Head Coach Hal Mumme!!!

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
Turbo4545
Rookie

Head Coach Hal Mumme!!!

Post by Turbo4545 »

Air Raid Hal Mumme won the the spring league championship as the head coach of the LINEMAN...he should be a head coach for one of the USFL teams! He's a great coach!
Him and Mike Leach were the architects of the all these air raid offenses that everyone runs both in college and in the NFL nowadays!
4th&long
MVP

Re: Head Coach Hal Mumme!!!

Post by 4th&long »

Turbo4545 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:29 am Air Raid Hal Mumme won the the spring league championship as the head coach of the LINEMAN...he should be a head coach for one of the USFL teams! He's a great coach!
Him and Mike Leach were the architects of the all these air raid offenses that everyone runs both in college and in the NFL nowadays!
He was on my short list - and he's expressed interest. I can see him in the final 4.

I'm hoping Jim Caldwell is done with NFL wear and tear and takes Michigan - which I think will go over well there.

I hope the USFL announces 1-2 coaches this week at least.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:10 pm
Turbo4545 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:29 am Air Raid Hal Mumme won the the spring league championship as the head coach of the LINEMAN...he should be a head coach for one of the USFL teams! He's a great coach!
He was on my short list - and he's expressed interest. I can see him in the final 4.

I'm hoping Jim Caldwell is done with NFL wear and tear and takes Michigan - which I think will go over well there.

Miami is interested in talking to him.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:27 pm

I heard - but could be just to meet Rooney rule
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Stephen Ross just wants a patsy who's going to trade for his beloved Deshaun Watson (you know, the whole 'under investigation' wasn't a thing apparently), that's why Flores got bounced, that and I would imagine Caldwell isn't too keen on having anything to do with the essentially the same spot as Detroit.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

I though the rumors were that Flores was the one pushing for Watson (as well as Watson waiving his no trade clause for only Miami because he wanted to play for Flores) and Ross sided with Grier/Tua.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

He very well could have flipped and pinned that on Flores as well to justify the firing (as much as he can anyway), but Ross has been all in on Watson--though he has kind of been all over the place on that as well.
nick1091
Running Back

Post by nick1091 »

4th&long wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:36 pm

He's also either been interviewed or is interviewing with Jacksonville. Both teams have multiple candidates of color so I don't think it's Rooney related. Who knows if he'd be a top candidate for either, but I can't imagine he'd sign for USFL until those doors are for sure closed. At his age this might be his last year as a viable NFL HC candidate.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Texans just opened up too, although the only prestige those two jobs seem to have is they both play the NFC East and AFC West (which means Cowboys, Eagles, Chiefs, Raiders) next season, so they'll at least get a chance to see playoff teams.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

nick1091 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:32 pm
4th&long wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:36 pm

He's also either been interviewed or is interviewing with Jacksonville. Both teams have multiple candidates of color so I don't think it's Rooney related. Who knows if he'd be a top candidate for either, but I can't imagine he'd sign for USFL until those doors are for sure closed. At his age this might be his last year as a viable NFL HC candidate.
This is why I think he may be a candidate for USFL. He's at a good age for it.

I think he got a raw deal in Detroit and going into Michigan would be sweet justice, if willing to take a shorter term lessor job for less money of course. But at 66 the trade off of way less time commitment could be what he wants.