Official USFL coaches

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
herns
Head Coach

Official USFL coaches

Post by herns »

New Jersey Generals- Mike Riley
Tampa Bay Bandits- Todd Hayley
Philly Stars- Bart Andrus
Houston Gamblers- Kevin Sumlin

How do you guys feel about their first announced coaches?
MGB01
MVP

Re: Official USFL coaches

Post by MGB01 »

Well we have two former NFL head coaches, an experienced college coach, and another from TSL, UFL, and NFLE. Can't really ask for much more.

The original had George Allen and Chuck Fairbanks, now the next is to find a Jim Mora (Joe Brady?)
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

herns wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:54 pm New Jersey Generals- Mike Riley
Tampa Bay Bandits- Todd Hayley
Philly Stars- Bart Andrus
Houston Gamblers- Kevin Sumlin

How do you guys feel about their first announced coaches?
Todd Haley fits the category of "first USFL Coach to get into a heated shouting match with his players" due to his history of that.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

And the problem is? Especially when you have jackasses like AB running around (of course the hope is the USFL doesn't have that but numbers always afford that chance)

Besides, coaches aren't there to be buddies.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

MGB01 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:32 pm And the problem is? Especially when you have jackasses like AB running around (of course the hope is the USFL doesn't have that but numbers always afford that chance)

Besides, coaches aren't there to be buddies.
He would not have been my choice but he has NFL credentials.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

That reminds me, didn't we have the same thing with Matt McGloin?
4th&long
MVP

Official USFL article & more on coaches

Post by 4th&long »

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/other ... -announced

>> We’re officially 100 days away from the kickoff of the new United States Football League.

On Thursday, the USFL announced its first four head coaches on "The Herd," revealing that two former NFL head coaches, one veteran college coach and a World Bowl champion will lead franchises.<<

Of course what they didn't mention was that 1) Bart Andrus was also an XFL Team 9 coach and TSL HC.; 2) Mike Riley was an AAF HC (San Antonio) and XFL OC for Seattle. Which are positives for me but I understand FOX's reluctance to mention that.

IMO - These coaches exceeded my expectations. Todd Haley even got a positive shout out on NFL Radio - which I was surprised to hear. TH & MR are both former NFL HC's and MR was also a major CFB HC.

Bart is seasoned and competent and knows non-NFL FB well. Sumlin was a good find too, he has history in Houston.

I think USFL had a great day today.
super390
Receiver

Post by super390 »

I'm pretty happy with this group. Fewer TSL people than I thought, and I thought TSL had a pretty good group.

Sumlin is going to get more attention in Houston than the other surprisingly large # of suspects who have Houston connections (Glanville, Gilbride, Jones). Those guys will find other jobs in the USFL & XFL. This city is packed with Aggie fans.

Now marketing a team called the "Gamblers" to A&M alums might be a little awkward, but everyone expects Sumlin to gamble on the field.

Haley to the Bandits means Spurrier said no. Because how could you not ask?

Chizik to Birmingham, if it happens, would help getting all the UA and AU alums I hope the Stallions load up on.

The Southern division is like SEC Pro League. Embrace it.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

super390 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:52 pm I'm pretty happy with this group. Fewer TSL people than I thought, and I thought TSL had a pretty good group.

Sumlin is going to get more attention in Houston than the other surprisingly large # of suspects who have Houston connections (Glanville, Gilbride, Jones). Those guys will find other jobs in the USFL & XFL. This city is packed with Aggie fans.

Now marketing a team called the "Gamblers" to A&M alums might be a little awkward, but everyone expects Sumlin to gamble on the field.

Haley to the Bandits means Spurrier said no. Because how could you not ask?

Chizik to Birmingham, if it happens, would help getting all the UA and AU alums I hope the Stallions load up on.

The Southern division is like SEC Pro League. Embrace it.
Apparently Chizik just signed
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Andrus was a TSL (spring league) Head Coach. The Generals HC.

Sumlin and Haley have no AAF/XFL/TSL connections. Sumlin experience as a P5 CFB coach and Haley with NFL as HC and OC.

Riley has both college and NFL HC experience but also alt-FB with AAF and XFL (as HC and OC respectively).

So I would not say it wasn't another TSL retread exactly. And we have 4 HC's to go. Also don't count out other TSL/XFL/AAF coaches as assistants - Hal Mumme and Glanville were both in XFL as coordinators.

I tend to think Gilbride is out as NJ would have been his logical home. And Wade Phillips may not make cut either with Houston taken - though I could possibly see him in NOLA.

Overall I think USFL did better than expected having Haley and Sumlin on board is a big plus. Riley I'm not surprised at all based on his AAF/XFL positions - he clearly wants to coach spring FB. Similar with Bart Andrus (XFL/TSL).

Assuming Gene Chizik is now on board. (as a former Auburn HC - that could really help attendance)
https://www.cbs42.com/sports/source-for ... is-spring/

That leaves HC 3 positions.

I could see Hal Mumme in the mix and Wade possible with a stretch. Mike Singletary (AAF/TSL with NFL player/HC) also very possible.
But I'm going to also say Jim Caldwell for Michigan - his success as Detroit Lions HC would make a splash and at 66 he may not be looking to return to the much more time demanding NFL - he's at least a possibility.

Thoughts?

Any former Steeler/Pitt Panther coaches or players for the Maulers?