USFL execs

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
herns
Head Coach

USFL execs

Post by herns »

https://twitter.com/benfischersbj/statu ... 34532?s=21

Both leagues actually seem to have strong leadership. I don’t love woods continued involvement in a major role but understand why he’s involved. It also will probably help that fox owns the league and not woods
laxtreme56
Coach

Re: USFL execs

Post by laxtreme56 »

I don't really understand why Woods is involved, when the consensus was this was a Fox solo project. Is his resume really that impressive, the last time he tried paying players (FXFL) it was an abject failure. I guess if Fox wants to run things on a shoestring budget, Woods can do the job, but I was really expecting a more marquee name in charge of football operations. I could see this being a bit like Eric Bischoff as president of WCW. Turner owned the wrestling promotion, Bischoff was mainly in charge as long as he kept P&L in acceptable figures, he was largely left alone to run the show. After the Turner-Time Warner merger, you couldn't order a stack of computer paper without higher ups approval and WCW was eventually acquired by Vinny Mac and the WWF/E.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:46 am I don't really understand why Woods is involved, when the consensus was this was a Fox solo project. Is his resume really that impressive, the last time he tried paying players (FXFL) it was an abject failure. I guess if Fox wants to run things on a shoestring budget, Woods can do the job, but I was really expecting a more marquee name in charge of football operations. I could see this being a bit like Eric Bischoff as president of WCW. Turner owned the wrestling promotion, Bischoff was mainly in charge as long as he kept P&L in acceptable figures, he was largely left alone to run the show. After the Turner-Time Warner merger, you couldn't order a stack of computer paper without higher ups approval and WCW was eventually acquired by Vinny Mac and the WWF/E.
Woods is involved because the entire idea is his. He proved to FOX that he could pull it off with TSL 2020 fall and Spring 2021. Woods laid out the entire play pre-TSL 2021 season (which of course was pre USFL announcement) on "the_markcast" interview in either late April or early May. He had his vision, executed the test and FOX bought in.
FOX needs a watchful eye on cost, all these other guys spend like drunken sailors including D Johnston, Oliver Luck, Charlie Ebersol, and their organizations.
Woods has proven he can run a small league. The others have NFL and Spring FB experience. Fox has the marketing and business side along with the financing.
As far as FXFL it was his first attempt, failed and he learned from it. TSL grow and succeeded over time.
Charlie Ebersol was a scammer but was able to get it moving due to his name, connections and BS ability. He almost pulled it off too.
VM learned alot from XFL 1.0, he did a great job on XFL 2.0 - but the one thing he missed was giving out a blank check. I think he wish he had final say on major decisions or at least someone watching better. OL gave away alot based on VM's $300mm commitment, once VM saw the ratings I think he regretted doing that.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:04 am
laxtreme56 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:46 am I don't really understand why Woods is involved, when the consensus was this was a Fox solo project. Is his resume really that impressive, the last time he tried paying players (FXFL) it was an abject failure. I guess if Fox wants to run things on a shoestring budget, Woods can do the job, but I was really expecting a more marquee name in charge of football operations. I could see this being a bit like Eric Bischoff as president of WCW. Turner owned the wrestling promotion, Bischoff was mainly in charge as long as he kept P&L in acceptable figures, he was largely left alone to run the show. After the Turner-Time Warner merger, you couldn't order a stack of computer paper without higher ups approval and WCW was eventually acquired by Vinny Mac and the WWF/E.
Woods is involved because the entire idea is his. He proved to FOX that he could pull it off with TSL 2020 fall and Spring 2021. Woods laid out the entire play pre-TSL 2021 season (which of course was pre USFL announcement) on "the_markcast" interview in either late April or early May. He had his vision, executed the test and FOX bought in.
FOX needs a watchful eye on cost, all these other guys spend like drunken sailors including D Johnston, Oliver Luck, Charlie Ebersol, and their organizations.
Woods has proven he can run a small league. The others have NFL and Spring FB experience. Fox has the marketing and business side along with the financing.
As far as FXFL it was his first attempt, failed and he learned from it. TSL grow and succeeded over time.
Charlie Ebersol was a scammer but was able to get it moving due to his name, connections and BS ability. He almost pulled it off too.
VM learned alot from XFL 1.0, he did a great job on XFL 2.0 - but the one thing he missed was giving out a blank check. I think he wish he had final say on major decisions or at least someone watching better. OL gave away alot based on VM's $300mm commitment, once VM saw the ratings I think he regretted doing that.
Ya I think the big thing fox wanted from woods was finding cheap talent, which TSL showed was what he was best at. Moose Johnston working with him is an interesting combo, maybe to do he can make sure woods doesn’t go to minor league and woods can make sure Johnston doesn’t spend like crazy. Afternoon giving it some thought I actually really like that role for woods even though at first I was iffy on it