AB to the USFL

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
MGB01
MVP

Re: AB to the USFL

Post by MGB01 »

I feel for the Antonio Brown who played a bit for the Bills and Redskins back in the 2000s. He's literally like 'that wasn't me!'
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

I hope both the USFL and XFL go for young players (Wannabes) and not retreads (Has Beens)! The idea is to offer them an opportunity to make it to the NFL and that may be an exception for a few players who have had limited looks in the NFL, but hopefully not the old dogs.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

Firecop wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:19 pm I hope both the USFL and XFL go for young players (Wannabes) and not retreads (Has Beens)! The idea is to offer them an opportunity to make it to the NFL and that may be an exception for a few players who have had limited looks in the NFL, but hopefully not the old dogs.

I’m ok with retreads for these leagues starting off. If selected correctly they can add stability to some areas of need. The focus of these leagues needs to be quality of games and making it to years 2,3,etc. It’s hard to get young offensive lineman to play well right from the start, though there are exceptions. If a Chad Kelly for example, is running for his life all game that isn’t going to be beneficial for anyone. We saw how the offenses struggled the first few weeks of the XFL with everyone trying to find rhythm. I think some veteran players, playing alongside young players, helps speed up their maturation process. Like a Will Hill playing alongside Kenny Robinson in St. Louis.

I think as the leagues progress and players can be on a roster for longer than a few months, the younger players will start outplaying more of the veterans. Then you will see the average age of the players come down some but we have to get a few years down the road first. The quality of play needs to be there.

The XFL had a mix of young players and veterans and if you look at GP’s list of XFL players in the NFL I think maybe Josh Johnson is the only name that had many years in the NFL previously.

The leagues CANNOT OVERPAY for these veterans though. Many have made that mistake. If a veteran wants to play for whatever the league is paying everyone else and is good enough to make the team, then run them out there, IMO.