4/8 USFL teams announced?

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
herns
Head Coach

4/8 USFL teams announced?

Post by herns »

On their website they’ve added merch for the Birmingham stallions, Pittsburg maulers, Philadelphia stars, and New Orleans breakers. They’ve also filed for merch patents on the St. Louis invaders
4th&long
MVP

Re: 4/8 USFL teams announced?

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:29 pm On their website they’ve added merch for the Birmingham stallions, Pittsburg maulers, Philadelphia stars, and New Orleans breakers. They’ve also filed for merch patents on the St. Louis invaders
Looks like a "teaser" - a way to create low level buzz prior to more news leaks followed by the BIG Announcement!
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:03 pm
herns wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:29 pm On their website they’ve added merch for the Birmingham stallions, Pittsburg maulers, Philadelphia stars, and New Orleans breakers. They’ve also filed for merch patents on the St. Louis invaders
Looks like a "teaser" - a way to create low level buzz prior to more news leaks followed by the BIG Announcement!
What do you think those being the teams, kinda threw me off tbh
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:00 pm
We don't know that, it could be a tease to generate interest on what teams there may be. I would be surprised if a NY/NJ team weren't in the mix and philly is large top 5 TV market too.

NY Nielsen market alone is 6.5% of the country, Philly roughly 2.5% and Pitt 1%. New Orleans is a small market(about .55%) and Birmingham .6%.

The one thing Pennsylvania has over NY/NJ is its move like a Red state when it comes to regs, cost and taxes so I could see Philly get a team. ( The MLS Philly stadium is actually not in the city limits - philly is a bad city for biz).

I do think Birmingham get a team as the Southern Team in a city that should get good attendance for the USFL and as a bone to get the hub contract in 2022. New Orleans has the benefit of no MLB or NHL team, but its a smaller TV market.

I just think they are doing this to start low level buzz... we'll see where it goes. They may put up 15 teams.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:59 pm

We don't know that, it could be a tease to generate interest on what teams there may be. I would be surprised if a NY/NJ team weren't in the mix and philly is large top 5 TV market too.

NY Nielsen market alone is 6.5% of the country, Philly roughly 2.5% and Pitt 1%. New Orleans is a small market(about .55%) and Birmingham .6%.

The one thing Pennsylvania has over NY/NJ is its move like a Red state when it comes to regs, cost and taxes so I could see Philly get a team. ( The MLS Philly stadium is actually not in the city limits - philly is a bad city for biz).

I do think Birmingham get a team as the Southern Team in a city that should get good attendance for the USFL and as a bone to get the hub contract in 2022. New Orleans has the benefit of no MLB or NHL team, but its a smaller TV market.

I just think they are doing this to start low level buzz... we'll see where it goes. They may put up 15 teams.
Your statistics just made it make a whole lot of sense for me if those are the teams. I hope they go with 8 teams like the proposed plan to Birmingham called for but cap out at 10 for season 1
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:03 am

Your statistics just made it make a whole lot of sense for me if those are the teams. I hope they go with 8 teams like the proposed plan to Birmingham called for but cap out at 10 for season 1
I only meant they may add 15 teams to the USFL merchanise site to generate buzz on which cities make the 8 city cut.

There will only be 8 team in 2022 - that's been stated in multiple reports the past week and meshes with the June original announcement.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:24 am

I only meant they may add 15 teams to the USFL merchanise site to generate buzz on which cities make the 8 city cut.

There will only be 8 team in 2022 - that's been stated in multiple reports the past week and meshes with the June original announcement.
Oh ok ya it’s possible they add all the throwback merch on the site. I thought you meant grow to 15 or start with that and was gonna say lol
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:06 am

Oh ok ya it’s possible they add all the throwback merch on the site. I thought you meant grow to 15 or start with that and was gonna say lol
I don't see them expanding beyond 8 teams (4 games a week) untill they have the TV interest in televising/streaming more games OR when/if they can franchise a team for big $$$ like MLS (though that looks more like a ponzi scheme).
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:23 am
herns wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:06 am

I don't see them expanding beyond 8 teams (4 games a week) untill they have the TV interest in televising/streaming more games OR when/if they can franchise a team for big $$$ like MLS (though that looks more like a ponzi scheme).
I think the TV interest will be there year 1 to justify expanding to like 10. Gotta get the team owners I’m like though as well which seems like one of the more difficult steps
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Like I said 8 of 15 - what a guess! Its a teaser! Not bad for no insider info!

https://xflnewshub.com/alt-football/pot ... -in-total/

>> Potential USFL Team Names & Cities Revealed, 15 Cities In Total

When the league returns to play in April for its 10-week run plus 3-weeks of playoff games, it will include 8 teams. One of which has already been confirmed as the Birmingham Stallions. That leaves seven other teams from the list above need to be finalized. <<