USFL official announcement next week

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
herns
Head Coach

USFL official announcement next week

Post by herns »

https://twitter.com/dylansmithal/status ... 30272?s=21

He is one of the local reporters and said that it was announced to the senate that fox is doing their rollout of news next week
4th&long
MVP

Re: USFL official announcement next week

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:49 am https://twitter.com/dylansmithal/status ... 30272?s=21

He is one of the local reporters and said that it was announced to the senate that fox is doing their rollout of news next week
Awesome - good find!
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

I wonder what the holdup is. Friday is the international day of bad press releases (AFL 2.0 announced ceasing of operations the Friday after Thanksgiving) so I doubt we get a news conference tomorrow. Maybe next week? Things have become quiet all of a sudden.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:19 pm I wonder what the holdup is. Friday is the international day of bad press releases (AFL 2.0 announced ceasing of operations the Friday after Thanksgiving) so I doubt we get a news conference tomorrow. Maybe next week? Things have become quiet all of a sudden.
FOX/USFL probably trying to get their ducks in a row for a PR splash and don't want the news to look reactive or conflated with XFL news which BTW is generating NO buzz. Unless the governments involved are playing games.

They'll announce when they are ready to make a splash and they will likely leak info ahead of time to get buzz going.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

4th&long wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:06 am
laxtreme56 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:19 pm I wonder what the holdup is. Friday is the international day of bad press releases (AFL 2.0 announced ceasing of operations the Friday after Thanksgiving) so I doubt we get a news conference tomorrow. Maybe next week? Things have become quiet all of a sudden.
FOX/USFL probably trying to get their ducks in a row for a PR splash and don't want the news to look reactive or conflated with XFL news which BTW is generating NO buzz. Unless the governments involved are playing games.

They'll announce when they are ready to make a splash and they will likely leak info ahead of time to get buzz going.
Announcing league execs isn't meant to generate buzz, it's meant to say 'yes we're a thing and operating' at the very least.

Meanwhile, T-five months...........
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

I wouldn't say no buzz. Let's compare Google trends XFL vs. USFL. https://trends.google.com/trends/explor ... Fm%2F0hd2b
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:23 pm I wouldn't say no buzz. Let's compare Google trends XFL vs. USFL. https://trends.google.com/trends/explor ... Fm%2F0hd2b
Neither are generating much, what I said was USFL will likely leak news to get some buzz going when ready while XFL announcement has generated little. It hasn't. Looks like media taking a wait and see with XFL.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

4th&long wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:22 pm Neither are generating much, what I said was USFL will likely leak news to get some buzz going when ready while XFL announcement has generated little. It hasn't. Looks like media taking a wait and see with XFL.
The XFL(3.0) is over a year away. Establishing the executive team is the first step in that regard. There are still a LOT more steps to go before they return to the field and there is still time.

In contrast, the USFL(2.0?) is less than four months away from its target kickoff date. By this point in the process with XFL(2.0), they had all their teams, stadiums, coaches, TV deal, and players allocated. The USFL has a nonbinding and as-yet unfunded MOU with one city--Birmingham, the Pro Football Graveyard of the South. They probably have some coaches. They have no teams. They have no players. And there's rumors that Fox is unsuccessfully trying to spin off some of its content to NBC. When you have only one small market, that's not going to fly. Football fans are not going to flock to a league like that with no local connections and no distinctions in identity other than a name. "So, which team are you rooting for? The Birmingham Stallions, or the Birmingham Generals? Or maybe the Birmingham Invaders..."

This isn't The Spring League. I'm starting to think that Fox is having some buyer's remorse with Woods, and we're seeing it with the delays.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

It would have been funny if instead of locking down all these USFL trademarks, they just pursued all the old Birmingham trademarks. Could have had the Stallions, Barracudas, Thunderbolts, Fire, Vulcans, and Iron.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:46 am
4th&long wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:22 pm Neither are generating much, what I said was USFL will likely leak news to get some buzz going when ready while XFL announcement has generated little. It hasn't. Looks like media taking a wait and see with XFL.
The XFL(3.0) is over a year away. Establishing the executive team is the first step in that regard. There are still a LOT more steps to go before they return to the field and there is still time.

In contrast, the USFL(2.0?) is less than four months away from its target kickoff date. By this point in the process with XFL(2.0), they had all their teams, stadiums, coaches, TV deal, and players allocated. The USFL has a nonbinding and as-yet unfunded MOU with one city--Birmingham, the Pro Football Graveyard of the South. They probably have some coaches. They have no teams. They have no players. And there's rumors that Fox is unsuccessfully trying to spin off some of its content to NBC. When you have only one small market, that's not going to fly. Football fans are not going to flock to a league like that with no local connections and no distinctions in identity other than a name. "So, which team are you rooting for? The Birmingham Stallions, or the Birmingham Generals? Or maybe the Birmingham Invaders..."

This isn't The Spring League. I'm starting to think that Fox is having some buyer's remorse with Woods, and we're seeing it with the delays.
I wouldn’t say they have no teams, they have none announced other than the stallions. I also wouldn’t use the XFL 2.o as a guideline for when info should be out for either league (xfl 3 or usfl2). There also wasn’t really a delay with the fox announcement coming because different reporters were reporting different things. I think what gets underestimated is that fox owns the league so the nhl has a $2 billion tv deal and averages around 1 million views per game, imagine what the network is making off that if they’re paying $2 billion for the product. That’s how this league plans on making money instead of a tv deal generating money the moneys generated by just being on tv.