USFL news

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
4th&long
MVP

Re: USFL news

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:47 pm
Gopher123 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:14 pm
herns wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:33 am

Colin Cowherd said it’ll be NFL rules with a free tweaks. Mike Mitchell send to think Wade Phillips is coaching in Houston and I’ve heard a lot the league is going after spurrier and June Jones, it’s aimed Hal Mumme is coaching also

If what he says about the rules turns out to be true, I think the USFL will miss out on a great opportunity to be different. Also, different rules takes some people’s focus off of trying to point out that alt football players aren’t NFL players, which irritates me. In some ways, I enjoy watching lesser known players working hard, more. The AAF did mostly the NFL rules sans blitzing rules. I felt the XFL games were definitely more exciting. If the XFL brings back most of their rules package, IMO advantage XFL in any head to head competition.

Any of the coaches mentioned so far I would be happy with. I know he’s mentioned but everything I have seen about June Jones suggests maybe he is holding out for the XFL. But, it’s a win for the USFL if they can land him.
Ya the xfl rules were fun, only one I didn’t like was the 3 pt Pat felt gimmicky to me. I’m hoping the “tweaks” to nfl rules are big enough to make it unique. I’m admittedly bias wanting June Jones in the USFL because I’ve heard spurrier and Mumme are basically guaranteed so I want Jones just because those 3 competing against each other would be amazing tv
I actually liked the the 3pt conversion. I do think they should have had a std 1 pt kick though, with 2pt from the 2.

I also really liked the 1 foot in bounds rule. More scoring with out QB protection rues BS.
super390
Receiver

Post by super390 »

Gopher123 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:03 pm
I definitely agree with you on those coaches. All 3 of those names would be awesome in the same league but I just want to see them coach again even if they are in separate leagues. A lot of alt football leagues grab a lot of former/older NFL coaches. While I’m good with them it will be interesting to see if the XFL goes with younger more unknown coaches, especially if the USFL takes many of the available veteran coaches.
The rise of Kliff Kingsbury is proof that most organizations have no analytical tools when it comes to hiring head coaches. Everyone, myself included, thought that hiring him was too risky based on his losing record at Texas Tech. Yet the Cardinals' management saw something in him and let him skip way ahead in line to prove his radical system against NFL defenses, and then even discard a top QB pick to start over with the guy who fit his system.

Now if there were eight more Kliff Kingburys out there that you never heard of, and a league hired all of them and they all started scoring 40+ points a game against each other, would the coaches get any credit?
super390
Receiver

Post by super390 »

Gopher123 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:39 am
MGB01 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:50 am The Showboats were the more notable team, for Reggie White, but it's more a long-term issue. In Memphis there's no place really to play, the Liberty Bowl was a disaster during the CFL experiment, and really exposed during the Maniax and Express. With NO you can go smaller with Yulman at least.

The Breakers did have both Marcus Marek and Marcus Dupree during their one season in NOLA, so it's not like they were bereft of talent.

The Mad Dogs were a disappointment along with virtually the whole CFL southern expansion experiment, except for Baltimore. The Stallions drew well, but just like St. Louis in the XFL, they felt burned by the NFL and were out to prove them wrong. The whole let’s bring a new CFL team to Tennessee and play them during the college football season was not going to be a recipe for success IMO. Neither was trying to cram a CFL sized field in the Liberty Bowl.

The Showboats did have fairly stable ownership unlike a number of USFL teams at the time. If Memphis had an investor or ownership group now, like they had when the Mad Dogs came into existence, I feel they would have been brought back, as that’s the league’s ultimate goal. But yeah, the poor showing of the Express doesn’t really have an excuse. However, Birmingham didn’t exactly burn up the ticket office either. Oh well, I’m not trying to lobby for Memphis now, just pointing out that for me, the Showboats were a top 8 nostalgic USFL team.
If you dig down into Memphis attendance numbers all the way back to the World Football League (given how good the Southmen were), they're pretty disappointing. I think they're always seen as joined at the hip with Birmingham in league after league as "good" markets, but it's gotten less true with Birmingham and it's never really been proven with Memphis. That new Birmingham stadium and the hub site is a unique opportunity for one city to turn it around.
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

super390 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:57 pm
Gopher123 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:39 am
MGB01 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:50 am The Showboats were the more notable team, for Reggie White, but it's more a long-term issue. In Memphis there's no place really to play, the Liberty Bowl was a disaster during the CFL experiment, and really exposed during the Maniax and Express. With NO you can go smaller with Yulman at least.

