USFL news on "the_markcast"

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
4th&long
MVP

USFL news on "the_markcast"

Post by 4th&long »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiisaWfoMIc

check out "the_markcast" - USFL news is delineated in the podcast

On FOX, NBC, USA, FS1 and peacock
herns
Head Coach

Re: USFL news on "the_markcast"

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:46 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiisaWfoMIc

Idk how to feel about them being on Peacock. I like their business model though. I think at worst this is a sustainable business model
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:52 pm
4th&long wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:46 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiisaWfoMIc

Idk how to feel about them being on Peacock. I like their business model though. I think at worst this is a sustainable business model
It totally makes sense though, they (NBC) NEEDS original content on peacock and especially live content to drive interest there. Its free, I can deal with that.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:38 pm

It totally makes sense though, they (NBC) NEEDS original content on peacock and especially live content to drive interest there. Its free, I can deal with that.
Agreed, I’m glad it’s only a small number on peacock though and the rest in nbcs side are the main channel and usa
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Peacock had the Toledo/Notre Dame game this year, a test run?
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:20 pm

Peacock had the Toledo/Notre Dame game this year, a test run?
I don't think so, more than likely just trying to give people a reason to watch try peacock.

Like saying before - streaming is only ADDING more viewing time to fill. And NBC needs to add Unique programming (ie not on NBC proper) to peacock to get people to try it (its free with commercials anyway for now
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Couple things from the interview:

Also discussed on here was the 3 year plan by FOX/USFL to grow teams out of Birmingham into other cities.

The AL.com reporter (or the AL.com report) interviewed stated that the plan was for year 2 to have 3/4 other teams + Birmingham play in Birmingham in 2023 before those teams migrate to their home cities. So Birmingham has alot to gain on this deal and they appear to be moving slow though getting there.

The other thing was the TV broadcasters. We know FOX but we once again hear NBC and their owned cable channel USA Network. But also peacock the NBC streaming service. Will peacock be used exclusively for its games is TBD.

The numbers he read off were games on: 20-25 FOX/NBC, 6 USA, 8 FS1, 4 Peacock (All approx). Now with NBC on board this likely means they are paying something - likely not much but they apparently want in without being the investor.

He also stressed (as some of us on here) that this is a TV league 1st 2nd and 3rd. Get enough fans to make it a good show.

The fact this is 3 season process to get to all 8 cities (at least at this point) put in place. The cost will ramp up as the league rolls that out.

The fact NBC is on board is HUGE news and a great sign IMO. It adds major credibility to the league. With their PFT web presence they can promote on the web as well. NBC is the weakest of the big 4 broadcasters in sports programing, only the NFL and ND CFB puts them above Warner. NBC like Fox NEEDS like sports programming. They will support this and may even have a buy in right. With NBC pulling the plug on NBCSN they appear to be trying to gear USA Network more like TNT/TBS and that requires more sports. They need that to justify carriage fees for the network from cable providers. USFL fits the bill.

To me this is a multiyear project and we are just leading into year 1. USFL will be more polished and more professional than the TSL of 2021. Viewership numbers will be higher than TSL but how much is TBD. The major difference between TSL and even XFL to USFL is that Fox is going to heavily promote it. That's the messaging to Birminham and I believe it. They own it and want it to succeed.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:50 am Couple things from the interview:

Also discussed on here was the 3 year plan by FOX/USFL to grow teams out of Birmingham into other cities.

The AL.com reporter (or the AL.com report) interviewed stated that the plan was for year 2 to have 3/4 other teams + Birmingham play in Birmingham in 2023 before those teams migrate to their home cities. So Birmingham has alot to gain on this deal and they appear to be moving slow though getting there.

The other thing was the TV broadcasters. We know FOX but we once again hear NBC and their owned cable channel USA Network. But also peacock the NBC streaming service. Will peacock be used exclusively for its games is TBD.

The numbers he read off were games on: 20-25 FOX/NBC, 6 USA, 8 FS1, 4 Peacock (All approx). Now with NBC on board this likely means they are paying something - likely not much but they apparently want in without being the investor.

He also stressed (as some of us on here) that this is a TV league 1st 2nd and 3rd. Get enough fans to make it a good show.

The fact this is 3 season process to get to all 8 cities (at least at this point) put in place. The cost will ramp up as the league rolls that out.

The fact NBC is on board is HUGE news and a great sign IMO. It adds major credibility to the league. With their PFT web presence they can promote on the web as well. NBC is the weakest of the big 4 broadcasters in sports programing, only the NFL and ND CFB puts them above Warner. NBC like Fox NEEDS like sports programming. They will support this and may even have a buy in right. With NBC pulling the plug on NBCSN they appear to be trying to gear USA Network more like TNT/TBS and that requires more sports. They need that to justify carriage fees for the network from cable providers. USFL fits the bill.

To me this is a multiyear project and we are just leading into year 1. USFL will be more polished and more professional than the TSL of 2021. Viewership numbers will be higher than TSL but how much is TBD. The major difference between TSL and even XFL to USFL is that Fox is going to heavily promote it. That's the messaging to Birminham and I believe it. They own it and want it to succeed.
I liked that he said they’ll almost give tickets away to make it look good tv wise. I like their idea of the 3 season process. As for NBC being the weakest eating wise it may be right but I will say I prefer their NFL broadcast to ESPN’s, I know that isn’t what was being measured just my opinion
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:02 am

I liked that he said they’ll almost give tickets away to make it look good tv wise. I like their idea of the 3 season process. As for NBC being the weakest eating wise it may be right but I will say I prefer their NFL broadcast to ESPN’s, I know that isn’t what was being measured just my opinion
LOL - I like the new ESPN crew (they came from XFL!) not a fan at all of Chris Colonsworth - but to each his own.

Back on USFL.... The other Big factor is Gambling. And FOX has a stake in their name sake FOX BET. You can bet this is also a driving factor. I think NBC is partnered with PointsBet too. As we all know FB is bet the most of sports... And I'm sure gambling and FOX-BET figure heavy in the FOX decision on USFL too.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:29 am
herns wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:02 am

LOL - I like the new ESPN crew (they came from XFL!) not a fan at all of Chris Colonsworth - but to each his own.

Back on USFL.... The other Big factor is Gambling. And FOX has a stake in their name sake FOX BET. You can bet this is also a driving factor. I think NBC is partnered with PointsBet too. As we all know FB is bet the most of sports... And I'm sure gambling and FOX-BET figure heavy in the FOX decision on USFL too.
Ya I think with gambling plus TV fox is expecting to make a ton of money. Let’s just hope they use the money to issue players and coaches well