USFL on The Herd (FS1 & radio) - Scoop?

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
Tank55
MVP

Re: USFL on The Herd (FS1 & radio) - Scoop?

Post by Tank55 »

4th&long wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:30 pmWhy?
Who knows? Maybe they can't come to terms with an acceptable venue in Pittsburgh. Maybe the TV ratings stink in Tampa, or maybe the TV ratings are awesome in Orlando. Maybe the Houston stadium authority realizes that the USFL has already pre-committed to their city and decides to play hardball or maybe the Austin comes to them with a sweetheart deal they can't turn down.

Or maybe none of those things happen. My only point is that because they haven't signed any leases or hired out a local staff, they can swap markets in and out at basically zero cost.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:57 pm
4th&long wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:30 pmWhy?
Who knows? Maybe they can't come to terms with an acceptable venue in Pittsburgh. Maybe the TV ratings stink in Tampa, or maybe the TV ratings are awesome in Orlando. Maybe the Houston stadium authority realizes that the USFL has already pre-committed to their city and decides to play hardball or maybe the Austin comes to them with a sweetheart deal they can't turn down.

Or maybe none of those things happen. My only point is that because they haven't signed any leases or hired out a local staff, they can swap markets in and out at basically zero cost.
This is true though I really hope they did their homework already and that won't be the case.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

If they are lowering travel costs, it makes sense that they have zero teams in the West Coast.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:37 pm If they are lowering travel costs, it makes sense that they have zero teams in the West Coast.
Agreed.

Houston - NOLA, and NOLA- Birmingham are busing distance. As is Philly-NJ, Philly-Pitt and possibly NJ-Pitt. Detroit is outlier as is TB. But TB has alot flight due to tourism.

Also the cost of doing business in Cali is WAY HIGH, vs biz friendly states like TX, FL, AL, and PA is pretty much too
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

4th&long wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:33 pm This is true though I really hope they did their homework already and that won't be the case.
No matter how much homework they did, they're going to have a lot more information after the season is over. They'd be foolish not to stay flexible; it's one of the advantages afforded by their launch plan.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:17 pm
4th&long wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:33 pm This is true though I really hope they did their homework already and that won't be the case.
No matter how much homework they did, they're going to have a lot more information after the season is over. They'd be foolish not to stay flexible; it's one of the advantages afforded by their launch plan.
I think they may have some flexibility but that won't happen until at least season 2 is over and they get to see how the cities reaction to the teams. Regardless - this is a TV viewers driven league and they can't worry too much about attendance being better in a smaller TV market. Example SA vs Houston .83% vs 2.13% per Nielsen. Fox is doing this for TV ratings, they'll focus on larger markets, IMO.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

That's true, but the balancing act is that a hot crowd makes for a much better television presentation.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

Moose Johnston said he’s pushing for a SA team for when the league expands west. He also said the reason for the bubble is fox identifies making it to a season 2 as the way to truly set it apart
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:33 pm Moose Johnston said he’s pushing for a SA team for when the league expands west. He also said the reason for the bubble is fox identifies making it to a season 2 as the way to truly set it apart
I have no doubt SA would make a great attendance team, based on AAF Commanders. And I even like the name! But TV rules.

On setting apart. D Johnston may be correct but and that may be the PR reason. And quite frankly I agree with it. Chance of season 2 is wayyyy higher for USFL due to slow grow start in bubble. But its also because they did't have the bandwidth (time) to successfully launch in 8 markets. So it was really the only way to go... AND it mostly likely is by far the best chance for a yr 2. SO DJ is right.

Also - think how much easier it will be to sell tickets in markets with the games playing vs a new league with low profile pre initial kickoff?
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:04 pm
herns wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:33 pm Moose Johnston said he’s pushing for a SA team for when the league expands west. He also said the reason for the bubble is fox identifies making it to a season 2 as the way to truly set it apart
I have no doubt SA would make a great attendance team, based on AAF Commanders. And I even like the name! But TV rules.

On setting apart. D Johnston may be correct but and that may be the PR reason. And quite frankly I agree with it. Chance of season 2 is wayyyy higher for USFL due to slow grow start in bubble. But its also because they did't have the bandwidth (time) to successfully launch in 8 markets. So it was really the only way to go... AND it mostly likely is by far the best chance for a yr 2. SO DJ is right.

Also - think how much easier it will be to sell tickets in markets with the games playing vs a new league with low profile pre initial kickoff?
I 100% agree, I think this is the smartest approach to spring ball we’ve seen. Keep costs down and ensure viability while trying to bring in additional funding