The "It's Too Early to talk about Expansion" Thread

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
Firecop
Coach

Re: The "It's Too Early to talk about Expansion" Thread

Post by Firecop »

This is not the first time that I have read that the speculation that XFL may be aiming for a merger with the USFL but I just don't see the point. Why would a "late to the dance" startup league eye merging with another startup league? Supposedly the XFL has spent all this time getting their business plan and model in order and it certainly won't be the same as the USFL's in various ways. The USFL has a big bucks benefactor behind them and a TV contract to boot, is that everything that the XFL doesn't have? They have Redbird Capital but no TV? I can't see how aligning themselves with another, as yet unproven league, benefits them. It just makes the XFL look woefully unprepared, weak and desperate.Hopefully, they will soon reveal their grand plan - VERY SOON!
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Well, FOX doesn't want to be a big bucks benefactor, they want cost certainty and a path to profitability. We know they're looking to sell franchises; why couldn't RedBird be a buyer?

I don't think it's likely, but I don't think you have to squint too hard to see how the two sides could fit together. Certainly no less an awkward fit than CFL-XFL, and we know that was a serious discussion.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

Firecop wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:52 am This is not the first time that I have read that the speculation that XFL may be aiming for a merger with the USFL but I just don't see the point. Why would a "late to the dance" startup league eye merging with another startup league? Supposedly the XFL has spent all this time getting their business plan and model in order and it certainly won't be the same as the USFL's in various ways. The USFL has a big bucks benefactor behind them and a TV contract to boot, is that everything that the XFL doesn't have? They have Redbird Capital but no TV? I can't see how aligning themselves with another, as yet unproven league, benefits them. It just makes the XFL look woefully unprepared, weak and desperate.Hopefully, they will soon reveal their grand plan - VERY SOON!
Was there another article about this?
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

CFL isn't ever going to merge with an American league. I also find it hard to believe that they would close up shop after a few not so great seasons. Sooner or later, the CFL will embrace gambling and fantasy football. They also need a consistent video game. For a league that has lasted as long as they have, the fact that they don't have a consistent video game is surprising. Once they get that down, they need to embrace Esports. The CFL's rules is what makes them unique. I had always thought a merger with the XFL meant that those rules would go away. It's not a baseball thing where the only major rule difference in MLB was that in the National League pitchers got to hit, which has gone away this season. If the CFL had one significant rule change, like pre-snap motion, the rouge or the Canadian Ratio and it was a league that had four downs, 100 yards, goalposts at the back of the endzones a potential CFL-XFL merger might have been easier. A USFL-XFL eventual merger will be easier than an XFL-CFL merger.

As for USFL, while right now, all 8 teams are basically in the same markets they were in 40 years ago, when the USFL expands again, I don't think we'll see the next set of teams in the same markets as they were 40 years ago. The Invaders will not go back to Oakland if the USFL ever decides to expand West of the Brazos River in East Texas. They might end up in San Francisco or San Jose, with an outside chance of Sacramento, but not Oakland. Another team I can't see returning is the Oklahoma Outlaws.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

GDAWG wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:49 pm CFL isn't ever going to merge with an American league.
Ever!? They just engaged in serious discussions with an on paper-only American league last year. I think you're wildly overestimating the stability of the CFL.
GDAWG wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:49 pmAs for USFL, while right now, all 8 teams are basically in the same markets they were in 40 years ago
All eight teams are in the Birmingham market. I'm not saying that to be a troll or pedantic; that's an important reality to recognize. Until the Gamblers actually live and play in Houston, they're not in the Houston market. In any sense.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Tank55 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:18 pm
GDAWG wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:49 pm CFL isn't ever going to merge with an American league.
Ever!? They just engaged in serious discussions with an on paper-only American league last year. I think you're wildly overestimating the stability of the CFL.
GDAWG wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:49 pmAs for USFL, while right now, all 8 teams are basically in the same markets they were in 40 years ago
All eight teams are in the Birmingham market. I'm not saying that to be a troll or pedantic; that's an important reality to recognize. Until the Gamblers actually live and play in Houston, they're not in the Houston market. In any sense.
Maybe I am but I find it hard to believe that they would destroy everything they have that makes them different than the NFL (3 downs, 12 men, 110 yards, goalposts in front of the end zones, pre snap motion) to make it basically NFL Canada by going 4 downs, 11 men, 100 yards and goalposts in the back of the endzone.
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

Tank, how would you see an XFL/USFL work? Would it be an acquisition, a merger, or maybe a thinned down merger? Perhaps take the ten most profitable teams? I am really curious.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:49 pm
Tank55 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:18 pm
Maybe I am but I find it hard to believe that they would destroy everything they have that makes them different than the NFL (3 downs, 12 men, 110 yards, goalposts in front of the end zones, pre snap motion) to make it basically NFL Canada by going 4 downs, 11 men, 100 yards and goalposts in the back of the endzone.
I don't see the CFL changing radically unless they realllllly have to to stay afloat.

They would have to change seasons.
And if you think about it , there are now FB leagues either playing or planning to play that covers Sept -Early Feb, Mid Feb thru April, Mid April thru Early July, Mid June - Nov.

But ultimately the CFL big city teams - esp Toronto would look to join the NFL. The smaller cities with solid followings could join the XFL, USFL etc...
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Firecop wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:30 pm Tank, how would you see an XFL/USFL work? Would it be an acquisition, a merger, or maybe a thinned down merger? Perhaps take the ten most profitable teams? I am really curious.
I guess I'm imagining a merger (of ownership, not necessarily of the teams). I definitely don't think FOX would acquire the XFL; they're already seeking to reduce their share of ownership. Would the XFL acquire the USFL? The USFL itself isn't worth much of anything; it's the ownership (FOX) that's appealing. So I don't see how that would make sense.

A merger is pretty easy to imagine, because that's basically the XFL 2001 setup. FOX offers television distribution and big time football bona fides; the XFL group can help shoulder the costs and let Garcia/Rock be the faces of the league. And they're no longer competing with one another for players, coaches, and maybe even venues.
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

Ok, got it - thanks. That makes more sense than what I was inferring that you meant.