The Breakers did have both Marcus Marek and Marcus Dupree during their one season in NOLA, so it's not like they were bereft of talent.

The Mad Dogs were a disappointment along with virtually the whole CFL southern expansion experiment, except for Baltimore. The Stallions drew well, but just like St. Louis in the XFL, they felt burned by the NFL and were out to prove them wrong. The whole let’s bring a new CFL team to Tennessee and play them during the college football season was not going to be a recipe for success IMO. Neither was trying to cram a CFL sized field in the Liberty Bowl.

The Showboats did have fairly stable ownership unlike a number of USFL teams at the time. If Memphis had an investor or ownership group now, like they had when the Mad Dogs came into existence, I feel they would have been brought back, as that’s the league’s ultimate goal. But yeah, the poor showing of the Express doesn’t really have an excuse. However, Birmingham didn’t exactly burn up the ticket office either. Oh well, I’m not trying to lobby for Memphis now, just pointing out that for me, the Showboats were a top 8 nostalgic USFL team.
If you dig down into Memphis attendance numbers all the way back to the World Football League (given how good the Southmen were), they're pretty disappointing. I think they're always seen as joined at the hip with Birmingham in league after league as "good" markets, but it's gotten less true with Birmingham and it's never really been proven with Memphis. That new Birmingham stadium and the hub site is a unique opportunity for one city to turn it around.

Both Birmingham and Memphis were top 5 markets in average attendance for 1985, with both averaging over 30,000 people per game. Perhaps people remember or look at figures like this and think that these are hot markets. I agree that both cities have been lukewarm at times and it will be interesting to see how Birmingham comes out and supports the Stallions.
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

super390 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:51 pm
I definitely agree with you on those coaches. All 3 of those names would be awesome in the same league but I just want to see them coach again even if they are in separate leagues. A lot of alt football leagues grab a lot of former/older NFL coaches. While I’m good with them it will be interesting to see if the XFL goes with younger more unknown coaches, especially if the USFL takes many of the available veteran coaches.
The rise of Kliff Kingsbury is proof that most organizations have no analytical tools when it comes to hiring head coaches. Everyone, myself included, thought that hiring him was too risky based on his losing record at Texas Tech. Yet the Cardinals' management saw something in him and let him skip way ahead in line to prove his radical system against NFL defenses, and then even discard a top QB pick to start over with the guy who fit his system.

Now if there were eight more Kliff Kingburys out there that you never heard of, and a league hired all of them and they all started scoring 40+ points a game against each other, would the coaches get any credit?

I would hope that they would. Assuming the defenses in the league were adequate and the rules structure wasn’t such that the defense was at a huge disadvantage ( even more so than in the current NFL). Alt football leagues should be about advancing coaches as well as players. I believe there are many younger unheard of coaches that can really impact the game. That’s why I said it would be interesting to see if the XFL decides to go with younger coaches as opposed to the veteran former NFL coaches.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Good timing, with Lincoln Riley shockingly headed to SC (yeah how's that SEC move working out now?) looks like Stoops is going to come back and coach OU in their bowl game, apparently Kingsbury to Norman is getting some play.

Of course unlike Petrino (who bailed on a 3-10 team) and Harbaugh (who was lame-ducked out of SF), this has no legs with the Cardinals the top team in the NFC and possibly won't be playing their first playoff game until January 23. But let the rumor flying begin.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

MGB01 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:15 pm

Good timing, with Lincoln Riley shockingly headed to SC (yeah how's that SEC move working out now?) looks like Stoops is going to come back and coach OU in their bowl game, apparently Kingsbury to Norman is getting some play.

Of course unlike Petrino (who bailed on a 3-10 team) and Harbaugh (who was lame-ducked out of SF), this has no legs with the Cardinals the top team in the NFC and possibly won't be playing their first playoff game until January 23. But let the rumor flying begin.
it's leverage on behalf of Kingsbury's agents to get an extension with the Cardinals, that's all it is.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

laxtreme56 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:32 pmAn initial bunch of USFL players for the January training camp were released, and honestly it looked more akin to the potential roster of an indoor/arena squad.
Apologies for the cross-forum quote. Can you or anyone else share the player list?
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

Tank55 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:49 pm
laxtreme56 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:32 pmAn initial bunch of USFL players for the January training camp were released, and honestly it looked more akin to the potential roster of an indoor/arena squad.
Apologies for the cross-forum quote. Can you or anyone else share the player list?
Sure, here it is. https://www.reddit.com/r/TheUSFL/commen ... e_invites/
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Thank you!

2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion