USFL Birmingham

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
herns
Head Coach

USFL Birmingham

Post by herns »

Interesting quote from the article to the people that think the entire thing was kinda randomly thrown together, sounds like it’s been in the works for a long time.

“The National Spring Football League, owners of the USFL, proposed months ago to bring all eight of the league’s teams--including the Birmingham Stallions of the USFL that lasted three seasons in the 1980s--to Birmingham in a “bubble” format, playing 43 games (40 regular-season, two playoff and a championship game) at Protective Stadium and Legion Field at no cost. The Birmingham Jefferson County Civic Center estimates expenses to host the season at $3,666.960.”
4th&long
MVP

Re: USFL Birmingham

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:05 pm Interesting quote from the article to the people that think the entire thing was kinda randomly thrown together, sounds like it’s been in the works for a long time.

“The National Spring Football League, owners of the USFL, proposed months ago to bring all eight of the league’s teams--including the Birmingham Stallions of the USFL that lasted three seasons in the 1980s--to Birmingham in a “bubble” format, playing 43 games (40 regular-season, two playoff and a championship game) at Protective Stadium and Legion Field at no cost. The Birmingham Jefferson County Civic Center estimates expenses to host the season at $3,666.960.”
They said since June I believe.
4th&long
MVP

USFL Birmingham - News

Post by 4th&long »

https://www.al.com/news/2022/04/now-tha ... neman.html

>> “Trying to make sure I don’t forget anybody,” he said. “The hard hat mentality we had. The brotherhood we had. Just seeing those guys go out there on Sunday brings me happiness. It gives us that sense of hope that I can have a chance, that I can be in that situation.”

Hope, frankly, is the only word needed to express the sentiments of so many right now. So many who’ve invested hope—and tons of cash—in bringing eight teams to one city for 10 weeks.

Hope that football fans, no matter where they live, are insatiable. And just can’t get enough.

Hope that Birminghamians will come, certainly when the Stallions compete. And maybe even when other teams play.

Hope that spring football will work, however that’s defined. That spring football in Birmingham will work. Finally.
USFL Week One - Tampa Bay Bandits v Pittsburgh Maulers

Nothing about Week One should dampen those hopes. The football was solid. Fans dang-near-filled Protective for the Stallions and rooted like they cared. And after the day-long threat of horrid weather, the skies were reasonably kind; indeed, the sun emerged a few minutes before kickoff.
J’Mar Smith is now the Stallions starter. Though even after Week 1′s big-stage finish, he’s not asked his agent if any NFL teams have yet called. “I’m where my feet are at,” he told me. “I’m here with the Birmingham Stallions. Anything outside of that mindset, if it happens, it happens.”

One only hopes. Like everyone else.<<
4th&long
MVP

USFL Birmingham NASCAR night

Post by 4th&long »

https://www.rocketcitynow.com/article/s ... 73d8290f51

>> USFL celebrates Talladega-inspired NASCAR Night on Saturday at Protective Stadium
NASCAR Cup Series drivers Tyler Reddick and Ty Dillon will be on hand Saturday night. <<

Trying to get peeps for Sat night
GDAWG
MVP

Re: USFL Birmingham - News

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:17 pm https://www.al.com/news/2022/04/now-tha ... neman.html

>> “Trying to make sure I don’t forget anybody,” he said. “The hard hat mentality we had. The brotherhood we had. Just seeing those guys go out there on Sunday brings me happiness. It gives us that sense of hope that I can have a chance, that I can be in that situation.”

Hope, frankly, is the only word needed to express the sentiments of so many right now. So many who’ve invested hope—and tons of cash—in bringing eight teams to one city for 10 weeks.

Hope that football fans, no matter where they live, are insatiable. And just can’t get enough.

Hope that Birminghamians will come, certainly when the Stallions compete. And maybe even when other teams play.

Hope that spring football will work, however that’s defined. That spring football in Birmingham will work. Finally.
USFL Week One - Tampa Bay Bandits v Pittsburgh Maulers

Nothing about Week One should dampen those hopes. The football was solid. Fans dang-near-filled Protective for the Stallions and rooted like they cared. And after the day-long threat of horrid weather, the skies were reasonably kind; indeed, the sun emerged a few minutes before kickoff.
J’Mar Smith is now the Stallions starter. Though even after Week 1′s big-stage finish, he’s not asked his agent if any NFL teams have yet called. “I’m where my feet are at,” he told me. “I’m here with the Birmingham Stallions. Anything outside of that mindset, if it happens, it happens.”

One only hopes. Like everyone else.<<
I compare the football (at least some of the games) to FBS G5 level.
4th&long
MVP

BJCC doubles workforce for USFL games

Post by 4th&long »

https://www.wbrc.com/2022/04/29/bjcc-do ... xperience/

>> BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WBRC) - The BJCC has been working diligently to better the fan experience inside Protective Stadium since the USFL season kicked off. Ten days ago, we told you about some of their initial challenges. A poor parking situation, long lines to get in, and crazy concession wait times - but have the issues been addressed?

BJCC leaders believe many of the problems have been remedied. WBRC spoke with a BJCC board member on Wednesday and the Executive Director Tad Snider on Thursday. Both confirmed the BJCC has significantly increased the number of workers at Protective for the USFL games.

In fact, Snider says the BJCC has doubled their workforce from week one to fix the issues. They are also scheduling more workers for Stallions games in particular, as those have the best turnout by far.

Snider stresses that the USFL season presents a number of unique challenges. For example, most events at Protective Stadium don’t do a lot of same-day ticket sales. Last week’s stallions game had over 5,000 day-of purchases - not something BJCC workers are used to dealing with.

WBRC spoke with a USFL official, and they were pleased with the improvements, but they hope to see more in the weeks ahead. This weekend will be another large test, as the Breakers battle Birmingham in a match of the unbeatens, where thousands are expected to attend. <<
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Hmmm, can't imagine the Legion (who moved to Protective this year and are playing their matches midweek while the USFL has shop set up) have many advance sales. More PPP (move a few Ps around)?
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:52 am Hmmm, can't imagine the Legion (who moved to Protective this year and are playing their matches midweek while the USFL has shop set up) have many advance sales. More PPP (move a few Ps around)?
Wow - I guess the non-Stallions USFL attendance has been better than we thought because the same crowd for a "legion" game was announced as 4207! The Stallions games must have been 40k then. :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.uslchampionship.com/birming ... ic-2267670

Back on topic, hopefully the BJCC gov gets their act together at the stadium for this weeks game