Mike Mitchell’s newest article

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
herns
Head Coach

Mike Mitchell’s newest article

Post by herns »

https://twitter.com/xflnewshub/status/1 ... 17988?s=21

From the article he says he’s heard Hal Mumme, Jerry Glanville, Steve Spurrier, and June Jones as the rumored coaches who’ll be in the USFL. If that’s true having Mumme spurrier and Jones all coaching in the same league is going to create some really entertaining football
Tank55
MVP

Re: Mike Mitchell’s newest article

Post by Tank55 »

Very interesting article. Can't get enough Mike Mitchell content.
FOX is earmarked to spend anywhere in the neighborhood of 100-150 million in the first few years.
Very encouraging, although spending $100M over three years is a lot different than $150 over two. So still plenty of gray area here, but great to hear they'll be taking it seriously.
The Spring League got away with murder by not only having players play for free but having some pay fees to put their bodies on the line playing multiple games. That kind of malpractice will not fly under the FOX banner, and it shouldn’t.
I sometimes have a hard time discerning what Mike's reporting and what Mike's prescribing, but this is the most important piece. I hope this comes to pass.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

Tank55 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:39 pm Very interesting article. Can't get enough Mike Mitchell content.
FOX is earmarked to spend anywhere in the neighborhood of 100-150 million in the first few years.
Very encouraging, although spending $100M over three years is a lot different than $150 over two. So still plenty of gray area here, but great to hear they'll be taking it seriously.
The Spring League got away with murder by not only having players play for free but having some pay fees to put their bodies on the line playing multiple games. That kind of malpractice will not fly under the FOX banner, and it shouldn’t.
I sometimes have a hard time discerning what Mike's reporting and what Mike's prescribing, but this is the most important piece. I hope this comes to pass.
Ya it was very clear Mike didn’t like TSL, I didn’t mind it but it’s probably because I grew up with baseball where pay to try out and pay to play is kinda normal. I wonder if the bubble savings will make the difference in spending. Like if Fox’s $150 million in 2 years will stretch further than the xfl and AAFs spending because of amount saved from the bubble.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:39 pm Very interesting article. Can't get enough Mike Mitchell content.
As concerns the $100-$150mm that is correct. It was reported by local Birmingham news first.

As far as TSL inviting most players and paying only R & B and a smaller minority % that paid to play but in 2020 that was low. Players were more than willing to sign up and play to get real experience and FB tape. I disagree with MM on his take, can't have them all! I think its very likely players are paid in USFL however. This is another reason for the hub city, ie WC ins.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

4th&long wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:43 pmAs concerns the $100-$150mm that is correct. It was reported by local Birmingham news first.
My point isn't that it's potentially incorrect but rather that it's imprecise.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:10 pm
4th&long wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:43 pmAs concerns the $100-$150mm that is correct. It was reported by local Birmingham news first.
My point isn't that it's potentially incorrect but rather that it's imprecise.
Gotchya

Mike is good reporter, he does his due diligence
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

My biggest take away from the article was Mike’s thoughts on the TSL being sweatshop football. Mike is a very fair writer so it was a little surprising to me that he came out with some strong words/thoughts against Woods/TSL. Maybe it was warranted, maybe it’s not. No question some players would play for free in the TSL to get their tape out there. It was a developmental league after all.

However, I read where there were players grumbling after the fall 2020 season about not getting what they were promised. If I understand what MM said correctly, it appears this is the case again after this past season. It’s possible certain players misunderstood what they were promised or what they were playing for but to have it happen multiple seasons is a problem. If it is Woods not following through with his end of these deals is even a bigger problem. Probably why I was skeptical of the USFL when Woods announced it was coming back and he was going to be involved. I certainly hope we don’t continue to hear of players not getting what they were promised as it’s just more black eyes for alt football leagues.

I don’t know how much direct head butting these two leagues will do but there is sure to be some. If their plans are different enough and they can coexist great. If not, just like MM said, both leagues better be all in.