The "It's Too Early to talk about Expansion" Thread

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
GDAWG
Head Coach
Posts: 1376
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:15 pm

The "It's Too Early to talk about Expansion" Thread

Post by GDAWG »

As the title states LOL.

Having said that, if the plan in the future is to return to original USFL cities, that will be hard to do. While Los Angeles, Arizona, Chicago, Denver, Jacksonville, Washington and Orlando may be easier to do, there's zero chance the Oakland Invaders come back as if the USFL wants to go into the Bay Area it will probably be San Jose. It's because the Invaders would have nowhere to play in Oakland if they enter the league. The Coliseum will eventually be torn down once the A's resolve their stadium situation and it's highly doubtful that the University of California will allow the Invaders to play at their stadium, even though Berkeley is only 15 minutes away from Oakland. The only option is San Jose, either at PayPal Park (where the MLS team plays) or CEFCU Stadium (San Jose State) or the longshot of Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara (16 minutes away from San Jose). Unlikely Stanford wants the USFL to play at their stadium either.

Oklahoma would be interesting. If it's Oklahoma City, where would they play? Norman is part of the OKC metro area, but does the University of Oklahoma want the USFL to play there? If not, it may have to be Tulsa.

This is why I suspect the USFL will go into newer cities once they expand, like San Jose or even some of the cities the XFL was in like Dallas and Seattle.
4th&long
MVP
Posts: 2591
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:27 pm

Re: The "It's Too Early to talk about Expansion" Thread

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:58 pm As the title states LOL.

Having said that, if the plan in the future is to return to original USFL cities, that will be hard to do. While Los Angeles, Arizona, Chicago, Denver, Jacksonville, Washington and Orlando may be easier to do, there's zero chance the Oakland Invaders come back as if the USFL wants to go into the Bay Area it will probably be San Jose. It's because the Invaders would have nowhere to play in Oakland if they enter the league. The Coliseum will eventually be torn down once the A's resolve their stadium situation and it's highly doubtful that the University of California will allow the Invaders to play at their stadium, even though Berkeley is only 15 minutes away from Oakland. The only option is San Jose, either at PayPal Park (where the MLS team plays) or CEFCU Stadium (San Jose State) or the longshot of Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara (16 minutes away from San Jose). Unlikely Stanford wants the USFL to play at their stadium either.

Oklahoma would be interesting. If it's Oklahoma City, where would they play? Norman is part of the OKC metro area, but does the University of Oklahoma want the USFL to play there? If not, it may have to be Tulsa.

This is why I suspect the USFL will go into newer cities once they expand, like San Jose or even some of the cities the XFL was in like Dallas and Seattle.
The USFL would only expand if they get super stellar ratings and investors knocking.
Assuming that doesn't happen and they have a good start but nothing off the charts I don't see it happen. But if they do I would expect TV oriented locations - LA, Chicago, DC, Dallas, Seattle, Oakland, Phoenix, Orlando, Atlanta then SA, Portland, OKC

With LA and DC in XFL and expensive/not biz friendly states/cities - I would say Phoenix, Orlando depending on what XFL does. I still think XFL may be angling for a merger of some type and bring in their major cities of Dallas/DC/Seattle and STL. But that's highly early speculation.
Sounder
Coach
Posts: 542
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:04 am

Re: The "It's Too Early to talk about Expansion" Thread

Post by Sounder »

San Jose doesn't really have a viable option either. The MLS Earthquakes might have a say in whether they can use Avaya Stadium (less than 20,000 cap).....there's Spartan Stadium and that too is controlled by a college team. But maybe.
GDAWG
Head Coach
Posts: 1376
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:15 pm

Re: The "It's Too Early to talk about Expansion" Thread

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:33 pm
GDAWG wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:58 pm As the title states LOL.

Having said that, if the plan in the future is to return to original USFL cities, that will be hard to do. While Los Angeles, Arizona, Chicago, Denver, Jacksonville, Washington and Orlando may be easier to do, there's zero chance the Oakland Invaders come back as if the USFL wants to go into the Bay Area it will probably be San Jose. It's because the Invaders would have nowhere to play in Oakland if they enter the league. The Coliseum will eventually be torn down once the A's resolve their stadium situation and it's highly doubtful that the University of California will allow the Invaders to play at their stadium, even though Berkeley is only 15 minutes away from Oakland. The only option is San Jose, either at PayPal Park (where the MLS team plays) or CEFCU Stadium (San Jose State) or the longshot of Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara (16 minutes away from San Jose). Unlikely Stanford wants the USFL to play at their stadium either.

Oklahoma would be interesting. If it's Oklahoma City, where would they play? Norman is part of the OKC metro area, but does the University of Oklahoma want the USFL to play there? If not, it may have to be Tulsa.

