USFL roster size

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
4th&long
MVP

USFL roster size

Post by 4th&long »

USFL roster is 38. However there is a 7 man Practice squad. At least for 2022. The TSL had a 38 man roster as well.

Pros, Cons, and specuation:

PROS:
- One pro for the league is cost - smaller roster size = smaller team salary. That helps USFL survival into 2023. That's what this league is about, its not over spending others money. Its Fox spending its own money.
- Smaller active roster means more playing time for those who sign up. More playing time means more experience and film, the two things the NFL is looking for (CFL too but that could be a more lateral move).
- Team Practice squads will likely practice like active players therefore ready to go but get paid a lower salary, until activated. Another cost saver for the new league.
- Less coaches, trainers, and other staff required to support a smaller team size. And its easier to manage for a Coach with GM duties.
- Less cost for non-salary too - ie Room & Board, Workers Comp ins, back office support etc...

CONS:
- Smaller roster size means less players to play during the game. Injuries and wear and tear on players could make that tough, but the TSL managed and WLAF used 40 I believe.
- Less players means less chance to substitute under performing players or get backups ready to step in.

SPECULATION:
- Here's my gut feeling (addresses the last Con), Practice Squad players will be available to be activated during a game if there is a game ending injury to a player. This will be a departure from NFL and prior leagues. It will be much easier to implement in a bubble format as no need for the PS players to travel. An activated player will get a game check. I'm curious to see if this happens.

What's the boards thoughts on USFL active and PS roster size?
Gopher123
Quarterback

Re: USFL roster size

Post by Gopher123 »

4th&long wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:15 am USFL roster is 38. However there is a 7 man Practice squad. At least for 2022. The TSL had a 38 man roster as well.

PROS:
- One pro for the league is cost - smaller roster size = smaller team salary. That helps USFL survival into 2023. That's what this league is about, its not over spending others money. Its Fox spending its own money.
- Smaller active roster means more playing time for those who sign up. More playing time means more experience and film, the two things the NFL is looking for (CFL too but that could be a more lateral move).
- Team Practice squads will likely practice like active players therefore ready to go but get paid a lower salary, until activated. Another cost saver for the new league.
- Less coaches, trainers, and other staff required to support a smaller team size. And its easier to manage for a Coach with GM duties.
- Less cost for non-salary too - ie Room & Board, Workers Comp ins, back office support etc...

CONS:
- Smaller roster size means less players to play during the game. Injuries and wear and tear on players could make that tough, but the TSL managed and WLAF used 40 I believe.
- Less players means less chance to substitute under performing players or get backups ready to step in.

SPECULATION:
- Here's my gut feeling (addresses the last Con), Practice Squad players will be available to be activated during a game if there is a game ending injury to a player. This will be a departure from NFL and prior leagues. It will be much easier to implement in a bubble format as no need for the PS players to travel. An activated player will get a game check. I'm curious to see if this happens.

I think you’re spot on with your assessment. I also think this would work great under normal circumstances. COVID concerns me with the smaller roster sizes. I don’t know what the leagues protocols will be yet but if they have a large number of positives teams will get very thin very quick. It will be one thing to be able to dress all 38 and another to be able to have quality games. I’m hoping this doesn’t happen but it’s foolish not to prepare for this when we’ve seen what it’s done to the NFL rosters this year.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Gopher123 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:40 am
4th&long wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:15 am USFL roster is 38. However there is a 7 man Practice squad. At least for 2022. The TSL had a 38 man roster as well.

PROS:

CONS:

SPECULATION:

I think you’re spot on with your assessment. I also think this would work great under normal circumstances. COVID concerns me with the smaller roster sizes. I don’t know what the leagues protocols will be yet but if they have a large number of positives teams will get very thin very quick. It will be one thing to be able to dress all 38 and another to be able to have quality games. I’m hoping this doesn’t happen but it’s foolish not to prepare for this when we’ve seen what it’s done to the NFL rosters this year.
Thanks.

Now then, let's see if covid follows last years pattern, holiday surge-peak-big drop, all within 2 weeks of year end (cases) with major drop by Feb I5. Plus they likely will require all players vaxed thru booster. Plus Omicron is considered much less serious than previous version (its why CDC and NFL lowered sickness protocols and why Walmart just reduced paid time off for covid from 2 to 1 week). And its in Alabama - not exactly a lockdown state. And its an election year. blah blah I'm not going to get concerned about on Jan 9th more than 3 months before April 16th start date.
We'll just have to hold our collective breaths and pray for best.
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

4th&long wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:15 pm

PROS:

CONS:

SPECULATION:

Thanks.

Now then, let's see if covid follows last years pattern, holiday surge-peak-big drop, all within 2 weeks of year end (cases) with major drop by Feb I5. Plus they likely will require all players vaxed thru booster. Plus Omicron is considered much less serious than previous version (its why CDC and NFL lowered sickness protocols and why Walmart just reduced paid time off for covid from 2 to 1 week). And its in Alabama - not exactly a lockdown state. And its an election year. blah blah I'm not going to get concerned about on Jan 9th more than 3 months before April 16th start date.
One problem is that people who are vaxed and boosted are still getting/spreading. I agree, that it appears in most cases omicron is less serious but more easily contracted. Alarming when you’re in a team setting. A positive test is still a positive test regardless of the severity of the cases. I know we’re 3 months away yet but COVID isn’t going away by then, not even close. The USFL and XFL are going to have to deal with it which is why I’m curious as to how each league will handle testing, protocols, etc. If there’s an outbreak less than 24 hours before a game this could create a big issue for the smaller roster size. Let’s hope it doesn’t happen but they need to have a plan in place which I would think they will. Aside from that I can’t think of any other big problems with the smaller roster.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Gopher123 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:30 am
4th&long wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:15 pm

Thanks.

One problem is that people who are vaxed and boosted are still getting/spreading. I agree, that it appears in most cases omicron is less serious but more easily contracted. Alarming when you’re in a team setting. A positive test is still a positive test regardless of the severity of the cases. I know we’re 3 months away yet but COVID isn’t going away by then, not even close. The USFL and XFL are going to have to deal with it which is why I’m curious as to how each league will handle testing, protocols, etc. If there’s an outbreak less than 24 hours before a game this could create a big issue for the smaller roster size. Let’s hope it doesn’t happen but they need to have a plan in place which I would think they will. Aside from that I can’t think of any other big problems with the smaller roster.
Understood, but we don't know the mood of the country in April. We also do not know the frequency of the testing. ie weekly 100% or only those with symptoms - with no player union there won't be a push for daily or weekly testing. And even the NFLPA did a 180 once their members said "We want to play!" and together with league made multiple changes in a matter of days to reduce covid restrictions. Walmart, supermarkets and offices don't test their employees - its not required.
What will likely happen by then is many players will already have been vaxed and also had omicron and pretty much be done with it. Look at the covid adverse 69 yo Arians for TB - was back on field after a few days.

These players are going to want to play - I hear you but I'm not nearly as concerned.