USFL sweetening the deal for Birmingham?

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
4th&long
MVP

USFL sweetening the deal for Birmingham?

Post by 4th&long »

Sounds like USFL is sweetening the deal for alt-FB hungry city of Birmingham to make a deal...

https://twitter.com/JonWVTM13/status/14 ... 3663855620

>> USFL News Retweeted
@JonWVTM13@JonWVTM13
Replying to @FarmerCard
I was told today...the Birmingham Stallions will return in this league. If the deal goes through...
4:55 PM · Oct 13, 2021·Twitter Web App <<
laxtreme56
Coach

Re: USFL sweetening the deal for Birmingham?

Post by laxtreme56 »

As mentioned before there's lots of if, and's, and but's to this potential deal. I'm sure Birmingham is hungry for the deal to go through, they've got a huge brand new stadium that's going to sit empty most of the year. This is like when the Sprint Center was hyping up the Kansas City Command in the rebranded AFL to show it was a major league arena. 10 years later, and besides the occasional concert or rodeo event, that $300 million+ arena sits vacant. I'm sure Brian Woods is still the puppet master in all this, but keeping his name out of the limelight. With his track record, it's better to say Fox and NBC are behind this deal then tarnish his name even more than already is.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Not surprising Birmingham is hot after the USFL - they've seemingly been in on every alternative football league and have made no bones about their desperation to be involved in them.

I'm not sure the importance of having city-specific teams if they're playing all the games in Birmingham. I wonder what kind of marketing/interest there will be in those cities where teams won't even play games?
@gregmparks
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

That would make sense, I saw the reporter breaking the Birmingham news said the other locations they considered bubbling at was San Antonio and Austin. That info combined with their trademarks make me think those 2 markets will get teams
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:50 pm That would make sense, I saw the reporter breaking the Birmingham news said the other locations they considered bubbling at was San Antonio and Austin. That info combined with their trademarks make me think those 2 markets will get teams
I'm not buying everything this Yellowhammer News guy says. He's no USFL expert or top media alot of his reporting may be heresy - Having said that the USFL should have a backup plan and that includes Texas. If Birmingham f##ks this up that may be their last chance at an alt-FB team in a long time.

The League may have city specfic teams names to garner interest in those markets locally and 'spin' it as these teams will be there soon.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:20 am
herns wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:50 pm That would make sense, I saw the reporter breaking the Birmingham news said the other locations they considered bubbling at was San Antonio and Austin. That info combined with their trademarks make me think those 2 markets will get teams
I'm not buying everything this Yellowhammer News guy says. He's no USFL expert or top media alot of his reporting may be heresy - Having said that the USFL should have a backup plan and that includes Texas. If Birmingham f##ks this up that may be their last chance at an alt-FB team in a long time.

The League may have city specfic teams names to garner interest in those markets locally and 'spin' it as these teams will be there soon.
Ya I think it would really hurt interest if the teams aren’t affiliated with cities. I trust the local Birmingham news to be accurate, they interviewed the people in the meetings. Without their info we wouldn’t know anything about the league or where they’re wanting to play
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:55 am

Ya I think it would really hurt interest if the teams aren’t affiliated with cities. I trust the local Birmingham news to be accurate, they interviewed the people in the meetings. Without their info we wouldn’t know anything about the league or where they’re wanting to play
I do trust the LOCAL Birmingham news, local big net affliates and large press AL.com as well. YellowHammer? not so much butI'm sure they are directionally correct.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:08 pm

I do trust the LOCAL Birmingham news, local big net affliates and large press AL.com as well. YellowHammer? not so much butI'm sure they are directionally correct.
The part of the stallions returning came from Birmingham’s local news and actually the guy that broke all the news first not yellow jacket
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:38 pm
4th&long wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:08 pm

The part of the stallions returning came from Birmingham’s local news and actually the guy that broke all the news first not yellow jacket
Correct - I think I posted that on the board somewheres

- on a side note IOWA s##ts bed today to Perdue
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Heh, proving they had no business beating Penn State (and had Clifford played the whole game they wouldn't have)