CBS42: BJCC looking for remaining $1.6 mm to get USFL to Birmingham

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
4th&long
MVP

CBS42: BJCC looking for remaining $1.6 mm to get USFL to Birmingham

Post by 4th&long »

If Birmingham F##ks this up because they can't find a paltry $1.6mm they are either grossly incompetent or corrupt as the day is long. Stop F-ing around and get it done.

https://www.cbs42.com/news/bjcc-looking ... irmingham/

>> BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) — As Birmingham gets ready to host the United States Football League, one part of the $3.6 million needed to bring them to the Magic City has come.

On Thursday, the board for the Greater Birmingham Convention and Visitors Bureau board made a financial commitment of up to $2 million to support the Fox Sports-owned USFL in Birmingham.

“It was passed in our board meeting. There was some consternation because that’s a big ask from the convention board but nevertheless it was a risk most members choose to take,” said Joe Knight, District 4 member of the Jefferson County Commission.
Birmingham Parks and Rec Board votes to put Legion Field in play for the USFL

However, the BJCC is still in need of $1.6 million to cover the cost of the 43-game day staffing, equipment, and field labor during the 2022 spring season. <<
laxtreme56
Coach

Re: CBS42: BJCC looking for remaining $1.6 mm to get USFL to Birmingham

Post by laxtreme56 »

Why can't the multi billion dollar corporation, Fox Sports, get that paltry 1.6 million together. Birmingham is a pro football graveyard with the AAF leaving tens of thousands of dollars in unpaid bills to the city. If I were BIrmingham I'd have Fox front the entire first season, then if the finances and figures are significant let Birmingham pay their fair share going forward. Remember, St. Louis charged the Battlehawks 4x the amount of the Rams last lease. Let these upstart leagues prove they'll last more than a year or 2 then chip in.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:46 pm Why can't the multi billion dollar corporation, Fox Sports, get that paltry 1.6 million together. Birmingham is a pro football graveyard with the AAF leaving tens of thousands of dollars in unpaid bills to the city. If I were BIrmingham I'd have Fox front the entire first season, then if the finances and figures are significant let Birmingham pay their fair share going forward. Remember, St. Louis charged the Battlehawks 4x the amount of the Rams last lease. Let these upstart leagues prove they'll last more than a year or 2 then chip in.
Birmingham was begging for team now they are pulling this, come on. Fox owes them nothing, this is small change and Birmingham will look stupid if they lose this opportunity over small amount.

If I were Fox then - I would go elsewhere. If Birmingsham wants to play with the big boys don't balk over $1.6mm when the league is putting a team there permanently and bringing $15mm-$21mm in business AND advertising the city. Put your big boy pants on.
If Buffalo can get a $1b stadium out of NY this is pathetic. My town spends money on dog parks and other BS - this is a no brainer.

I do think they'll do it but I'm not 100% sure. And Fox isn't going to screw around forever.
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

Well let's see if Fox has a plan B in store. If they were going BIrmingham or bust with the literal hundreds of stadiums that sit empty from Februay-August, then that's really an oversight by them. Play in Columbus, they had great ratings for the XFL. Houston, Indy, Philadelphia, etc. why put all your chips in on a minor league sports graveyard?
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:26 am Well let's see if Fox has a plan B in store. If they were going BIrmingham or bust with the literal hundreds of stadiums that sit empty from Februay-August, then that's really an oversight by them. Play in Columbus, they had great ratings for the XFL. Houston, Indy, Philadelphia, etc. why put all your chips in on a minor league sports graveyard?
Birmingham officials have stated that Fox wants a decision quickly because they need to know if they have to move to plan B which the official mentioning Texas. Birmingham is playing with fire over government pocket chg and if they get burned these officials will have many PO'd.

Its either gross incompetence or someone is looking for a kick back. They need to do the right thing for Birmingham and its residents. Get yer done!
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

https://xflnewshub.com/alt-football/bjc ... irmingham/

>> According to CBS 42, it will likely come from the public sector.

“I think the remainder of the funding will come primarily from the public sector and maybe a little from the private sector, so it’s a combination of both with most of it being led by the public sector,” said Gene Hallman, president, and CEO of the Bruno Event Team.

“There are some incentives that come with the investment. Fox Sports estimates the overall economic impact of the league would be around $21 million for Birmingham.”

WBCR 6 has this to say about the USFL deal.

“Birmingham will be offered for free two 30 second commercials during the games to promote the area. So far, Jefferson County and Birmingham have not committed any funding to the project. “

This could be a make-or-break week for the USFL in Birmingham. Stay tuned to XFL News Hub for this ongoing story. <<

Could not agree more with Perry. If the political clowns of Birmingham screw this up, they'll never get an USFL team, won't get the economic impact nor the massive exposure a city like Birm. is desperate to receive. Despite that insular government is involved and all the usual BS that goes with it worse in a slow moving city not used to this type response time. Time to man up and make this win-win-win scenario happen.
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

Birmingham may be a first class city, I don't know as I have never been there. That said, it sure sounds like a second or third class city/county government!
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:43 am https://xflnewshub.com/alt-football/bjc ... irmingham/

“I think the remainder of the funding will come primarily from the public sector and maybe a little from the private sector, so it’s a combination of both with most of it being led by the public sector,” said Gene Hallman, president, and CEO of the Bruno Event Team.

“There are some incentives that come with the investment. Fox Sports estimates the overall economic impact of the league would be around $21 million for Birmingham.”

“Birmingham will be offered for free two 30 second commercials during the games to promote the area. So far, Jefferson County and Birmingham have not committed any funding to the project. “

This could be a make-or-break week for the USFL in Birmingham. Stay tuned to XFL News Hub for this ongoing story. <<

Could not agree more with Perry. If the political clowns of Birmingham screw this up, they'll never get an USFL team, won't get the economic impact nor the massive exposure a city like Birm. is desperate to receive. Despite that insular government is involved and all the usual BS that goes with it worse in a slow moving city not used to this type response time. Time to man up and make this win-win-win scenario happen.
Ya I’d imagine that you’re right this week may be the hard deadline before fox decides to move on to Austin or San Antonio
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:46 am
4th&long wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:43 am https://xflnewshub.com/alt-football/bjc ... irmingham/

Ya I’d imagine that you’re right this week may be the hard deadline before fox decides to move on to Austin or San Antonio
I am preparing myself for news leaks from or about other cities and other cities "offering" to host the USFL.