AB to the USFL

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
herns
Head Coach

AB to the USFL

Post by herns »

Antonio Browns appearance on Bob Menery full send podcast (that releases later today) apparently reveals Todd Haley is trying to recruit him to the USFL

https://twitter.com/charlesrobinson/sta ... 51616?s=21
MGB01
MVP

Re: AB to the USFL

Post by MGB01 »

Haley probably had decent relationship with him, back when Martavis Bryant was the PC. But if it's just AB saying this I wouldn't put too much in it. Remember it wasn't all that long ago he'd rather have bought the XFL than played in it.

In fact wasn't Menery an owner in FCF last year? I'd be more inclined to believe he was the one recruiting
Last edited by MGB01 on Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

MGB01 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:19 pm Haley probably had decent relationship with him, back when Martavis Bryant was the PC. But if it's just AB saying this I wouldn't put too much in it.

Remember it wasn't all that long ago he'd rather have bought the XFL than played in it.
He sent laughing emojis as a response but my worry is are coaches going to be going after the older former players and not really following what the league seems to want. My biggest fear is Sumlin reaching out to manziel lol
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

herns wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:25 pm
MGB01 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:19 pm Haley probably had decent relationship with him, back when Martavis Bryant was the PC. But if it's just AB saying this I wouldn't put too much in it.

Remember it wasn't all that long ago he'd rather have bought the XFL than played in it.
He sent laughing emojis as a response but my worry is are coaches going to be going after the older former players and not really following what the league seems to want. My biggest fear is Sumlin reaching out to manziel lol
I wouldn't worry about it. Manziel started to regress bigtime after 2012 and instead of challenging Bama and Auburn for the SEC West they were reduced to a fourth quarter comeback just to beat Duke in the Peach Bowl. Plus the Sumlin/Mike Zimmer convo I mentioned in the other thread.

Sure, Urban Meyer's relationship with Carlos Hyde ended badly at OSU and yet Hyde was one of his first signings (though that seemed to be more Trent Baalke) in Jacksonville, but I'm not sure we wanna really hold Meyer up as anything.

These coaches want to win, they aren't out to waste time in a TV production, else they'd have said no thanks and no thanks.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

MGB01 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:43 pm

I wouldn't worry about it. Manziel started to regress bigtime after 2012 and instead of challenging Bama and Auburn for the SEC West they were reduced to a fourth quarter comeback just to beat Duke in the Peach Bowl. Plus the Sumlin/Mike Zimmer convo I mentioned in the other thread.

Sure, Urban Meyer's relationship with Carlos Hyde ended badly and yet Hyde was one of his first signings (though that seemed to be more Trent Baalke) in Jacksonville, but I'm not sure we wanna really hold Meyer up as anything.

These coaches want to win, they aren't out to waste time in a TV production, else they'd have said no thanks and no thanks.
Oh they 100% want to win, my worry is sumlins going to look back at when he had the most success and try and run it back
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Why would that worry you? Someone has to lose each week. Or are you rooting for the Gamblers?
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

Tank55 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:04 pm Why would that worry you? Someone has to lose each week. Or are you rooting for the Gamblers?
More worried the league would turn into a mess with manziel, plus I’d rather see young guys get spots. I kinda hope Haley is the only gm coach that has the method of let’s try and get my old players back. Just don’t want the league to be a circus lol
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Keep in mind the League is creating the draft pool first (sure there could be some coach lobbying), and the avail players need to sign contracts prior to being avail to be selected on Feb 22-23.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Forget how the league comes off, if Sumlin goes all in on Manziel and he flops all the sudden he looks like a guy who lost his last game 70-7 instead of the guy who beat Saban and Stoops in the same year. That's precisely why he won't. Manziel has been a week one starter all of once since he was drafted (unless you're counting FCF), that's not the guy to do that with. Camp invite and fight for a job maybe, but no way he'll go for that.

AB (still not sure how valid this is) is a different set of obstacles entirely, even putting aside the question of how Haley could rein him in when his predecessor (Arians was Steelers OC before Haley), or more accurately TB12, couldn't.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:44 pm Forget how the league comes off, if Sumlin goes all in on Manziel and he flops all the sudden he looks like a guy who lost his last game 70-7 instead of the guy who beat Saban and Stoops in the same year. That's precisely why he won't. Manziel has been a week one starter all of once since he was drafted (unless you're counting FCF), that's not the guy to do that with. Camp invite and fight for a job maybe, but no way he'll go for that.

AB (still not sure how valid this is) is a different set of obstacles entirely, even putting aside the question of how Haley could rein him in when his predecessor (Arians was Steelers OC before Haley), or more accurately TB12, couldn't.
He most definitely will be competing for a spot and if sucks will get McGloin'd and Perez steps in. We need a thread or rethread on USFL players