USFL news on "the_markcast"

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
laxtreme56
Coach

Re: USFL news on "the_markcast"

Post by laxtreme56 »

herns wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:00 pm
4th&long wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:40 pm
herns wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:20 pm

It was a typo I missed. It was supposed to say use the money to pay players and coaches well
Oh ok.

But I'm not worried about that, more worried about the league staying solvent and viable.

The USFL may follow the TSL model (early years at least) or hybrid model of no pay and just cover their expenses or they may pay them. TSL was able to get players (unpaid) because it allowed them to stay in FB shape and get on an NFL roster of somekind or CFL. They saw it as beneficial to their career, much like an upaid intern at a news company.Now that was only a 7-9 week commitment. This will be longer.
Based on the TSL's ability to land players jobs they may try a TSL model. But they have more control over the players as employees. And of course paying them and paying them more allows them to get better talent.

I'm fine with what ever comp plan they go with as long as the play is good.

Coaches will be paid, they were in TSL as well. They won't get quality coaches without paying.
I really don’t want to see the TSL model. If they do the TSL model of not paying they’ll get steamrolled by the xfl in 2023. Plus then they’d have to compete with HUB football who has a great reputation and will start doing games in spring 2022. I think to have a chance they need to pay players. I’m fine with the bubble city and slowly go out of the bubbles though I actually think it’s smart
I agree with this. If you're going to call it professional football, at least pay them like professionals. A 10-12 week season with 4-6 weeks of training camp and you're expecting a group on 23-33 year old men to work for free? If so continue to see the uneven, sloppy play we saw in the TSL. Let's be real, their level was not on par with the AAF and nowhere near the XFL. I watched a late season matchup which saw 2 muffed PAT attempts. Not misses by the kicker, but a fumbled exchange from center to holder, I'd expect that in JV High School ball, not at the pro level. If you can't afford to pay players at least $1k a week (heck, even the FCF was paying its players $800+) then don't call it pro ball. Remember, at best maybe 1% of these guys will get a sniff at an NFL roster and may be 2-3 will crack a 52 man squad.

As for the XFL, I'd expect them to look for revenue elsewhere. Streaming options, continuing their conversations with the CFL, which even Comissioner Ambroise mentioned is on hold, but not ceasing. The XFL is looking to create a year round entertainment option. Expect reality shows like hard knocks, an influx of apps,video games, and gambling/fantasy interface, and putting sponsors on every square inch of field and uniform. It's how the MLS can make good money, even with TV numbers in the 250-450k range. Some of their uniform sponsorships cover a teams yearly payroll, I think that is the direction the XFL may ultimately move in, the NBA and NHL are on that route as well. Might as well join the big boys in that regard.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

laxtreme56 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:14 pm

Oh ok.

But I'm not worried about that, more worried about the league staying solvent and viable.

The USFL may follow the TSL model (early years at least) or hybrid model of no pay and just cover their expenses or they may pay them. TSL was able to get players (unpaid) because it allowed them to stay in FB shape and get on an NFL roster of somekind or CFL. They saw it as beneficial to their career, much like an upaid intern at a news company.Now that was only a 7-9 week commitment. This will be longer.
Based on the TSL's ability to land players jobs they may try a TSL model. But they have more control over the players as employees. And of course paying them and paying them more allows them to get better talent.

Coaches will be paid, they were in TSL as well. They won't get quality coaches without paying.
I really don’t want to see the TSL model. If they do the TSL model of not paying they’ll get steamrolled by the xfl in 2023. Plus then they’d have to compete with HUB football who has a great reputation and will start doing games in spring 2022. I think to have a chance they need to pay players. I’m fine with the bubble city and slowly go out of the bubbles though I actually think it’s smart
I agree with this. If you're going to call it professional football, at least pay them like professionals. A 10-12 week season with 4-6 weeks of training camp and you're expecting a group on 23-33 year old men to work for free? If so continue to see the uneven, sloppy play we saw in the TSL. Let's be real, their level was not on par with the AAF and nowhere near the XFL. I watched a late season matchup which saw 2 muffed PAT attempts. Not misses by the kicker, but a fumbled exchange from center to holder, I'd expect that in JV High School ball, not at the pro level. If you can't afford to pay players at least $1k a week (heck, even the FCF was paying its players $800+) then don't call it pro ball. Remember, at best maybe 1% of these guys will get a sniff at an NFL roster and may be 2-3 will crack a 52 man squad.

As for the XFL, I'd expect them to look for revenue elsewhere. Streaming options, continuing their conversations with the CFL, which even Comissioner Ambroise mentioned is on hold, but not ceasing. The XFL is looking to create a year round entertainment option. Expect reality shows like hard knocks, an influx of apps,video games, and gambling/fantasy interface, and putting sponsors on every square inch of field and uniform. It's how the MLS can make good money, even with TV numbers in the 250-450k range. Some of their uniform sponsorships cover a teams yearly payroll, I think that is the direction the XFL may ultimately move in, the NBA and NHL are on that route as well. Might as well join the big boys in that regard.
Agreed, can’t call it pro if you’re not paying the players. As for TSL I thought the play quality was pretty equal to aaf, aaf was really carried by 2 teams and wasn’t that competitive. But with fox being the owners you have to pay the players or the reputation of the USFL will be terrible because we all know they have the money
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:35 pm

Agreed, can’t call it pro if you’re not paying the players. As for TSL I thought the play quality was pretty equal to aaf, aaf was really carried by 2 teams and wasn’t that competitive. But with fox being the owners you have to pay the players or the reputation of the USFL will be terrible because we all know they have the money
We all have diff opinions on it. I really don't care what the call it ie pro or something else. But I do care about the play quality. TSL had pretty good quality a tad below AAF which was a tad below XFL. But those also had longer camps and much bigger rosters. But as I stated above and similar to you and LAeX that TSL was only 7-9 weeks commitment and this is likely 13-15 - going to be harder to go no pay.

I do not think the reputation of the league will be terrible if they don't pay or pay low, it will be determined on the field - imo.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Oh ok.

Concerning the TSL - If the players found it of no value - they wouldn't play. Think of it that way. Many players have gotten signed in NFL , try outs, PS or went to the CFL.(see that thread in TSL forum). Look at it from the players position.