USFL news on "the_markcast"

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
4th&long
MVP

Re: USFL news on "the_markcast"

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:05 am
4th&long wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:29 am
herns wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:02 am

I liked that he said they’ll almost give tickets away to make it look good tv wise. I like their idea of the 3 season process. As for NBC being the weakest eating wise it may be right but I will say I prefer their NFL broadcast to ESPN’s, I know that isn’t what was being measured just my opinion
LOL - I like the new ESPN crew (they came from XFL!) not a fan at all of Chris Colonsworth - but to each his own.

Back on USFL.... The other Big factor is Gambling. And FOX has a stake in their name sake FOX BET. You can bet this is also a driving factor. I think NBC is partnered with PointsBet too. As we all know FB is bet the most of sports... And I'm sure gambling and FOX-BET figure heavy in the FOX decision on USFL too.
Ya I think with gambling plus TV fox is expecting to make a ton of money. Let’s just hope they use the money to issue players and coaches well
What issue?
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:56 pm
4th&long wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:29 am

LOL - I like the new ESPN crew (they came from XFL!) not a fan at all of Chris Colonsworth - but to each his own.

Back on USFL.... The other Big factor is Gambling. And FOX has a stake in their name sake FOX BET. You can bet this is also a driving factor. I think NBC is partnered with PointsBet too. As we all know FB is bet the most of sports... And I'm sure gambling and FOX-BET figure heavy in the FOX decision on USFL too.
Ya I think with gambling plus TV fox is expecting to make a ton of money. Let’s just hope they use the money to issue players and coaches well
What issue?
It was a typo I missed. It was supposed to say use the money to pay players and coaches well
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:20 pm

What issue?
It was a typo I missed. It was supposed to say use the money to pay players and coaches well
Oh ok.

But I'm not worried about that, more worried about the league staying solvent and viable.

The USFL may follow the TSL model (early years at least) or hybrid model of no pay and just cover their expenses or they may pay them. TSL was able to get players (unpaid) because it allowed them to stay in FB shape and get on an NFL roster of somekind or CFL. They saw it as beneficial to their career, much like an upaid intern at a news company.Now that was only a 7-9 week commitment. This will be longer.
Based on the TSL's ability to land players jobs they may try a TSL model. But they have more control over the players as employees. And of course paying them and paying them more allows them to get better talent.

I'm fine with what ever comp plan they go with as long as the play is good.

Coaches will be paid, they were in TSL as well. They won't get quality coaches without paying.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:40 pm

What issue?
Oh ok.

But I'm not worried about that, more worried about the league staying solvent and viable.

The USFL may follow the TSL model (early years at least) or hybrid model of no pay and just cover their expenses or they may pay them. TSL was able to get players (unpaid) because it allowed them to stay in FB shape and get on an NFL roster of somekind or CFL. They saw it as beneficial to their career, much like an upaid intern at a news company.Now that was only a 7-9 week commitment. This will be longer.
Based on the TSL's ability to land players jobs they may try a TSL model. But they have more control over the players as employees. And of course paying them and paying them more allows them to get better talent.

Coaches will be paid, they were in TSL as well. They won't get quality coaches without paying.
I really don’t want to see the TSL model. If they do the TSL model of not paying they’ll get steamrolled by the xfl in 2023. Plus then they’d have to compete with HUB football who has a great reputation and will start doing games in spring 2022. I think to have a chance they need to pay players. I’m fine with the bubble city and slowly go out of the bubbles though I actually think it’s smart
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:00 pm

Oh ok.

I really don’t want to see the TSL model. If they do the TSL model of not paying they’ll get steamrolled by the xfl in 2023. Plus then they’d have to compete with HUB football who has a great reputation and will start doing games in spring 2022. I think to have a chance they need to pay players. I’m fine with the bubble city and slowly go out of the bubbles though I actually think it’s smart
So is HUB the new TSL? Haven't heard of them playing games in 2022, but I'm not concerned about that competing with televised USFL. If anything I'll miss those TSL games which would have been good Feb-March pre USFL.

And Right now the XFL 2023 is vaporware, a paper tiger. Until something says otherwise I don't see them moving forward. If they are to launch in 2/2023 that's 15 months away and nothing is happening. That along with NBC signing with USFL implies strongly of a no go in 2023. Also I stated before having another AAF-XFL competition is not going to help Spring FB, though if XFL does step up I'm of course open to it.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:24 pm

Oh ok.

So is HUB the new TSL? Haven't heard of them playing games in 2022, but I'm not concerned about that competing with televised USFL. If anything I'll miss those TSL games which would have been good Feb-March pre USFL.

And Right now the XFL 2023 is vaporware, a paper tiger. Until something says otherwise I don't see them moving forward. If they are to launch in 2/2023 that's 15 months away and nothing is happening. That along with NBC signing with USFL implies strongly of a no go in 2023. Also I stated before having another AAF-XFL competition is not going to help Spring FB, though if XFL does step up I'm of course open to it.
The xfl is an unknown but it’ll be competition as long as it goes forward. USFL definitely has the step up in tv contracts and being first to market. The HUB thing is on their website they’re calling it the game, idk if it’s televised or not though
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Oh ok.

HUB Football is more of a combine for free agents.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

GDAWG wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:48 pm

Ya I know, they’re gonna start doing games though also
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

herns wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:01 pm

And it will probably replace the Spring League.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

GDAWG wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:15 pm
herns wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:01 pm

And it will probably replace the Spring League.
Ya that sounds like the goal except they want high school and college guys, since there’s no pay the players can go back to the ncaa in the fall