This is why I suspect the USFL will go into newer cities once they expand, like San Jose or even some of the cities the XFL was in like Dallas and Seattle.
The USFL would only expand if they get super stellar ratings and investors knocking.
Assuming that doesn't happen and they have a good start but nothing off the charts I don't see it happen. But if they do I would expect TV oriented locations - LA, Chicago, DC, Dallas, Seattle, Oakland, Phoenix, Orlando, Atlanta then SA, Portland, OKC

With LA and DC in XFL and expensive/not biz friendly states/cities - I would say Phoenix, Orlando depending on what XFL does. I still think XFL may be angling for a merger of some type and bring in their major cities of Dallas/DC/Seattle and STL. But that's highly early speculation.
Oakland is not going to work for reasons I have said before.
4th&long
MVP
Posts: 2591
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:27 pm

Re: The "It's Too Early to talk about Expansion" Thread

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:14 pm
4th&long wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:33 pm
GDAWG wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:58 pm As the title states LOL.

Having said that, if the plan in the future is to return to original USFL cities, that will be hard to do. While Los Angeles, Arizona, Chicago, Denver, Jacksonville, Washington and Orlando may be easier to do, there's zero chance the Oakland Invaders come back as if the USFL wants to go into the Bay Area it will probably be San Jose. It's because the Invaders would have nowhere to play in Oakland if they enter the league. The Coliseum will eventually be torn down once the A's resolve their stadium situation and it's highly doubtful that the University of California will allow the Invaders to play at their stadium, even though Berkeley is only 15 minutes away from Oakland. The only option is San Jose, either at PayPal Park (where the MLS team plays) or CEFCU Stadium (San Jose State) or the longshot of Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara (16 minutes away from San Jose). Unlikely Stanford wants the USFL to play at their stadium either.

Oklahoma would be interesting. If it's Oklahoma City, where would they play? Norman is part of the OKC metro area, but does the University of Oklahoma want the USFL to play there? If not, it may have to be Tulsa.

This is why I suspect the USFL will go into newer cities once they expand, like San Jose or even some of the cities the XFL was in like Dallas and Seattle.
The USFL would only expand if they get super stellar ratings and investors knocking.
Assuming that doesn't happen and they have a good start but nothing off the charts I don't see it happen. But if they do I would expect TV oriented locations - LA, Chicago, DC, Dallas, Seattle, Oakland, Phoenix, Orlando, Atlanta then SA, Portland, OKC

With LA and DC in XFL and expensive/not biz friendly states/cities - I would say Phoenix, Orlando depending on what XFL does. I still think XFL may be angling for a merger of some type and bring in their major cities of Dallas/DC/Seattle and STL. But that's highly early speculation.
Oakland is not going to work for reasons I have said before.
Understood. Its just a large city/area (bay area) with old USFL name

For the same reason why I don't see USFL in LA-at least for a while (expensive/not biz friendly states/cities) I really don't see Oakland anyway. USFL is so focused on cost they likely avoid CA until they have a real push for it. Plus XFL will likely stay there as USFL avoided it an they are a big nielsen market for them
Lupo
Rookie
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:52 am

Re: The "It's Too Early to talk about Expansion" Thread

Post by Lupo »

This message is sent in regards to member GDAWG. You have good knowledge of the Bay Area market. Are you a Bay Area resident?

Lupo
Stay In Oakland
GDAWG
Head Coach
Posts: 1376
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:15 pm

Re: The "It's Too Early to talk about Expansion" Thread

Post by GDAWG »

Lupo wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:03 am This message is sent in regards to member GDAWG. You have good knowledge of the Bay Area market. Are you a Bay Area resident?

Lupo
Stay In Oakland
No but I have family there.
User avatar
Tank55
Head Coach
Posts: 1906
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:57 pm

Re: The "It's Too Early to talk about Expansion" Thread

Post by Tank55 »

GDAWG wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:58 pmif the plan in the future is to return to original USFL cities, that will be hard to do.
It's not. The plan is to sell franchises to in-market owners. So demand for team ownership will guide where relocations and, maybe someday, expansion will occur.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
herns
Coach
Posts: 587
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:53 am

Re: The "It's Too Early to talk about Expansion" Thread

Post by herns »

Tank55 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:35 pm
GDAWG wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:58 pmif the plan in the future is to return to original USFL cities, that will be hard to do.
It's not. The plan is to sell franchises to in-market owners. So demand for team ownership will guide where relocations and, maybe someday, expansion will occur.
This will be interesting to watch, as mike Mitchell has said they chose locations based on where they had team bidders already lined up so to be interesting to see if anything changes with that
4th&long
MVP
Posts: 2591
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:27 pm

Re: The "It's Too Early to talk about Expansion" Thread

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:04 pm
Tank55 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:35 pm
GDAWG wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:58 pmif the plan in the future is to return to original USFL cities, that will be hard to do.
It's not. The plan is to sell franchises to in-market owners. So demand for team ownership will guide where relocations and, maybe someday, expansion will occur.
This will be interesting to watch, as mike Mitchell has said they chose locations based on where they had team bidders already lined up so to be interesting to see if anything changes with that
I read that too, but I hope its more than talk.
Post Reply