Brian woods talk for scouts/ plans for the USFL

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
super390
Receiver

Re: Brian woods talk for scouts/ plans for the USFL

Post by super390 »

herns wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:20 am The USFL will grow to become a contender for players who enter the transfer portal and others who are at least three years removed from high school graduation. The USFL will not be the place for six- and seven-year veterans looking to cash a few last checks before cycling out of pro football.
So entering the transfer portal doesn't change anything legally or with amateur status, right? It just means that the player is stating he's dissatisfied with where he is enrolled and is ready to consider options which may include turning pro. It's not like the old days when a transfer had to sit out an entire year of college ball - which a new pro league would just love to exploit.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

super390 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:17 pm
herns wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:20 am The USFL will grow to become a contender for players who enter the transfer portal and others who are at least three years removed from high school graduation. The USFL will not be the place for six- and seven-year veterans looking to cash a few last checks before cycling out of pro football.
So entering the transfer portal doesn't change anything legally or with amateur status, right? It just means that the player is stating he's dissatisfied with where he is enrolled and is ready to consider options which may include turning pro. It's not like the old days when a transfer had to sit out an entire year of college ball - which a new pro league would just love to exploit.
Correct entering transfer portal is just saying you are changing schools. I’ve heard the thought behind what the USFL will offer is for the top G5 guys they’ll be advertising visibility which they wouldn’t get at the small school
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:02 pm
Correct entering transfer portal is just saying you are changing schools. I’ve heard the thought behind what the USFL will offer is for the top G5 guys they’ll be advertising visibility which they wouldn’t get at the small school
Absolutely about visibility USFL games on major network TV as only FB, vs less televised games and on smaller channels.
super390
Receiver

Post by super390 »

Well, some of those guys also need to get their families some cash right now. A big NFL contract in 2024 does you no good if you're behind on the rent in 2022.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

super390 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:48 pm

Well, some of those guys also need to get their families some cash right now. A big NFL contract in 2024 does you no good if you're behind on the rent in 2022.
That’s true, it reminds me of the Kenny Robinson situation where he had a family emergency and needed to just help out. Sadly NIL doesn’t really help the small school athletes as much
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

herns wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:55 pm
super390 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:48 pm

That’s true, it reminds me of the Kenny Robinson situation where he had a family emergency and needed to just help out. Sadly NIL doesn’t really help the small school athletes as much
Idaho all-Big Sky first team LB Tre Walker was one of the first BSC players, maybe the first, to cash in on NIL by dropping his own clothing line. I hope that's not the reason he hasn't been invited to some of these all-star games (Tyrese Dodson, who was an honorable mention, is the only one from Idaho (Cajun Bowl) that I know of). That'd be an example of NIL not helping, not hard to imagine the indirect sabotage coming from the NCAA here.