USFL news

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
HVGuardian
Receiver

Re: USFL news

Post by HVGuardian »

More football is indeed good and I’m all in on the Generals!
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

The USFL structure may allow for stacking some teams. I would not call this wrong esp in yr 1, but some may squawk. What's more likely is that the league does its based to level the talent to make the teams and games very competitive for TV viewing.

If I'm USFL I'm hoping NJ and Birm have at least decent teams for TV and local support during the bubble.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Wouldn't be the first time an alt league did this: Billy Cannon, Herschel Walker--of course this time we're not talking top shelf college talent so stacking would be a little harder to uncover, you'd almost have to be a hardcore IFL/old Arena type to see it
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

One thing this USFL could do different is to get the top shelf talent FIRST....like out of high school. Make it a paying pro league a not ready for the NFL player can join in lieu of playing college football for nothing other than the scholarship for those who get one. Then after a couple years they may be ready for the fall. Just an idea.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Sounder wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:00 pm One thing this USFL could do different is to get the top shelf talent FIRST....like out of high school. Make it a paying pro league a not ready for the NFL player can join in lieu of playing college football for nothing other than the scholarship for those who get one. Then after a couple years they may be ready for the fall. Just an idea.
In other words, a football version of what Lavar Ball tried a couple years back: the JBA. Problem with that is as much whining about the NCAA (of course there's plenty there), how many top recruits are ever going to go for this? Even if the USFL decided to comprise their entire draft of everyone that's in the transfer portal right now, how many do think they'd get, two?

Everyone complains about it, but when an alternative sprouts up or at least tries to, oh no this is the system!

So while the blatant flip-flopping (meet my price) of the "COLLEGE SPORTS IS EXPLOITATIONNNNNNNNNNN!" crowd is good entertainment value, it's not conducive to getting this type of league going. Besides, if say the USFL or XFL did this from the get-go, how long before the media blitzes the NFL to change their draft eligibility?
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:10 pm
Sounder wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:00 pm One thing this USFL could do different is to get the top shelf talent FIRST....like out of high school. Make it a paying pro league a not ready for the NFL player can join in lieu of playing college football for nothing other than the scholarship for those who get one. Then after a couple years they may be ready for the fall. Just an idea.
In other words, a football version of what Lavar Ball tried a couple years back: the JBA. Problem with that is as much whining about the NCAA (of course there's plenty there), how many top recruits are ever going to go for this? Even if the USFL decided to comprise their entire draft of everyone that's in the transfer portal right now, how many do think they'd get, two?

Everyone complains about it, but when an alternative sprouts up or at least tries to, oh no this is the system!

So while the blatant flip-flopping (meet my price) of the "COLLEGE SPORTS IS EXPLOITATIONNNNNNNNNNN!" crowd is good entertainment value, it's not conducive to getting this type of league going. Besides, if say the USFL or XFL did this from the get-go, how long before the media blitzes the NFL to change their draft eligibility?
The USFL/XFL etc need players with same name recognition even if that is limited to "Played for UCF or Kentucky, etc...". It gives the league legitimacy. Other than saying played for NFL (or CFL) that's the first reference point.

I could see possibly 2 yr college players like the XFL was open to doing, but that's it. And that's less likely in a NIL environment, but could happen.

In 2022 TSL players from 2021, UDFA from 2021, 2020-21 NFL camp cuts, and younger former NFL/CFL players will be looking at USFL.
{ IMO its a shame that TSL (or a TFL) isn't staying around in a smaller abbreviated format. Like 2020 TSL-Fall was. It was a way for fringe players tto stay in FB figting shape at a low low cost and it filled air time. }

Looks like USFL draft pool invites are going out this week or next.

https://twitter.com/the_markcast/status ... 6718281729

>> The Markcast @the_markcast Per #USFL player department:

“Nobody is actually in a draft pool unless they’ve signed a contract with us first. We won’t begin signing players until later this week. Players may certainly be “considered” as a prospect for the USFL, but nothing more at this point.” <
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

MGB01 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:10 pmEveryone complains about it, but when an alternative sprouts up or at least tries to, oh no this is the system!
I think these are two different groups of complainers.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Tank55 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:28 pm
MGB01 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:10 pmEveryone complains about it, but when an alternative sprouts up or at least tries to, oh no this is the system!
I think these are two different groups of complainers.
They're not gonna take the lead, they'll be more subtle and have the other group do it so they can be all "wasn't me". Same with NIL.
super390
Receiver

Post by super390 »

If you're going to spend a year in a hub city, for goodness' sake at least create a draft pool loaded with players well-known in the cities they claim to represent. Especially for Birmingham, New Orleans, Houston, Tampa Bay and Michigan where there's lots of college football fans.

I've wanted for some years to see a league with teams operated by the alumni groups of the big college powers in nearby cities. UA and AU for Birmingham, LSU for New Orleans, TAMU for Houston, UF for Tampa Bay and UM for Michigan. Those alums represent a lot of $. After all these single-entity leagues, the talk about Fox selling some unknown % of its USFL teams to local investors is exciting. With the decline of the NCAA, and the death of any pretense of amateurism, why shouldn't boosters give their dominant schools an even bigger unfair advantage by hinting to recruits that, hey, if you don't make it to the NFL immediately we can give you another shot?
4th&long
MVP

ESPN news story on USFL

Post by 4th&long »

Not that its big or anything but the fact ESPN even reported it and Adam Schefter tweet it is kinda cool and unexpected.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status ... 9361860609

>> Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
Todd Haley, Kevin Sumlin, Mike Riley, Bart Andrus named head coaches in USFL:
espn.com
First USFL jobs go to Haley, Sumlin, Riley, Andrus
Former NFL head coaches Todd Haley and Mike Riley will be joined by Kevin Sumlin and Bart Andrus as head coaches in the USFL when the eight-team league kicks off April 16.
7:58 PM · Jan 6, 2022 <<