USFL Coaches and more

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
4th&long
MVP

USFL Coaches and more

Post by 4th&long »

https://xflnewsroom.com/usfl/details-em ... structure/

This is all unofficial but...

>> Uliana also had another interesting tidbit in his article, that we were unable to confirm.

Now as for who will be coaching the teams, sources also stated that due to the similarity of the two the leagues and the player and coach relationships formed, as much as half of the USFL head coaches could be from XFL.<<

Here's my take - by XFL they mean TSL as many former XFL coaches also were in the TSL:

-Jerry Glanville
- Hal Mumme
- Kevin Gilbride
- June Jones
- Ted Contrell

To name a few. They just want to associate with XFL more than TSL. Also could see Mike Singletary of AAF/TSL
herns
Head Coach

Re: USFL Coaches and more

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:18 am https://xflnewsroom.com/usfl/details-em ... structure/

>> Uliana also had another interesting tidbit in his article, that we were unable to confirm.

Now as for who will be coaching the teams, sources also stated that due to the similarity of the two the leagues and the player and coach relationships formed, as much as half of the USFL head coaches could be from XFL.<<

Here's my take - by XFL they mean TSL as many former XFL coaches also were in the TSL:

-Jerry Glanville
- Hal Mumme
- Kevin Gilbride
- June Jones
- Ted Contrell

To name a few. They just want to associate with XFL more than TSL. Also could see Mike Singletary of AAF/TSL
I think by xfl he meant xfl lol. They specified former xfl head coaches so I’m hoping for Hayes, moss, and Jones. I wonder if Stoops would do it or not especially considering he’s on fox pregame so I assume it was talked about. I’m not expecting much TSL carryover as far as head coaches go tbh. I do wish they’d give TSL guys a shot Andrus Glanville Mumme and gilbride are all coaches I’d like to see but again I don’t expect them to be in.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

herns wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:40 am
4th&long wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:18 am https://xflnewsroom.com/usfl/details-em ... structure/

-Jerry Glanville
- Hal Mumme
- Kevin Gilbride
- June Jones
- Ted Contrell

I think by xfl he meant xfl lol. They specified former xfl head coaches so I’m hoping for Hayes, moss, and Jones. I wonder if Stoops would do it or not especially considering he’s on fox pregame so I assume it was talked about. I’m not expecting much TSL carryover as far as head coaches go tbh. I do wish they’d give TSL guys a shot Andrus Glanville Mumme and gilbride are all coaches I’d like to see but again I don’t expect them to be in.
And Stoops also coached the Alamo Bowl last week, does anyone think that FOX would take Urban Meyer back? :mrgreen:

The two Jones assistants who were at Wazzu are officially free to rejoin him as of Monday, as the new staff was named. Jones, who was Nick Rolovich's coach at Hawaii, no doubt rec'd them as short-term fill-ins with an eye on this.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:40 am

-Jerry Glanville
- Hal Mumme
- Kevin Gilbride
- June Jones
- Ted Contrell

Not sure what you are saying herns, did you know: All in that list were either former HC's or Coordinators in the XFL. But also HC's in the TSL?

I'm also expecting Wade Phillips as the biggest splash. A surprise hire could be Tom Coughlin for NJ Generals (his poor wife has brain cancer - its nasty) so it likely wont happen. Gilbride would be next best in NJ.
But other former AAF, XFL, TSL, CFL coaches may step up. I'd like to see Hardy Nickerson somewhere at TB.
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

If either NY team wants to make a big splash, they should shell out for Rex Ryan. Rex was the perfect coach for the NYC media and got a standing ovation coaching his last Jets game, when everyone in the stadium knew he'd be fired less than 24 hours later. Good coach, but even better as a character. He's a guy that will bring much needed eyeballs to the television screens.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:24 pm If either NY team wants to make a big splash, they should shell out for Rex Ryan. Rex was the perfect coach for the NYC media and got a standing ovation coaching his last Jets game, when everyone in the stadium knew he'd be fired less than 24 hours later. Good coach, but even better as a character. He's a guy that will bring much needed eyeballs to the television screens.
Good point but he's getting PAID by BSPN so not likely. UNLESS he works out a deal to keep his BSPN job and work for rival Fox Sports owned USFL. I still see that as unlikely.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

4th&long wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:57 pm
laxtreme56 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:24 pm If either NY team wants to make a big splash, they should shell out for Rex Ryan. Rex was the perfect coach for the NYC media and got a standing ovation coaching his last Jets game, when everyone in the stadium knew he'd be fired less than 24 hours later. Good coach, but even better as a character. He's a guy that will bring much needed eyeballs to the television screens.
Good point but he's getting PAID by BSPN so not likely. UNLESS he works out a deal to keep his BSPN job and work for rival Fox Sports owned USFL. I still see that as unlikely.
I just saw a vid on Jerry Glanville's move from FOX to CBS back in the late 90s, not pretty.

Also, Verne Lundquist doing a regional college basketball game for CBS in 1982 while he was still with ABC. The lead game ended early so his game ended up national for the last 2:25 or so, oops. ABC simply let his contract run out and didn't renew him, seen as payback, even though he was merely part-time.

You can have announcers appear two different places (Bill Raftery, Jay Bilas, and Dick Stockton come to mind), but usually that's a shared TV deal or seasonal arrangement.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Updated list of XFL/TSL dual possibilities... Leak news has Bart as NOLA coach... see other thread

Here's my take - by XFL they mean TSL as many former XFL coaches also were in the TSL: (forgot Bart who I just added there are others too)

-Jerry Glanville
- Hal Mumme
- Kevin Gilbride
- June Jones
- Ted Contrell
- BART ANDRUS (XFL Team 9 HC and TSL General's HC in 2021)

4th&long
MVP

Potential HC - Maulers - Hines Ward?

Post by 4th&long »

https://www.outkick.com/houston-texans- ... c-vacancy/

>> Add this to the NFL free-agency Bingo card if you had it: the Houston Texans finished interviewing former Pittsburgh Steelers wideout Hines Ward for their head coaching vacancy, according to the team’s Twitter account.

The Texans abided by the Hines Ward Rule in their interview process: welcoming the longtime Steeler and current assistant coach at Florida Atlantic University to potentially replace ousted play-caller David Culley, who was let go on Thursday. Culley went 4-13 with the Texans. <<

I can't see an NFL team making Ward a HC just yet, needs more experience. What better experience than being a HC in Pitt for a new league.
MGB01
MVP

Re: Potential HC - Maulers - Hines Ward?

Post by MGB01 »

4th&long wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:50 pm https://www.outkick.com/houston-texans- ... c-vacancy/

>> Add this to the NFL free-agency Bingo card if you had it: the Houston Texans finished interviewing former Pittsburgh Steelers wideout Hines Ward for their head coaching vacancy, according to the team’s Twitter account.

The Texans abided by the Hines Ward Rule in their interview process: welcoming the longtime Steeler and current assistant coach at Florida Atlantic University to potentially replace ousted play-caller David Culley, who was let go on Thursday. Culley went 4-13 with the Texans. <<

I can't see an NFL team making Ward a HC just yet, needs more experience. What better experience than being a HC in Pitt for a new league.
Not to the level of his ex-teammate AB obviously, but HW might be soured an alt leagues from being made ambassador for the AAF--unless he got the Marshawn Lynch bag of quarters deal out of it then all bets are off.

But what college assistant has jumped to NFL head coach recently? Kiffin about 15 years ago but that's about all I know of.