan favorite Birmingham Stallions, I'm sure those will do alot better.

I could see the USFL giving away or low pricing tickets for the games to get attendance up for 40 games over 10 weeks - especially the other 30.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:23 pm Attendance matters. Most importantly, hopefully the Stallions can get some traction in the market. But beyond that, the crowd influences the quality of the television broadcast, which is what is especially important. Clearly, going with a bubble means you're making a conscious decision to sacrifice attendance, so I'm sure expectations are modest, but I don't think that means it doesn't matter at all.

Hopefully the Birmingham officials are doing this for the sake of having all these players, coaches, and league officials come to town and spend money. Other than maybe a few sickos like us, out of town fans aren't going to be coming in.
:shock: :shock: whacko maybe but sicko ? :lol: :lol:
Jack
Linebacker

Post by Jack »

Tank55 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:23 pm Attendance matters. Most importantly, hopefully the Stallions can get some traction in the market. But beyond that, the crowd influences the quality of the television broadcast, which is what is especially important. Clearly, going with a bubble means you're making a conscious decision to sacrifice attendance, so I'm sure expectations are modest, but I don't think that means it doesn't matter at all.

According to this article from an Alabama news site, USFL will use the two stadiums free of charge. Revenue for the Birmingham Jefferson Civic Center "will be generated by ticketing, concessions, and parking," which depends entirely on how many people show up for the games. The city and county seem to be aware of the potential for low attendance, judging by the fact that they have collectively pledged $3.5 million to cover any losses.

As you suggest, it seems that the main reason local officials are on board with this venture is to have players, coaches, and other assorted personnel come to town and spend money. The article says that over 40,000 hotel nights will be needed to house teams and personnel, suggesting that they are expected to reside permanently in Birmingham during the 10-week season. If that's true, it will plow revenue into local businesses and probably create a lot of new jobs. The visitors' bureau estimates a total economic impact on the area of $15 million, which even if you factor in $3.5 million worth of losses would still be a pretty big deal for a mid-sized city like Birmingham.

I do, however, think that this setup raises some interesting questions about what it means for a team to be from a certain place. Aside from Kevin Sumlin, none of these coaches seem to have any particular links to the states or cities whose teams they'll be coaching, and I doubt it'll be any different for the players. None of the teams (apart from the Stallions, of course) will be playing at home, and if it's true that all teams will live in Birmingham during the season, then they won't be practicing at home either. And if football fans in Houston, Tampa, or Philadelphia can't physically travel to the games, it'll be hard for the non-Stallion teams to build up a loyal fanbase. Even if I'm a lifelong Michigander, why should I care about the Panthers? If the coach and players aren't from Michigan and they don't play or practice in Michigan, then they might as well be the Oskaloosa Panthers or the Spokane Panthers. I suppose you have similar issues in the NFL when franchises move to new cities, but at least the fans in those cities can actually go and watch their new teams play.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Jack wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:02 pm

According to this article from an Alabama news site, USFL will use the two stadiums free of charge. Revenue for the Birmingham Jefferson Civic Center "will be generated by ticketing, concessions, and parking," which depends entirely on how many people show up for the games. The city and county seem to be aware of the potential for low attendance, judging by the fact that they have collectively pledged $3.5 million to cover any losses.

As you suggest, it seems that the main reason local officials are on board with this venture is to have players, coaches, and other assorted personnel come to town and spend money. The article says that over 40,000 hotel nights will be needed to house teams and personnel, suggesting that they are expected to reside permanently in Birmingham during the 10-week season. If that's true, it will plow revenue into local businesses and probably create a lot of new jobs. The visitors' bureau estimates a total economic impact on the area of $15 million, which even if you factor in $3.5 million worth of losses would still be a pretty big deal for a mid-sized city like Birmingham.

I do, however, think that this setup raises some interesting questions about what it means for a team to be from a certain place. Aside from Kevin Sumlin, none of these coaches seem to have any particular links to the states or cities whose teams they'll be coaching, and I doubt it'll be any different for the players. None of the teams (apart from the Stallions, of course) will be playing at home, and if it's true that all teams will live in Birmingham during the season, then they won't be practicing at home either. And if football fans in Houston, Tampa, or Philadelphia can't physically travel to the games, it'll be hard for the non-Stallion teams to build up a loyal fanbase. Even if I'm a lifelong Michigander, why should I care about the Panthers? If the coach and players aren't from Michigan and they don't play or practice in Michigan, then they might as well be the Oskaloosa Panthers or the Spokane Panthers. I suppose you have similar issues in the NFL when franchises move to new cities, but at least the fans in those cities can actually go and watch their new teams play.
Yes and no. Its one short season to promote the teams and the league to fans before another 4 or 5 go to their local cities. Will it be easier to "sell" fans on a team they have seen or one that hasn't played a game in a new league? I think it will.

These are pluses beyond cost saving to play year 1 in one location.
Jack
Linebacker

Post by Jack »

4th&long wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:50 pm
Jack wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:02 pm

Yes and no. Its one short season to promote the teams and the league to fans before another 4 or 5 go to their local cities. Will it be easier to "sell" fans on a team they have seen or one that hasn't played a game in a new league? I think it will.

These are pluses beyond cost saving to play year 1 in one location.
Fair enough. I will say, though, that my friend from New Jersey was excited to hear that his state was finally getting its own football team, right up until I told him the team name :lol:

I for one am excited to see the teams in action once they come together—I'm not from any of the states or cities with their own teams, so my loyalties are still undecided. It'll be fun to see which one becomes my favorite.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

The cost savings may be worth it, but I disagree that the bubble season is going to make moving tickets easier. There's a novelty factor that's being lost. Plus half of these teams, by definition, are going to finish in the bottom half of the standings.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion