The "It's Too Early to talk about Expansion" Thread

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
4th&long
MVP

Re: The "It's Too Early to talk about Expansion" Thread

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:31 pm
Firecop wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:30 pm Tank, how would you see an XFL/USFL work? Would it be an acquisition, a merger, or maybe a thinned down merger? Perhaps take the ten most profitable teams? I am really curious.
I guess I'm imagining a merger (of ownership, not necessarily of the teams). I definitely don't think FOX would acquire the XFL; they're already seeking to reduce their share of ownership. Would the XFL acquire the USFL? The USFL itself isn't worth much of anything; it's the ownership (FOX) that's appealing. So I don't see how that would make sense.

A merger is pretty easy to imagine, because that's basically the XFL 2001 setup. FOX offers television distribution and big time football bona fides; the XFL group can help shoulder the costs and let Garcia/Rock be the faces of the league. And they're no longer competing with one another for players, coaches, and maybe even venues.
I'm pretty much on same page. I really don't think RBC wants to be in the running a league biz and same for Rk/DG beyond the launch year.